Sign in to follow this  
antoinez28

box rise

So I hate posting help ? On here but here I go again....can some body help me find how to bring down my box rise I will like to get as close to 2 ohms as I can....right.now I rise to 3.5 and I was searching on here but cant find nothing...I no bracing and better airflow accounts so I just need to be pointed in the right direction thats all

No such thing as rise, Im guessing your trying to find ways to build a more efficient enclosure. There is a write on here about impedence, I'll try to find it.

No such thing as rise, Im guessing your trying to find ways to build a more efficient enclosure. There is a write on here about impedence, I'll try to find it.

The inductance in a speaker does change when you put it in a box though.... it shouldnt be called "rise" however. The inductance can be affected by any dielectric.

Edited by khinds94

You can't find anything because there is no such thing as "box rise".  Never has been, never will be...

What you do have is a system impedance response.  It both rises and falls.  The system impedance is primarily influenced by the enclosure.

If you know what your tuning and enclosure volume is you can pretty much model an exact system impedance plot.  That will tell you exactly what your impedance is at every frequency.

The only way to change the system impedance (e.g., you want to lower it at a certain point) is to change the alignment (tuning and volume) or change the driver voicecoil configurations.  Bear in mind, if you change the system impedance you are also changing the system response, so just trying to lower it at a certain point may be detrimental to overall output or sound quality.

ImpedanceCurve.gif

Here is a sample impedance curve.  The two peaks are above and below the resonance (tuning) of a 4th order enclosure.  The gradual rise above 300Hz is due to voicecoil inductance.  So, you can see how manipulating tuning will manipulate impedance.

The inductance in a speaker does change when you put it in a box though.... it shouldnt be called "rise" however. The inductance can be affected by any dielectric.

No.  The impedance changes.  This is due to much more than inductance....

No.  The impedance changes.  This is due to much more than inductance....

The change of inductance changes the overall impedance of the speaker. A speaker is comprised of a resistance (Zr) and inductive load (Zl) in series. The inductive resistance (Zl or jwl) can be altered by either changing the frequency or changing the inductance L. So yes.

Edited by khinds94

So why do people say "im raising to or after box rise I'm at" thanks for looking for me by the way Edited by Antoine'stahoe155+

So why do people say "im raising to or after box rise I'm at" thanks for looking for me by the way
Just a common misconception really. Yes impedence fluctuates but it doesn't just rise. 95Honda is the man to talk to as he knows this subject way more than me. Edited by jay-cee

So why do people say "im raising to or after box rise I'm at" thanks for looking for me by the way

Because they are retards.

I wrote a tutorial about impedance that was pinned on here a few years, it is somewhere in the advanced section more than likely...

It is much more Re and Xl.  You are confining your definition to the actual voice coil inductance.  You are forgetting about all the other properties that effect the overall impedance.  But I am not going to argue with you.

*Edit.  Quote fail...

It is much more Re and Xl.  You are confining your definition to the actual voice coil inductance.  You are forgetting about all the other properties that effect the overall impedance.  But I am not going to argue with you.

*Edit.  Quote fail...

Not trying to argue. I'm curious where you learn about these properties. Did you just read online or do you go to school for this?

Mostly before the internet.  Engineering classes.

When you look into all the parameters of the loudspeaker system as a whole, there is much more than the voicecoil.

It is amazing the amount of knowledge that there was on these types of topics available before the internet. Then, with the internet, came widespread misconceptions and myths, that so many are accepting as truth, cause they've seen it regurgitated so many times on forums, but have never done any actual research into.

The internet, IMO, has been the bane of knowledge, and brought on an era of morons.

*note: this above comment is not directed at anyone in particular, but more, a personal observation of society on a whole.

Edited by nigel