Alright, I'm sure you've read it before and probably been through it; someone bought a setup and loved it but is no longer enough for them. That is also me at the moment and that is what this is about.

What I have:

2010 Chevy Malibu

2 12" fully loaded Fi Q 12s in a sealed enclosure approx. 3 c.f. (built for sealed because of lack of trunk space for ported box)

no upgraded alternator (reason: not easily accessible and no one pimps these malibus, so they don't make those componenets and when they do, they're expensive)

2400 Kinetik battery in trunk

bigger battery upfront (duralast platinum/gold whichever they said was better, lol)

Hifonics Brutus BRZ-2400

0 gauge and big three, but no dimming or anything at the moment
setup wired to 1 ohm

What I want:

to be significantly more powerful but still have great sound quality (on the highway)

to still be able to get quality bass also at lower power levels (when crusing through the city)

What can I do to get from where I am to where I want to be?

1. will more power to the Q12s make a significant difference? or would the difference in power be miniscule as the subs may be close to peak performance at 2400?

2. Would the BTLs be the way to go to get that BOOM? heard they need a boatload of power to actually make them much different from the Q line **just from what I have read, no personal experience**

ANY/ALL advice is appreciated. know how to help me out? please do! Think I'm doing something horribly wrong? tell me!

P.S. installed my first system 5 yeas ago and have done 4 since, not a bass expert but know more than the average Joe

My vote would be building a ported box. Most cost effective way to gain output in your situation. A Malibu should be able to fit a pair of 12" ported unless there is something funky going on in that trunk.

In most cases adding power hits a wall of diminishing returns, increasing the efficiency of your enclosure will yield more results than just throwing more power.

Liken it to a track car, you don't just start off with adding 100 more HP, you adjust suspension, weight, tires,  and finally when you have that dialed in you add more power. What you have is a solid foundation of equipment just build upon it. I would look into doing a ported box, I am surprised you only could get 3Ft^3 in a malibu, modify or spend some time really seeing what you can squeeze out size wise.

I recommend a ported box designed by someone that knows what they are doing. The BTL is definitely not the answer. 

You need front stage bad. For bass the box is the first step

You need front stage bad. For bass the box is the first step

this

I've had a hell of a time getting a substage I'm happy with in my 2011 Malibu. Tried about 3 different enclosures and sub combos. im convinced it has something to do with the car. I'm sure my install isn't best of the best but it just hasn't come together for me. I was able to get 4 cubes ported into the trunk opening

null.jpg

Edit- I never sealed around my box with any wood or anything perminent but I stuffed 2 sweatshirts on each side trying to fill the gap. Still wasn't impressed

Edited by smashedz28

Forsure try a ported enclosure. And has to be designed for your subs. . I just did an enclosure in a newer malibu and got over 4 cubes net in there

I've had a hell of a time getting a substage I'm happy with in my 2011 Malibu. Tried about 3 different enclosures and sub combos. im convinced it has something to do with the car. I'm sure my install isn't best of the best but it just hasn't come together for me. I was able to get 4 cubes ported into the trunk openingnull.jpg

Edit- I never sealed around my box with any wood or anything perminent but I stuffed 2 sweatshirts on each side trying to fill the gap. Still wasn't impressed

Have you faced subs and port back?

I've had a hell of a time getting a substage I'm happy with in my 2011 Malibu. Tried about 3 different enclosures and sub combos. im convinced it has something to do with the car. I'm sure my install isn't best of the best but it just hasn't come together for me. I was able to get 4 cubes ported into the trunk openingnull.jpg

I've learned the hard way that pillows, comforters, towels and other stuff like that wont give you the true effect of sealing off and firing forward. Once I finally used foam and panels to seal it, definitely made a difference. Edited by jay-cee

I loved my BTL n2 ! But you have enough(good)  subs to please you !

Work on the frontstage if you want to fully enjoy your music. It's the most important part for your ears :) 

A new ported box should not be so hard to fit in your car, unless you want to keep trunk space.

My car is exactly the same way. I just said hell with it and put subs and port facing backwards. Shit slams.. Turn it around with out sealing it off.. Sounds like a 10 inch walmart kicker in a sealed box.

Have you faced subs and port back?

Yes I have. This car just is a pain in the ass for me. Tried many different boxes and setups. Taken the box I pictured with the sundowns and put them in my buddy's Grand Prix and it slammed. Back to my car it sucks. If the rear seats aren't down its embarrassing. I have more than one vehicle so I offically said fuck it on this car. So tired of trying different shit and being unhappy. I'm not going to foam it or anything else more perminent to further ruin the car and still potentially be unhappy. I've never in my life had so much trouble getting a strong sub stage in a vehicle like this one.

My car is exactly the same way. I just said hell with it and put subs and port facing backwards. Shit slams.. Turn it around with out sealing it off.. Sounds like a 10 inch walmart kicker in a sealed box.

Been over a year since I turned the box around, maybe I'm due for another try. I've posted my frustrations on this vehicle in the past. Wasn't much help. I'm convinced it's the vehicle. Had a single 12" ICON in there and it was total ass. Turn around stick same sub and box in my buddy's car and omg. Sub is amazing! Sounded louder and cleaner than his existing Fi Q 12". Back into my trunk and it's garbage. Lol. Enough complaining. Good luck with your install buddy. Hope you get better results than me

Been over a year since I turned the box around, maybe I'm due for another try. I've posted my frustrations on this vehicle in the past. Wasn't much help. I'm convinced it's the vehicle. Had a single 12" ICON in there and it was total ass. Turn around stick same sub and box in my buddy's car and omg. Sub is amazing! Sounded louder and cleaner than his existing Fi Q 12". Back into my trunk and it's garbage. Lol. Enough complaining. Good luck with your install buddy. Hope you get better results than me
What about a low power SQ install instead, with like a pair of IB15's or IB 18 and just go for displacement? Haven't worked on that car before so I don't have an idea of the deadness Edited by SpeakerBoy