Jason Brittain

xoutofmyheadx's slow avy build

Love those Hertz components if those are the XLs.

Yeah they are the xl's. I wasnt sure if iiked them at 1st because theyre so completely diff than the focals. But not much bass or no type set up i think the focals would be better, but with my 15's i do think i like these hertz better.

Loving the changes.  Box looks dope.  the Zcons are great subs.  and 2 3500's?  bet it is sweet!  Hell I like everything about it.lol

Ok so i also picked up a tpi clampeter. I got my amps installed, batteries inatalled. For my initial gain settings how use YouTube 40 Hertz tone but it didn't say anything about being 0 dB or -5 db. Gotta go TuneIn and the clamp on it and I came out with 123.1v and 38.2a which comes out to 4702 watts. These cresendo amps straps are rated at 7000 @ 2ohms. Is this normal because of box rise? I know a lot of people hate that saying. I have no idea what mine is because I haven't put it on a meter yet

yes that is normal.  you will have different power levels throughout the range due to the impedance curve.  

Ok so the first day I had these amps hooked up together I blew two fuses coming off the alternator. I happened to only have 2, 200amp fuses cuz that's all they had in the store when I got them. So I picked up a couple 300 put them in went fine for a day and a half and then I let some kids in the back seat and forgot to tell them about my RCA plugs so they broke one. By taking it and it was totally my fault cuz I didn't have it blocked off. But since then I've decided to change and run one amp per sub.

today I went to a competition and after the competition I put it on term lab out of curiosity. At the beginning of the day I clamped it at 2591 watts for each amp at 14.1v. My drivers window is stuck down 1-1/2in but on the meter and I posted 143.8 @48hz at 13.5v. It was 90 outside and the truck been running awhile. Everybodys scores were down compared to earlier.

Wasn't sure what to expect since I've never done it before. But I know there's things like sealing off the bed from the cab I could have got a higher score my window being cracked open a little bit makes a difference my boxer is not design for SPL. Box specs are 7cu @ 33hz.

I did it out of curiosity because personally I do not give a crap about what the meter says I do it for me and me alone and what it sounds like.

Okay so I found out my voltage gauge is not reading correctly went to adjust it and even just touching it with a screwdriver drop my voltage on the gauge 2v. So I bought a new stinger gauge. So all the way to work today I was bumping pretty hard volume was all the way up to 40 on my Pioneer 4100. now I checked it and that's what I set my gains on so @40hz is what I use to set it with my scole, said I still had another .75-1.0v till clipping on both amps. So i should be perfect. Each 15in 2250 rms zcon is getting 2591watts.

But today in my 10min commute i smelled somethin nasty. Got to work and put my hands on the dust caps and they were pretty hot. Kinda got me scared there for a little bit cuz I don't want to blow myself already even though I do have fresh Recones at home and ready to go in case I do but why would it be doing this? I'm going to double check with my oscope and clamp meter tomorrow. It shouldn't be too much power for the subs what could it be that the box that I have versus the power that I'm pushing does doing it or could it be something else?

The real question is why do you think it "shouldn't be too much power" ?

That is a shitload of power. Obviously you are thermally exceeding what the drivers can take. Doesn't help that your method of measuring power is also flawed. Don't trust the numbers you have, nor how much voltage you "have" until clipping. If you are getting stuff hot it is too much power.

I say number til cliping is cause im at 71.0 volts right now my clamp meter says 36.5amps so unless everything ive read and seen is wrong then volts x amps doesnt equal watts? The oscope shows clippining at somewhere around 72.0 cant remember exactly, so i backed it,down a little bit to where i thought id be safe. Since every sub has an rms rating thats what im goin by how much it can handle. Thats how 99% of everybody,sets up any system. They,dont stamp on t, "take a guess and see if youre right". So if im figuring it out wrong then how do you figure it out? Obviously something is wrong and i thought i,did everything right, which is why im asking, what did i do or did i not do cause i have no idea what went wrong.

If guessing amplifier output were this easy there wouldnt be a need for more expensive tools to determine this value. Music is dynamic and not all frequencies draw the same power output so even if the number you came up was correct your subs would only see that power for maybe a tenth of a second.

Edited by jay-cee

A measurement without posting uncertainty is NOT a measurement. Calculate it once and then you will understand.

I say number til cliping is cause im at 71.0 volts right now my clamp meter says 36.5amps so unless everything ive read and seen is wrong then volts x amps doesnt equal watts? The oscope shows clippining at somewhere around 72.0 cant remember exactly, so i backed it,down a little bit to where i thought id be safe. Since every sub has an rms rating thats what im goin by how much it can handle. Thats how 99% of everybody,sets up any system. They,dont stamp on t, "take a guess and see if youre right". So if im figuring it out wrong then how do you figure it out? Obviously something is wrong and i thought i,did everything right, which is why im asking, what did i do or did i not do cause i have no idea what went wrong.

You didnt use your eyes and ears, i think those are the 2 most important tools when setting up your sub system