audiohz

Sa 12 crossover past 50hz

Setting up this sa 12 in my brothers car its in a 2.25 ported box tuned to 34hz. It's in a eclipse . if we get the crossover past 60hz the sub sounds horrible. Should the sa be able to play naturally past that say up to 80 or 90hz?

Setting up this sa 12 in my brothers car its in a 2.25 ported box tuned to 34hz. It's in a eclipse . if we get the crossover past 60hz the sub sounds horrible. Should the sa be able to play naturally past that say up to 80 or 90hz?

Yes, the problem is probably in the gain setting. What amp are you using?

its a Sundown saz 1500 running @ 2ohm

one d4 sub

Personally from all the drivers I've used I'm always happiest crossing low (50-60hz). 80hz and it starts sounding muddy.

That's quite a bit of amp for that box and subwoofer, try turning down the gain a bit and then turn the crossover up.

Though I agree with SSH, crossover above 50-60Hz is too high for my taste, it's a SUBwoofer.

Edited by kirill007

Using more descriptive terms than horrible will help find a solution although I bet the gains are way too hot as well

The enclosure also plays a large role in the bandwidth of the subwoofer. I usually have a ~60hz crossover but all of my recent installs have used 3" coil drivers which inherently have more inductance.

3" more inductance?  Than what?

That's quite a bit of amp for that box and subwoofer, try turning down the gain a bit and then turn the crossover up.

Though I agree with SSH, crossover above 50-60Hz is too high for my taste, it's a SUBwoofer.

He's only putting 800w rms to a 600w rms sub or less depending where he has the gain set.

But I agree that 60hz to 70hz is a better crossover point.

I agree 2.25 cu ft. is too big for 800w rms.

Edited by pmureika

Shop set his gain with a o scope on a 40hz -10db tone.. We definitely got to lower the gain down . from what I take with how that set the gain it would have the amp trying to put out 1000 watts+ or better... Hu is a 4 volt pioneer and the amp gain is slightly past half way.

Edited by audiohz

Shop set his gain with a o scope on a 40hz -10db tone..

How arbitrarily stupid. Not sure what they thought the scope brought to that game. Doh.gif

Shop set his gain with a o scope on a 40hz -10db tone..

How arbitrarily stupid. Not sure what they thought the scope brought to that game. Doh.gif
we went back set the gain by ear crossover now around 75 to 80hz. Over all sounds much better... The clip light flickers on hard notes but was told not a big issue.