SpeakerBoy

Slipping Trans - 1998 'Neer

I name my cars because at this point in my life its so much more than transportation to me. It's my hobby, my job, my personal space, I truly love my car. I feel like having an attachment to it leads to being more motivated to take care of it.

Gotta be careful with you pull yards though, I went that route with my Jeep. After swapping the trans in my driveway turns out the tranny I picked had a bad output shaft bearing...I cried for a few hours then scrapped my Jeep.

Try to add fluid yet?

Really great way to break a functioning auto tranny is to run it low on fluid. Preventative maintenance ftmfw.

It's not the fluid level. I guarantee it.

It's not the fluid level. I guarantee it.

Why do you say that?

Should I still try adding Lucas? I added one the day before I posted this and it helped a little but Im new to diagnosing mechanical issues

I am very familiar with the Ford 4 (AOD, AODE, E4OD, ETC)and 5 speed (5R, 5S, etc) automatic transmissions.

Add whatever you'd like.

I am very familiar with the Ford 4 (AOD, AODE, E4OD, ETC)and 5 speed (5R, 5S, etc) automatic transmissions.

Add whatever you'd like.

No I mean like would it help? In addition to fixing it I'm also interested in learning about transmissions.

No help. No miracle fixes.

Additives are generally speaking a joke and a waste. If they helped the oe would specify that compound in their fluid to begin with.

Additives are generally speaking a joke and a waste. If they helped the oe would specify that compound in their fluid to begin with.

Lucas will help with things like trans shudder. I'm not familiar with Fords, but if he has some trans clutch shudder and not actual slippage it may help. Worked like a charm in my GM truck to fix it. My dad uses it to fix shudder issues at work. To the OP, keep in mind when you add something like Lucas you need to drain an equivalent amount of fluid out so you aren't overfilling the fluid when you add the Lucas.

As to the OP, most trans shops especially the larger regional names (Summit Transmission, etc) will offer financing since the majority of people don't have enough spare cash on hand to pay for an expensive auto repair. You will however have to QUALIFY for that financing, credit and budget wise.

If you are seriously in need of help, I work for a finance company locally that has some referral relationships with local auto repair/trans shops. We deal in higher risk customers primarily, so if the credit thing is sketchy for you I can see what shops we have a relationship with as many of the retail finance companies will generally require you to be a reasonably low credit risk.

Lucas will help with things like trans shudder. I'm not familiar with Fords, but if he has some trans clutch shudder and not actual slippage it may help. Worked like a charm in my GM truck to fix it. My dad uses it to fix shudder issues at work. To the OP, keep in mind when you add something like Lucas you need to drain an equivalent amount of fluid out so you aren't overfilling the fluid when you add the Lucas.

As to the OP, most trans shops especially the larger regional names (Summit Transmission, etc) will offer financing since the majority of people don't have enough spare cash on hand to pay for an expensive auto repair. You will however have to QUALIFY for that financing, credit and budget wise.

If you are seriously in need of help, I work for a finance company locally that has some referral relationships with local auto repair/trans shops. We deal in higher risk customers primarily, so if the credit thing is sketchy for you I can see what shops we have a relationship with as many of the retail finance companies will generally require you to be a reasonably low credit risk.

Slips on first gear and uphill, shudders something awful from fourth to fifth.

Financing is something I'm definitely going to have to look at, this is my only vehicle right now, I'm working on acquiring a second as well.

As far as the amount of work involved here, since I'm keeping the truck either way, should I grab a beater vehicle before messing with the trans?

-double post-

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Your trans only has 4 forward gears.

Explains the slip to the mystical 5th.

No? I can hear it go 1-2-3-4-5

I can count...I think...

For real, I would bet money I have a five speed. If I turn off O/D it'll operate as a four speed though. In fifth gear at 2k im doin about sixty

No? I can hear it go 1-2-3-4-5

I can count...I think...

For real, I would bet money I have a five speed. If I turn off O/D it'll operate as a four speed though. In fifth gear at 2k im doin about sixty

Four gears plus the lockup torque converter. So it's not really a fifth gear.

http://repairpal.com/problems-with-5-speed-automatic-transmission-are-common-331

Edited by pmureika

There was never a 5 speed auto behind a 5.0 until the new Coyote engine. You have the old Windsor. Count as much as you want, but you're incorrect. In fact, Ford did not introduce the 5R trans until the 99 model year and it was only available on 6 cylinder models. It did not make it onto V8 models until 02 when the 4.6 replaced the Windsor.

There was never a 5 speed auto behind a 5.0 until the new Coyote engine. You have the old Windsor. Count as much as you want, but you're incorrect. In fact, Ford did not introduce the 5R trans until the 99 model year and it was only available on 6 cylinder models. It did not make it onto V8 models until 02 when the 4.6 replaced the Windsor.

Read this. Your right not till 2002.

http://repairpal.com/problems-with-5-speed-automatic-transmission-are-common-331

Are you sure it's a 1998?

Edited by pmureika

I know I'm right. I don't need to read anything.

It's nit an 02. They switched to the 4.6 in 02 and there's no possible way anyone could confuse them.

So what's happening after fourth gear? What's the shudder I feel?

and are you referring to overdrive/5th as the torque converter? Tryna get my terminology correct

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Nothing's happening after 4th. You have a mechanical or electrical issue if you feel something. 4th gear is OD, so you have 3 gears, then OD. You won't feel the torque converter unless you have an issue.

Given the age of the vehicle, I'm willing to bet what you think is a trans issue, is actually a driveshaft u-joint or the viscous coupling since it's full time AWD.