Amped Up

NeoPro 6.5 or SA 6.5CS

Putting a Sundown system in our 2009 Tundra DC shop truck and debating on NeoPro 6.5's or the new SA 6.5cs in the front doors. Either set will be sealed and running off a SAX-100.4 at 4ohms backed up with a pair of SD 10v3's on a 1500.1 running 1ohm. looking for SQ over SPL in this build so any and all input would be helpful. Currenlty have a set of SD 6.5's in the door now and was thinking of using the x-overs from them to run the NeoPros but can build a custom x-over if needed.

Thanks,

Edited by Amped Up

Get your shop to buy both and try them out yourself. Sell the pair you don't like.

Give us a review on what you think about them.

You wont be able to use current crossovers with any new speakers you buy, since they are designed to be used with the speakers they are sold with.

The Neo-Pros are pro audio speakers, they dont have the midbass most car audio speakers do but they will give you vocals and clarity if needed. With your setup I personally would stick with a set of components and start from there. If the mids arent enough you can always swap them out in the future. If you went the Neo-Pro route you are gonna need a tweeter as well, since they are only mids sold individually.

Edited by jay-cee

I know some of the higher end sets might have x-overs that are more closely matched for the tweeter and mid they are built for but I wonder how it would sound if I through a set pulled form one of the Sundown components onto the neopros?? Guess there is one way to find out.

Edited by Amped Up

I know some of the higher end sets might have x-overs that are more closely matched for the tweeter and mid they are built for but I wonder how it would sound if I through a set pulled form one of the Sundown components onto the neopros?? Guess there is one way to find out.

You're putting off-road tires on a civic

The neo-pro's geared for a different response than the component set, it'll need a different crossover point to blend the same way. I wouldn't use the pre-existing crossover. You're already using a good amp, why don't you try running active?

Like shit.

If you do separate drivers, buy an active crossover. If you don't buy an active proc just use some components.

I was about to come back and say... why the hell don't I run active, I've already got the amp to do it and it would save time with messing with passives. Gives me way more adjustability too.

Everybody beat me to it, those neo's will be allowed to play frequencies lower than they would like with a passive crossover set from components. Yes active will be your best bet, even if you have components and have the capabilities to ditch the passive crossovers. I would still run active.

Pro audio and amplifier crossovers don't match, need a processor.

Expand a little?

Need sharper rolloffs?

Expand a little?

Need sharper rolloffs?

A processor is not only a crossover. To gain efficiency you generally fuck up everything else.

Add to that amplifier crossovers are pretty useless for an active setup in general anyways and it is a recipe for disaster.

Just for what it's worth, Tuning an active setup takes a lot of time and having to run back and forth between the driver seat and amp to make adjustments not only sucks, but it's harder to notice change. Akin to going to the eye doctor where they ask if left or right is better except they waited a minute between each.

Sort of like carving a turkey blindfolded with only a fork

Calling the Neo Pro's pro audio is being very generous. Sindown (typo, but I kinda like it and am going to keep it) calls them "pro audio" so everyone else followed suit, but really they are bastardized drivers. He used really light soft parts with a stiff suspension to give them that "pro audio" look and Fs. But pro audio drivers notoriously suck in the midbass without a ported enclosure because, well, that's the trade-off to gain efficiency (Hoffmans Law being what it is). Since this feature doesn't sell speakers very well to the car audio market, he weakened the motor to raise the Q to bring some midbass back to the performance. The trade-off here is that efficiency drops back down pretty much to that of a standard driver because of the weak motor.

All said and done what the Neo Pro's basically amount to are a standard driver with really shitty T/S parameters (and hence, performance) and no real usefulness, but good sales because they are cashing in on the "pro audio" craze.

Moral of the story.....I wouldn't try to fit them into your plans.

Calling the Neo Pro's pro audio is being very generous. Sindown (typo, but I kinda like it and am going to keep it) calls them "pro audio" so everyone else followed suit, but really they are bastardized drivers. He used really light soft parts with a stiff suspension to give them that "pro audio" look and Fs. But pro audio drivers notoriously suck in the midbass without a ported enclosure because, well, that's the trade-off to gain efficiency (Hoffmans Law being what it is). Since this feature doesn't sell speakers very well to the car audio market, he weakened the motor to raise the Q to bring some midbass back to the performance. The trade-off here is that efficiency drops back down pretty much to that of a standard driver because of the weak motor.

All said and done what the Neo Pro's basically amount to are a standard driver with really shitty T/S parameters (and hence, performance) and no real usefulness, but good sales because they are cashing in on the "pro audio" craze.

Moral of the story.....I wouldn't try to fit them into your plans.

where in the hell have you been hiding lately? havent seen you post in a while.