Sign in to follow this  
Burke

Distance Between Ports and Hatch

I apologize for asking a question that has been asked plenty of times before, but I couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for. I have an OBS Tahoe with 2 18s, subs up ports back (4 aero ports along the bottom). I need to secure the box to the floor, as it's shaking around pretty badly. My question is, is there an optimal distance to have between the end of the port and the trunk lid? I've read where people just say to put it at different distances and just try it out, but this is no help to me because A. I don't have a termlab and B. the box is moving so rapidly that it pushes itself away in a few seconds anyway. I'd rather not drill holes through the floor until I have an idea as to where said holes should be.

I appreciate the help in advance. I'll post up a picture of the setup during my next break at work if anybody needs a better idea of the placement I'm talking about.

Thanks guys.

How far is the box from the hatch when pushed back as far as you want it?

What size are the ports?

Truthfully, for looks, I'd go as far back against the seats as I could, but iirc I think you want at least port radius distance from the hatch? Could be diameter as well, I'm not completely sure. More room won't hurt it though.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

What size are the ports?

6" aero ports

How far is the box from the hatch when pushed back as far as you want it?

I've got around a foot of room to work with. When the box is against the back seat, there's about a foot between the front of the box and the hatch.

I'm just not sure if the box being closer to the hatch is more efficient than it being as far away as possible.

Edited by Burke

Truthfully, for looks, I'd go as far back against the seats as I could, but iirc I think you want at least port radius distance from the hatch? Could be diameter as well, I'm not completely sure. More room won't hurt it though.

I forgot to mention that I'd like a bit of room for the amps between the seat and the box. This 7K has fans on the bottom, so I need to figure out a way to elevate it from a flat surface.

What size are the ports?

6" aero ports

Yup.

I have had better results with the port pretty close to the hatch. Close to the width of the port

I have had better results with the port pretty close to the hatch. Close to the width of the port

Me too

For me its always been 6" from the hatch even alot of tahoe people I know peak was higher at 6" from the hatch....