JJBESTARECOGNIZE6FO

Enclosure Designing

Hey ... I'm new to the forum and this is my First Post .... So I've been building and designing my own enclosure for a while now about over five years ... And the software I use is Torres ... But I want a more accurate and professional software ... So what programs do u guys recommend me using ... Also any equations that will be useful on pen and paper ... Thanks

They say the best way is the pen and paper method. Their is a port calculator and other general information on the internet, try searching for it.

Sorry accidentally submitted this post twice

Welcome to SSA

:WELCOME:

I've used WinISD (free) and Bass Box Pro 6. BBP6 has a lot of fetaures that are useful

Loudspeaker design cookbook is worth the $

From my experience, Winisd, bass box pro and other modeling softwares are great for learning how changing variables like box size and tuning affects frequency response, but you shouldn't rely on them too much. Modeling software is only accurate for modeling frequency response in an open environment, i.e. not inside a vehicle. For example, here's a modeled curve of how my setup would sound were it not in a vehicle:

525sSjU.png

Peaks @ 50hz and by 30hz would experience heavy roll off. In reality, it peaks at 42hz on the meter and is loudest by ear in the low 30's and doesn't really begin to roll off until <26hz. Had I just gone by what the freq. response curve looked like, I would have never expected the setup to perform so well on the low end. 

What I'm getting at with this is, understanding how changing variables in an enclosure will affect the sound is more important than knowing how it will sound in an ideal environment. Unless you have ways of measuring a vehicle's transfer function (how the enclosure's environment will further modify freq. response) , modeling software won't tell you much useful information. 

So guessing is better, lol?  The software tells you everything about the response of the driver which you MUST take into account.  Without that you are blind and stupid.

7 hours ago, ///M5 said:

So guessing is better, lol?  The software tells you everything about the response of the driver which you MUST take into account.  Without that you are blind and stupid.

If you don't know how a particular vehicle's acoustics will affect the response of the sub you put in it, all modeling will do is allow you to do a comparison between two different subs, which is very useful. But just modeling up a single type of sub won't tell you anything meaningful. If NetResponse = CabinGain + SubResponse, and you don't know cabin gain, you can't possibly know the net frequency response of the system.

Trivia question for you.  What do you think you need to measure your cabin response?

That's right, a known source.  Guess how you learn?  It isn't by guessing, lol.

BassBox 6 Pro can include cabin gain in your design model :neil: Once you start doing crazy ish like a wall....

model.JPG

Side Note; cabin response can me measured using a TL and a single 10" in a 1 cube sealed box.