SpeakerBoy

Near field music setup ideas for 14x14 room

Edit That setup is long gone, but I do have a question at the bottom of this thread!

To celebrate a new job, i'm going to splurge on a new set of speakers, preamp, wires, some sleeving to hide it all, etc.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'd like to get, especially the bookshelf speakers, as I've heard a pair in person and absolutely loved them. The tweeters especially, light airy crisp, but on to the list.

What do you guys think?

Once I decide on all this, I'm going to rebuild the box for the BTL to be a little more solid, but for now it's getting bedlinered and spiked.

The speakers: JBL LSR308's

http://www.parts-express.com/jbl-lsr308-3-series-8-2-way-powered-studio-monitor--245-8124

The Preamp: Acurus RL-11

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/preamplifiers/acurus/rl-11/prd_118140_1591crx.aspx

New subwoofer amp: Beringher EP4000

http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-ep4000-europower-power-amplifier-2-x-1400w--248-748

The rest is all miscellaneous stuff, i'm sure you've seen wire ties and wire conduits lol but it'll make a big difference in how everything looks.

I also want to get a projector, but my rear projection is still sluggin along so ill wait on that.

I was shopping for used speakers, but between some very beat up sets and only few to choose from locally, i'm okay with spending what I would on the JBL's after giving them a good long listen. Everything I threw at them came out great, or better.

Am I forgetting anything? I just got home from my final interview so I'm super wired :D Been a year since I've had work.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

You are forgetting one thing.  Near field and projector?  Those two things don't go together at all...

Not sure what you are trying to do but it looks again like you are being confused by someone somewhere else as your shopping options and stated desires don't match.

You are forgetting one thing. Near field and projector? Those two things don't go together at all...

Not sure what you are trying to do but it looks again like you are being confused by someone somewhere else as your shopping options and stated desires don't match.

I mean, I have a 52" tv which is probably as big as I'd go in here, so duh no reason right now.

I mean Near field as in small room, am I misusing the term? As you know, I've been looking for new speakers, and since these JBL's have their own amp, I'd just like a nice piece to control them, don't like the source to be the only volume control.

Only reason the projector is even a consideration is because the depth of my tv is upsetting in this room, but I suppose a pawnshop flat panel would be way cheaper.

Gonna come out and say I've never owned, nor shopped for a preamp before.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

That pre-amp is a serious waste of money.  Start the thread with what you want to achieve.  You are allocating a large budget and putting $$ in all the wrong places.

Strong midbass that I can feel in my chest at high volume, precise imaging, I want to be able to close me eyes and say the drummer is to my left.

I'd like something extremely capable in terms of SQ, but it needs to be able to get up and go when I get slutty with the bass knob. I want speakers that play flat down to where I cross the woofer, which currently is 50hz.

I want to be able to bang Young Jeezy, Slim Thug, some Trae, the turn around and get lost in Dark Side of the Moon, or Kind Of Blue. Subtle nuances in classical, etcetera.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

I actually had one of those preamps back in the day...

I would grab a used Adcom on Audiogon if you are going to go 2-channel:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-adcom-gtp-500-ii-preamplifier-tuner-2015-03-25-preamplifiers-92503-riverside-ca

Should be able to score one for around $100 if you have the time...

Also, I didn't look, but do those monitors have single-ended (RCA) inputs for use with consumer gear?

i dont know jack about home audio but its sounds like you should be looking at towers or something larger than monitors. 

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-adcom-gtp-500-ii-preamplifier-tuner-2015-03-25-preamplifiers-92503-riverside-ca

Also, I didn't look, but do those monitors have single-ended (RCA) inputs for use with consumer gear?

Nope, it's quarter inch and xlr's I wanna say, I'm rusty on pro audio terms.

I'm a huge 2.1/2.2 fan.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

i dont know jack about home audio but its sounds like you should be looking at towers or something larger than monitors.

I have 3 way towers that are a ten, a five and a horn, but whether it's these specific one, or the size of my room, being so close to them, I feel like I can tell which speaker is playing what frequency, instead of just a point source. I also made the mistake of premade crossovers as a cheap solution to blown crossovers in these when I got em.

I feel totally fucked since I am quickly falling in love with true SQ AND I like it loud occasionally.

Yall can be flat out honest with me lol, high end is a new game to me. I'm from the land of dumpster diving, garage sales, speaker backpacks and bikes. I've got a long way to go.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Nope, it's quarter inch and xlr's I wanna say, I'm rusty on pro audio terms.

I'm a huge 2.1/2.2 fan.

I would look at something more consumer geared, you may have issues driving those balanced inputs.  

I have 3 way towers that are a ten, a five and a horn, but whether it's these specific one, or the size of my room, being so close to them, I feel like I can tell which speaker is playing what frequency, instead of just a point source. I also made the mistake of premade crossovers as a cheap solution to blown crossovers in these when I got em.

I feel totally fucked since I am quickly falling in love with true SQ AND I like it loud occasionally.

Yall can be flat out honest with me lol, high end is a new game to me. I'm from the land of dumpster diving, garage sales, speaker backpacks and bikes. I've got a long way to go.

iirc your towers are jacked up. poor separation could be attributed to a number of things. how close we talking? when i hear near field i'm thinking computer desk  

iirc your towers are jacked up. poor separation could be attributed to a number of things. how close we talking? when i hear near field i'm thinking computer desk
I will measure them as soon as I scrape my noodles off the stove lol.

8'6" from speaker to where my head is at listening position. L/R are symmetrically placed. Woofer is next to the right speakers. Horns at ear level, along with mids. Midbass is slightly lower.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Don't think it's worth a new thread, so I'll tack it on here

I have a pair of IDQ 15 v1's i'm using for lowend in my listening room, currently off to the left and in a single box. Would my stage benefit from having one on each side, a 2.2 arrangement? I'll get a pair of boxes and a second amp if it's worth it.

Room shape doesn't appear to affect response at listening position.

image.jpeg

Edited by SpeakerBoy