splxtreme

XCON Bottoming out?

I'm assuming this is the sound of the XCON bottoming out? I had little power on the sub before and just got a new Crescendo amp (1500.1) and decided to see what the excursion looked liked and noticed it started making a noise that sounded like it was hitting the backplate. Visually I guess I was thinking the XCON was going to move a little more before bottoming out. The thing still moves quite a bit. Just thought I would see what you all thought. I only did this for the second time in the video, and won't be doing it again.

Edited by splxtreme

Video link doesnt work. More information will help us help you, box could be an issue among other things.

Fix your link so we can help.

It would be best to be able to see your video, but having had a similar issue from one of my passive radiators I would say that you have a loose dust cap or the surround itself where it attaches to the cone.

Whats the tuning of the enclosure and where is the subsonic set at?

Im with alton. Loose dust cap or surround. Had same thing with a old jl w3.

Video link doesnt work. More information will help us help you, box could be an issue among other things.

Sorry, first time I have posted a video to youtube. Link is fixed.

Not hard to bottem out a sub out of an enclosure. . Whats the specs of the enclosure used and where is your subsonic filter set?

Not hard to bottem out a sub out of an enclosure. . Whats the specs of the enclosure used and where is your subsonic filter set?

After displacement it is 1.3 cubes. I noticed it more when the sub was doing a quick snap, but videos I have seen it looked like they moved more than my sub and didn't make any sound like mine made.

SS is set to 25hz

Edited by splxtreme

In the video it is clearly bottoming out, but it also sounds as if the gains are set too high.

Does it bottom out in the box? (is it a ported box or not?)

What is the enclosure tuned to?

In the video it is clearly bottoming out, but it also sounds as if the gains are set too high.

Does it bottom out in the box? (is it a ported box or not?)

It is a sealed enclosure. I'll recheck the gains as well. I usually play some music that has been recorded at 0db with the gains all the way down. The turn the volume up about 3/4, then slowly turn the gain up until I hear distortion, and then back it off and leave it there. Everything "sounds" really clean. 

Does it do this when mounted in the enclosure?