Thekid5678

In search of new Sub, Please help

Hey all,   My FI SSD 15 finally bit the dust with a fried voice coil.  I tried to contact FI about possible warranty, but had no luck

So here I am trying to decide on a new sub. My current amp is a Sundown SAE-1200d.   I have heard that they are actually under rated, and push more like 1300-1500.   With that being said, what are some recommendations you all would have subwoofer wise?   I am looking for a 15'' btw

I was thinking about a DC Audio level 3, but it seems like they only come in dual 4 ohm.

Any help with this, is greatly appreciated 

~Tyler

I have watched a few videos on the Sundown Sa-15  and it seems to beat pretty hard.   What is your alls opinion on it?

A budget would help!

Would like to try to stay under $300

Edit:  Just curious is an SA 15 could take all of the Sae-1200d  or if I should look for something a little beefier

Edited by Thekid5678

It's a bit more than your budget, but Icon or Ethos would kill :D

Don't want to get off topic, but do you know why you fried the coil on the SSD?

Just want to make sure you don't spend more hard earned $$$ on equipment and then ruin it again.  

Don't want to get off topic, but do you know why you fried the coil on the SSD?

Just want to make sure you don't spend more hard earned $$$ on equipment and then ruin it again.  

Not exactly sure what fried it.  I ran that setup for more than 3 years.   I was driving to work, and had my system up pretty loud, hit a really low note, then no more sub.   

Couldn't figure out what the issue was until, I checked the voice coil's and one was bad.

It's a bit more than your budget, but Icon or Ethos would kill biggrin.png

Wouldn't the icon be a bit overkill for my amp?

Edit:  Just saw a video on one on an Sax-1200,  and it was slammin!

Edited by Thekid5678

Overkill, underpowered, under rated - all are misnomers in car audio.

Wrong thread Mikel...

You say they are misnomers,  But I want to make sure what I get is correct for my setup.  And if a Sae-1200d  would be a good amp to push a SSA Icon 15.

Depends on enclosure and environment, as well as settings. It could be just right, but could be too much or too little...

There are a ton of variables

Every subwoofer in your thread would work great with 100 watts of input.  They just get louder as you add more power.

Additionally, you can blow just about any subwoofer in this thread if you try hard enough with the amp you already have (it can produce roughly 2.4Kw under the right circumstances) and that is beyond the thermal ratings of almost any subwoofer...

You say they are misnomers,  But I want to make sure what I get is correct for my setup.  And if a Sae-1200d  would be a good amp to push a SSA Icon 15.

Push is a very strange word.  It is something you do with your arms.  While yes, you could physically push your sub I'd prefer to play music through it.

The problem you have right now is you care about the difference between 912w and 982w.  Reality check, you won't hear the difference.  Of course as you read that you scoffed and were thinking, no I care about the difference between 1200w and 1300-1500w.  Well, reality check, you won't hear the difference.

I think the rest of my terminology you can come up with your own analogy but if you need help we are here.

On a more positive not, it'll pair nice and its a great sub.  It'll be more than fine with your amp as well.  Next step is to make sure you have an appropriate box.  I normally start with that before even shopping as if the design doesn't fit...

Ethos on sale right now only 8 left...just saying

Edited by Antoine'stahoe155+

After Quentin's actions on here and his blatant disrespect for his customers I would have no interest in an Ethos.  He's in it for one thing only and that is not the consumer.  I've also seen an inordinate number of failures with his drivers, I am not jumping to conclusion saying it is the driver but just stating that it is noticeable.

Well I dont bash people and I dont know him on a personal bases but I will not bash him or is product...will I buy more yes sorry u had the bad hand on things...right now im Team DSS and will continue to promote is product when ever I can...

He is not bashing just stating facts so stop making everything out to be worse than what it is. Skar had its followers too so we don't expect anyone to jump off the DSS bandwagon either. Some people had success with his products and others didn't.

Well I dont bash people and I dont know him on a personal bases but I will not bash him or is product...will I buy more yes sorry u had the bad hand on things...right now im Team DSS and will continue to promote is product when ever I can...

What made you go with dss? What do you like about them vs other subs you've had?

that wasn't a bash.

Like how he bought your love. "On the team" so I'll promote tells a story.

What made you go with dss? What do you like about them vs other subs you've had?

What made you go with dss? well at the time money was tight (family first) so i want a sub and i keep asking other companys about there product and want to no if they offer a payment plan...(no company did so i asked ssa say no) came across there forum and seen Senchez Richardson build read up on it and seen he was running there subs and i email DSS so happens he had a layaway(BINGO) so i read up on it did not know half the stuff i was reading and still dont know lol...so i went with it...

What do you like about them vs other subs you've had?

can not answer this question i would say first subs i own was never in to car audio...now i had kicker cvrs, L7, rockford fosegate p1 p2 but i bought them just because...now what i like about these subs is i can burp them on sundays at comps and put up good numbers, I play them all day on my short list of hip hop and r&b playlist. and the fact not alot of people have them and thats what i like

that wasn't a bash.

You didnt know you cant feel special without being on a team. :P: Its hilarious how people act like that is the biggest goal in life, joining a car audio team.

that wasn't a bash.

You didnt know you cant feel special without being on a team. :P: Its hilarious how people act like that is the biggest goal in life,

joining a car audio team.

yeah i guess you right...all these teams out here in this car audio world damn....

how about we get back on subject and help this guy out...

Ok, so I think I am leaning towards an Icon 15.   Just curious though.  SPL is nice and all, but I'm looking for ""SQL"", but can get loud at the same time.   Do you think this sub would give me what I am looking for, or should I look at something else?    

Also before anyone brings up building a proper box and tuning it correctly...   I know :-)

Edit:  also thinking about a Sundown X

Edited by Thekid5678