99gpgtx

Needing a new Box design for my Loaded 12" Q

The Box design i used from a guy from SMD didnt pan out so well, i honestly think the port length was longer than in my plan.... It sounds like it tuned to 42hz instead of 32hz. That being said im hoping SSA forum can help!! Keep in mind id really like to keep the box either as wide and shallow or flat/wide/deep as possible. Basically im trying to fit the golf clubs in the back, either in front of the box, or on top. 

12" Fi Q on ~1600RMS tuned to 30ish hz. 

thanks for the help fellas/ladies

Nothing works out on SMD.  Misinformation headquarters of the car audio world.

Should start with laying out exactly what you have.  Should make sure that is the problem before building another box.  "sounds like 42Hz" isn't really a good mechanism for making that decision.

By the way a longer port wont raise tuning, it does the opposite and lowers tuning frequency.

Interesting...^^^ maybe more misinformation from smd..

id like to keep in no more than 30wide, 14 tall, 14 deep

update%20measurements_zpslrniwmp6.jpg

Edited by Wes

Box is fine. Smd or not. Your expectations are above your equipment.

Im not expecting too much, im expecting what the capabilities are of the woofer. Iv had JL w3s, FI BL, Fi BTL, DC lvl 4xl. The sub is not performing as well as any of the above. for whatever reason. the box needs to change. im just trying to figure out what is needed. Ngsm13 has  been my box builder in the past. he gave me the go ahead with the current design. its not right. iv been around long enough to realize its not right

https://www.youtube.com/user/99gtxgolfer

Edited by Wes

just for my own education, how does the port length/area determine what the box is tuned to?

Changes the resonance.

Are you sure it isn't your head unit/360 settings that are causing the issue?

Changes the resonance.

Are you sure it isn't your head unit/360 settings that are causing the issue?

That could be very possible...but its hard to say since i cant sync up to the 360 :( 

We did hook up a DD1 and set the gain on the 360 and 1500 bf the HU issue. Higher notes slam, there is just nothing there on the low end :( 

20150830_114501_zpsfcplxgok.jpg

That port firing up and sub as well is going to cause cancellation in a trunk configuration.Why did you not shrink the width and raise the height to keep your desired volume and fire both sub and port at the plate? I have tried every configuration you can have in a trunk type automobile for "shits and giggles" and could not net the output with the same gear firing both at the plate.

That was my desired intent :( the box is about 2" too tall...i wanted it to be wide and shallow so i could fit my golf clubs in the trunk too. When i got the box its just barely too tall to maneuver :(  

That was my desired intent sad.png the box is about 2" too tall...i wanted it to be wide and shallow so i could fit my golf clubs in the trunk too. When i got the box its just barely too tall to maneuver sad.png

I would definitely consider trying to sell your current enclosure,start back from scratch and firing both at the plate if you desire to yield more output with your gear.Your settings could also be a issue as well as was stated,but cancellation is still going to play a huge factor in output with your current position of the enclosure.

That and next time don't use the DD1 for anything but a paperweight.  Useless piece of shit.

I'd measure some test tones on a DMM and see if they are pretty consistent voltage wise coming out the amp to rule out the signal chain earlier.

If you can tell us the dimensions of the enclosure/port we can see how many cubic feet and the tuning

Your cabin gain plays a role in the response graph so you could be tuned to 32 but peak at 42. You need to lower the tuning it you want more low end extensions as the car wants to peak higher

Nothing works out on SMD.  Misinformation headquarters of the car audio world.

fing05.gif   one of my favorite replies from you yet....LOL