Notorious97200

In the market for new 6.5" speakers

Hi guys,

A tinsel lead broke on one of my mid last week. It's impossible to solder properly, to fix that.

So I'm looking for a replacement.

My budget is not high enough to just buy a new set like the Focal KR2 or KRX2.

I was thinking about a set of JBL gti 608 but I can't find one.

I will buy a mini-dsp as soon as the funds are ok, maybe for Xmas. Until then, I will use the passive filters for the Focal tweeters, and I want a set of mids (not to be used on the passive filters).

Crossover at 80 or 100 Hz on my Pioneer head unit.

I saw a lot of people talking about ScanSpeak speakers, like the Illuminator or the Revelators. Can that be a good choice ? I'll change my tweeters for Xmas too.

I can order on madisound.com.

I have absolutely no deadening on my front doors. I only have a wood ring on each mid. Deadening will come ...one day.

Locally : only Focal and ...cheap speakers like Audiopipe, SP Audio, and entry level Pioneer . So there is nothing I can listen to, and make my choice.

I'm more looking into good sound, than loud. I loved those 165 KP Focal mids. I'm so sad now !

Help me please !!!

In my humble and limited opinion if you're planning on running active in the very near future then I would definitely skip buying an automotive component set and go straight to picking out raw drivers and building your own. The manufacturers of the component sets you've looked at cut all kinds of corners to offer those sets and/or worse charge far more for them than they're worth. Take the Arc Audio Black 6.2 components for an example. That's an $1100 set and it was explained by someone on here that Arc sourced the drivers from SB Acoustics and the very same ones can be purchased from Madisound for under $250 and the passive crossovers sure as heck don't make up the rest of the cost. Imagine how much a company actually has in a set that costs $100 to $200.

My point is that if you're going to run active there's no point in wasting money on mediocre at best and more often sub par speakers in some component set when even cheaper raw drivers will blow them away. Look into the ScanSpeak drivers you mentioned, Seas, Dayton, SB Acoustics, HiVi, Morel, Tang Band, Peerless and so many others. You'll be far better off and have less money in it overall.

That's just my .02

I'm ok with what you said, Alton.

I want opinions on those Seas, Scanspeak, and others. I don't know what and how to choose.

Until I buy the mini-dsp I will use the Focal passive filters for the tweeters only.

The mids will be crossed with the head unit and the amplifier crossovers. It's an Incriminator 3.4, and I already have one wire for each speaker going to the amp.

budget : $250 for a pair of mids.

Why not spend $150 on mids and $100 on the miniDSP? Same budget, better performance. If you don't love the mids later sell them and upgrade. It is really hard to shop without hearing some things first.

A used set of Seas CA18 or ER18 would be a great starting point mated wit the miniDSP.

Why not spend $150 on mids and $100 on the miniDSP? Same budget, better performance. If you don't love the mids later sell them and upgrade. It is really hard to shop without hearing some things first.

A used set of Seas CA18 or ER18 would be a great starting point mated wit the miniDSP.

good idea, if I can find something for $150 ! That is cheap, for a pair.

I don't want used speakers. I'm too far away, in case of problems.

I want a dsp with more than 2 sets of rca, to use it on the bass channel too. Is it worth the higher price ?

Otherwise just browse madisound.com and see what fits your budget along with the speaker rings you already have. Then give us a list to help narrow it down.

Edited by jay-cee

I've read about some sb acoustic speakers. I'll find the link.

The Revelator needs a box, terrible IB in a door.

Your price performance is confused.

These aren't good speakers: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dc160-4-6-1-2-classic-woofer-speaker--295-309

....and should be about $16 each; however, they are WAY better than what you will get in a $300 component set.

If you will EVER run active buying a NEW component set is idiotic.

As for your "extra" channel question. That adds a lot of cost and you an always add a second two channel later. The answer lies in your needs. Do you currently EQ your sub? If not, why do you want a proc for it?

If you HAVE to buy NEW a set and need to stay in budget a pair of Dayton RS180's and a Minidsp will Absolutely Destroy any component set that cost WAY more.

It would be good to know what tweeter you are pairing these with too...

I picked up a pair of SilverFlutes for around 40 bucks + shipping and I am very happy with them paired with my MiniDSP and horns.

I've read about some sb acoustic speakers. I'll find the link.

I had SB Acoustics and didnt care for them all that much the more I played with them, I enjoyed my Silver Flutes way better as Julian suggested earlier.

The Revelator needs a box, terrible IB in a door.

Your price performance is confused.

These aren't good speakers: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dc160-4-6-1-2-classic-woofer-speaker--295-309

....and should be about $16 each; however, they are WAY better than what you will get in a $300 component set.

If you will EVER run active buying a NEW component set is idiotic.

As for your "extra" channel question. That adds a lot of cost and you an always add a second two channel later. The answer lies in your needs. Do you currently EQ your sub? If not, why do you want a proc for it?

If you HAVE to buy NEW a set and need to stay in budget a pair of Dayton RS180's and a Minidsp will Absolutely Destroy any component set that cost WAY more.

I will not buy a comp set.

The Seas fits in my budget. Less than $250 for the pair.

I will use the tweeters I already have : the Focal ones : TN52 or 51.

How to choose from both Seas speakers listed, M5 ? I will get a pair with a mini-dsp. 

no need to eq the bass. OK.

I will change the tweeters later. The current ones should work.

I did not pay attention : they're 8 Ohms speakers ! sigh.gifsigh.gif

I need 4 Ohms speakers only. My amp is rated for 4 x 60 @ 4 Ohms IIRC. I was using it ibridged in 2 channels.

I did not pay attention : they're 8 Ohms speakers ! sigh.gif:sigh:

I need 4 Ohms speakers only. My amp is rated for 4 x 60 @ 4 Ohms IIRC. I was using it ibridged in 2 channels.

No you don't. 4 ohm mids are stupid. You gain nothing and lose a lot.

I'm afraid to loose output On a single pair at 8 Ohms.

I may have 30watts on each.

I'm willing to try that !

I always have good advices from this forum.

You don't gain output by going to a 4 ohm speaker. Sure you use twice the power, but even then remember in an ideal world that is a barely noticeable difference IF none of the other parameters change. By default they have to and that is never for the better.

I haven't run 4ohm mids in my car since the 90's.

I cannot wait for ours to be done to solve this topics. ;)

I cannot wait for ours to be done to solve this topics. wink.png

orly3.gif

A set of Seas CA18 or ER18 with the miniDSP : I'm ok for that choice. This will be my fisrt time going active. I'm afraid to blow something, hopefully I will use so little power.

But.......how can I choose between the CA18 and the ER18 ? There is a small price difference, it's all I can say !

The prices are so close now I'd buy the ERs