Thekid5678

In search of new Sub, Please help

Post dimensions of enclosure and port for more help.

You wouldn't have to explain everything iF you just posted some pictures.

I have been super busy, sorry. Will try to get a couple photos uploaded tonight

I have been super busy, sorry. Will try to get a couple photos uploaded tonight

Also I have to tell you all. I paid a local car audio shop to build my box.  didn't want to say anything, because it is kind of embarrassing.   I told them what I wanted, which was between 7.5 and 8 cubes tuned to 30hz, with a big slot port at the bottom.   They did not do what I asked, and went by some computer software that they use.   Now then, I drove 35 minutes to the next closest car audio shop, and they used some tools that plugged into my rca ports on the amp, and tested the woofers, and they said the tuning is wayyyy off.      So where I'm at right now, is I stopped by the shop that built the box today, and told them that I was not happy with the results.  Of course the manager was out of town, so I won't know anything until tomorrow afternoon at the soonest.      I will still get some pictures up for you guys though.  Going to go get gas and run a couple errands, and I'll take the pictures then.  Should be uploaded somewhere around 10:00pm central.

Here are two pictures of the box, and a short video. The bad sounding bass can't really be heard from the video,  but it might give you all an idea. 

l06bMW4.jpg

CMW4OSV.jpg

Look like your port is choking(too small) but thats just my view other s might say different...

That's what I was thinking.  Like I said, I asked them for a big slot port, and this is what they gave me. Also I wanted the box tuned around 30 hz, and Im pretty sure its somewhere around 35 hz.      Just to make sure though, 30hz tune and a big slot port should give me what i'm looking for right?  Here is a couple images that I posted in an earlier post, that I snagged from smd forums.   
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd393/JoeDurkham/mrdbottom.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt179/john253a/asasdasdasd.png

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd393/JoeDurkham/mrdbottomTR.jpg

Edited by Thekid5678

Dude holy shit, take the box back and tell them you want your money back or a different box. You didn't get what you paid for. This is like the 10th time ive seen shops fuck people over on boxes. just try to take some measurements on the port dimensions and box dimensions and calculate the approximate tuning and its probably going to be nowhere near what you wanted.

And also mention the port area, there looks to be the size of a 6-7 inch aeroport which is around 40 inches of port area. IF you divide that by 7.5 cubes your looking at 5 inches of port per cube... Its basically a leaking sealed box with a tuning in the high 50s i would assume.

I will build you a BOX if you dont have the tool's but you will have to get all the measurements and stuff like that. for free since there taking my Saturdays from me if you like bro

I can get you the dimensions and we can go from there. I don't think I could let you do it for free though.   Would you like Birch or Mdf?

Edited by Thekid5678

Here is what I have to work with. I could always go taller, but only if we have to.  28" Deep  21" High  41" Wide

Edit:  Or hell, we could just wall it rofl2.gif   lol

Edited by Thekid5678

And also mention the port area, there looks to be the size of a 6-7 inch aeroport which is around 40 inches of port area. IF you divide that by 7.5 cubes your looking at 5 inches of port per cube... Its basically a leaking sealed box with a tuning in the high 50s i would assume.

No.  #1, there is no rule for port area vs. enclosure displacement.  #2 Even if it were a 40in2 vent it would still behave 100% as a Hemholtz Resonator (a port).  You may get compression at full output, all dependent on drive power. 

Just verify tuning with a source that plays test tones.  Tuning is where the cone moves the least.

The only way to to know if that vent is too small is to model and look at vent velocity.

So I spoke with the shop again today, and the guy that I have been talking to finally talked to his manager. He said the box is built to sundowns specs for the subs on their website, and that I have no ground to stand on. I told him that I anm not happy,that anything below around 38hz sounds like shit, and that I was mad that they didn't do what I asked with flush mounting etc. He said well we can setup an appointment to look at it. Do any of you have any idea as to what I should do? I spent almost $500 on this box and it's really starting to piss me off

So I spoke with the shop again today, and the guy that I have been talking to finally talked to his manager. He said the box is built to sundowns specs for the subs on their website, and that I have no ground to stand on. I told him that I anm not happy,that anything below around 38hz sounds like shit, and that I was mad that they didn't do what I asked with flush mounting etc. He said well we can setup an appointment to look at it. Do any of you have any idea as to what I should do? I spent almost $500 on this box and it's really starting to piss me off

First i would take those subs out and post exact measurements of the box.. Port and everything. Then you will have the correct information to argue your case when you meet back up with the shop. Its hard to argue and say something is wrong like the tuning when you don't know exactly what its tuned to.

Get your money back. Regardless if they built it to Sundowns specs it was not built to what you wanted. Did you provide a design and/or cutsheet when you went? If so do you still have a copy?

You dont build a box the way you want too just because you're a shop. The customer is always right even when wrong sometimes. They might of not liked your design or felt like it wouldnt perform better than a box built to Sundowns specs. But that doesnt give them the right to just change the design without speaking to the customer. Use your words and be cool headed, something should get resolved.

Edited by jay-cee

^^^what he said^^^

Did you use a credit card? If so, if they do not do the right thing I'd call the credit card company.

Unfortunately I paid cash

So whats going on with your box? Did the shop build you a new one?

I haven't got that far yet. They made me make an appointment which was for tomorrow. I had to cancel because I have to go out of town for a family emergency. I will keep you all updated though.

Edited by Thekid5678

for $500 USD  I would have built you a massive Kerf flared port that looked like MickJaggers Lipps tuned bang on 30hz

for $500 USD I would have built you a massive Kerf flared port that looked like MickJaggers Lipps tuned bang on 30hz

Lol...would of been badazz too...