Z71FarmTag

Upgrade factory speakers

I recently got a 2015 Altima 4d, and would like to upgrade the factory speakers. I'm not so much concerned with changing the HU (has b/u camera and steering wheel controls), unless it is absolutely necessary. I'm also not concerned with adding a sub, atleast not yet, but is a possibility in the future. As far as speakers go, I'm looking at going to 6.5's and adding a pair of tweeters. It currently has 4 door speakers, a pair of 6x9's in the deck, and a pair of 3.5's in the dash. My thought is to ditch the 6x9's (or just unhook), replace the 3.5's in the dash with some tweets, and replace the front door speakers (possibly all 4 door speakers). I do plan on running the speakers on an amp, just not sure which one yet. If it is needed I will do door baffles, and some sound deadening. I listen to all kinds of music, literally, it depends on my mood. I enjoy the hit of bass, but also crisp. I want a clean, clear, sound, or as good as I can afford. My budget can be anything under $800, that is flexible if necessary, but would like to keep it around that number.  If I do replace all four door speakers.  I would consider adding the Incriminator audio DPX-6 in the rear doors, or would this make it sound like crap?

Current thoughts on component upgrades:

Incriminator Audio I series 6.5 components

Crescendo Mezzo series 6.5 2-way

Focal Auditor 165S2

Amps choices

Crescendo Symphony S800.4 (possibly to much power)

Incriminator Audio IA6.4 (definately put me over budget)

US Acoustics-Barbara Ann (good price and good power)

You added nothing to the pm even after direction. Share something you like arbitrary brands won't help.

As for the rears that'd be a HUGE waste of money

You told me to take it to a thread, so I did. I was pretty specific as to what I'm looking for and doing. I didn't just arbitrarily pick out speakers....these are what I'm considering. What im looking for is input. Are they good, bad, suck, what? Anyone used them in a car if so, how did they sound? Thank you for telling me adding the dpx's to the rear door is a bad idea. So, should I just not put anything in the rear doors, and unhook the factory's? What other info do u need?

You listed equipment.  Without understanding your needs, likes, desires, no one can help you.  Thought I made that clear already.

Your choices are arbitrary as we have no reference in why you picked them...

And definitely no need for any rears.  Mine are unhooked in the Escalade and rear seat passengers are fine.

Ok. I described what I listen to....everything. Needs would be something I can play louder without distortion. Likes, would be more base, with clarity. I want to be able to distinguish the difference in base and drums, not just muddled sound. Desires, just so I can say I upgraded them. I'm looking for that live band sound, or as close to that as possible within my budget.

The install is more important than the drivers.  As for drivers, you always need to reference what you like.  For instance some people love Focal's, I fucking hate them.  Exceptions to any rule of course.

If you have no basis of comparison then you might as well grasp a straw and go with it, use them as your learning pair.

The install is more important than the drivers. As for drivers, you always need to reference what you like. For instance some people love Focal's, I fucking hate them. Exceptions to any rule of course.

If you have no basis of comparison then you might as well grasp a straw and go with it, use them as your learning pair.

Without jumping too far off topic, what don't you like about Focal? I like the towers I heard, except for the fact that the highs seemed a little too pronounced for my liking.

The install is more important than the drivers. As for drivers, you always need to reference what you like. For instance some people love Focal's, I fucking hate them. Exceptions to any rule of course.

Without jumping too far off topic, what don't you like about Focal? I like the towers I heard, except for the fact that the highs seemed a little too pronounced for my liking.

They hurt my ears.

But I absolutely hate ALL car audio component sets.  Can't say I've heard one worth a damn.  My build tastes and the norm aren't coincident however.

You want to know why I threw focal in the mix.  I have gone to an audio shop in the past and listened to several different speaker setups in their demo room without knowing what brand I was hearing.  I preferred the focals in the end, however it was a different size.  As far as incriminator goes, there are no dealers where I live, the nearest one is just over 90 miles away.  There is also, possibly, one dealer for crescendo where I live, and going to find out today if time allows.  Given my geographical region, and yes it is a larger city, even have an NBA team, they are still behind when it comes to car audio.  We still live with the "mainstream" audio products (rockford fosgate, kicker, jbl, jl, alpine, pioneer).  So, I'm really limited on listening to different brands that I hear so much about.  And, I'm not going to waste money on buying stuff on-line, installing it, listening to it, and then re-selling it if I dont like it.  Just out of curiosity, what is in your Escalade (brand, size, location)?

Don't shy from mainstream.  You have to learn to listen and you can't buy for your ears without doing both.  You need a reference point.  Until you can complain about what a certain set does you won't be able to pick a set that doesn't do that.  I didn't even realize Focal's were in your list.  I don't care about your list.  It is pointless.  The only way to make it meaningful is to list what you've heard and what you like or don't like about them.  Until then the only information you'll get on a forum are from people with internet-boners that only preach to buy what they have installed.  Personally I'd like a bigger choice pool than that.  You could be worse and be like me and just buy one of everything you haven't heard...

Don't limit your listening to car stereo shops either.  Just go critically listen to music at music stores.  Figure out what YOU like.  If you are really in a rush to buy something then shop Craigslist or buy something you can swap out later and not lose a crap ton of money on.  And read this next sentence over at least 10 times: A $100 component set in a proper install will sound WAY better than a $5000 component set just bolted in the doors in the stock location.  Until you comprehend that your shopping is futile.

As for my rig, it has all home audio drivers in it run passive.  Seas U18 doors, Scan-speak D2904 pillars.  The installation was just something I threw in last week while re-wiring everything for a carputer to control the ECU with HP Tuners.  Long term not sure what I'll do, but I like using things out of the audio closet.  This was the 7's I had to choose from in the closet...

IMAG0034_zpsoopvspqq.jpg

Remember the more exotic the cone the harder the eq work.  Install is WAY important.  If you bolt ANY mid direct to your door like they did in the factory they will sound like shit.

A simple baffle and a real driver and the Escalade has more bass with just my "components" than it did with the Bose sub.  And yes, currently I am running sub-less, but I listen mostly to live music and an awful lot of Jazz.  Bass to me is related to an instrument with a very clever name, the Bass.

That's an interesting setup. Well, thanks for the info. I guess over the next several weeks I'll hit up audio shops, and listen to as many different brands as possible. Find the likes and dislikes. Then go from there.

Also, yes. I understand what you are saying about the install.

Share what you like and don't like. Even if you don't get great feedback the thinking it takes to prepare the post will help you more than you can imagine.