tysonm

How to tell if is a sub is good or bad without an enclosure?

I have always wanted to try out a kicker L7 and I found a 12" Kicker S12L72 for $180 without an enclosure. Since I do not know how stiff the suspension is supposed to be on the sub since I've never owned one. How am I supposed to know if it's blown or even working correctly?

Thats pretty pricey man. I'd look around some more.

For $180 i'd consider buying something new, or shopping around for a better deal on those kickers. I love my brother's L715's but I don't think i'd be okay with paying as much for them as he did.

Yeah, I looked around online and found them brand new for around $220, so I will barter with the guy and see if I can get him to $130. How would I be able to tell if the sub is good or not though without it being in an enclosure?

Im not a fan of buying used as you never know the abuse it has been put through, not saying you cant find gems when buying used. Do you have access to a DMM to measure the coils.

I have one but I don't really know how to use it. The reason why I say that, is the last time I tried it on two brand new DVC 4 ohm icon subs and it kept telling me they were .5 ohm if I remember correctly.

Also, I don't like used either, but the sub looks cosmetically 10/10 and he said it was never hooked up, just sat in storage for a year and that's why he is selling it.

I have one but I don't really know how to use it. The reason why I say that, is the last time I tried it on two brand new DVC 4 ohm icon subs and it kept telling me they were .5 ohm if I remember correctly.

Also, I don't like used either, but the sub looks cosmetically 10/10 and he said it was never hooked up, just sat in storage for a year and that's why he is selling it.

I personally wouldn't buy it without testing it first. I would tell him that you will give him $50 for it. Unless he can show you it works.

Whats your budget on a sub? Did you check to see what the SSA store has to offer?

180 for a used 12" L7 ? That's a lot of money.

I'd buy something new with that budget : take a look at the SSA subs, or at Sundown, Soundqubed, Incriminator,...etc

Even working, $100.

Check the resistance of the coils (won't match impedance but be close), push on it mechanically for noise, go ahead and play it free air with a source (just not with much power or it'll bottom out easy), and visibly inspect it.  No way, no how do you buy it without doing all the above.

Touch the two leads together and see what the meter reads. It might just need new batteries.

Even working, $100.

Check the resistance of the coils (won't match impedance but be close), push on it mechanically for noise, go ahead and play it free air with a source (just not with much power or it'll bottom out easy), and visibly inspect it.  No way, no how do you buy it without doing all the above.

I agree 100%, this should be the bare minimum.  Carefully playing it free air should alert you to any problems it may have.  You sure don't want to bottom it out but getting it moving a bit to check for problems is necessary.