Brad Barcia

Need help with my single cab ranger console box

For the power and space you have, trying to find some magic wazoo sub to blow your doors off is probably going to leave you disappointed. I have had multiple sealed setups that "carried down the road" if that is what your goal is. I knew a guy with a regular cab ranger. He had a single Alpine type-e 10" sealed on about 500-600 watts behind his seat. It wasn't shaking the doors, but it sounded super clean and could be heard for a couple hundred yards. You have enough room in the center console for a sealed 12" maybe even a 15" that is ok with smaller boxes.

I know there's not single woofer that will do everything perfect. I want to get one that makes as much spl in the space I have. I picked up a pre amp line driver today,so that will help to widen the bass frequency. I don't know how I could put a 12 or 15 in ,but I want to know . I could make the box in front of the seats and drop it on a slant?

I don't know what else I'm supposed to do to determine the space. I have given measurements of the space I have to work with , I have given a maximum price on woofers(which can vary abit) , I have given how much rms I have to give it, I don't want a sealed box, 10 inches depth ( this can increase to 20" depth after 5"),10 wide, 34 inches long . Final answer , no telephone a friend, no ask the audience, or multiple choice.

You said you weren't sure on the box and the limits. We recommended you mock up a box. Measurements and reality aren't so coincident for those without a ton of experience. No matter what you need to make that box as big as possible, otherwise your goals won't be reached.

Btw increasing 10" to 20" after 5" doesn't really make much sense...

I know there's not single woofer that will do everything perfect. I want to get one that makes as much spl in the space I have. I picked up a pre amp line driver today,so that will help to widen the bass frequency. I don't know how I could put a 12 or 15 in ,but I want to know . I could make the box in front of the seats and drop it on a slant?

Return the line driver. It will do nothing. You are reading at places that are completely confused.

Your ideas on the boxes are better than a measurement guess. Get out some cardboard. Doing this up front will be HUGE in how the end result is.

Ok I'm looking at Image Dynamics Idq10 and the massive audio hippos. I like the image dynamics all the specs look good especially x max and fs, this looks pretty good to me , I'm pretty sure I could work with its space requirements as well.

The line driver is because my stereo pre-amps are weak and it will kick it up to 8v. The box rises to 20" after 5" to clear my shifter so like the line driver it makes perfect sense. I'm trying to fill in all the check marks good signal voltage(which will be 8v instead of 2-4 maybe) and I'm trying to get all the space I can so after 5 " back height rises to 20-24 all variable for exact volume once a woofer is chosen ,

Preamp voltage isn't quite as important as you seem to believe, especially boosting it up to 8v. Your install output will be limited by the size of your box more than anything else for your situation. Please follow M5 recommendations and see how big you can truly make your box. Help us to help you. Don't bother looking at subs right now when you don't know how big you can make the box. I think I now understand what you meant about the shape of the box and clearing the shifter.

10 inches depth ( this can increase to 20" depth after 5"),10 wide, 34 inches long .

If I am reading this right, that will give you 2.86 cu. ft. internal air space. It would be a box 34"L x 20"H x 10"W but with an angle cut out of the top front(toward front of the cab) to clear the shifter. If you are able to go up to the 24" height you also mentioned, it would bring airspace up to 3.46 cu. ft. Unfortunately  seeing something in your head and actually experiencing it can be very different. 24" high might make it totally awkward to shift, so could 20" hence why a mock up box would be very helpful.

Edited by hdrox88

And the IDQ is terrible for your needs. STOP reading wherever you are, it is filling you full of useless information.

You do NOT need line driver. COMPLETE waste of money. It will add NOTHING to your sound. The only time you EVER need a line driver is if you have thermal noise. That you won't know until things are installed, but as long as you don't buy a piece of junk amp it will not be a problem.

Seriously, STOP searching for equipment. You currently do not have a choosing equipment problem, but a figuring out what you can do for a box problem.

I feel like a stuck record, but I can tell you from history how these threads end. OP builds a box, it is nowhere near the measurements he thought and the purchased sub stinks in the application. Pretty much happens in 99% of threads that go this way. We are trying to help, let us!

You're thinking about this all wrong, if you're trying to get loud outside of the car, listening to music doesn't seem like your core priority. Besides, that's a weird goal to chase, you can only reallllly hear my 2500w 18 " outside if I roll my windows down. Lot cooler to have a sleeper imo, than a box of cans rattling down the road.

A properly designed box will play musically. When you hear peaky setups, or bad sounding systems, something wasn't done properly. If sealed boxed were inherently bad, I doubt we'd still use em :P I think they are one of, if not the easiest ways to get natural sounding bass provided it's the proper size for the driver.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

There's two ways to go about it here: take advice from people who have spent years in the game, OR trial and error until you learn for yourself.

The latter tends to help you learn the lesson for sure, but it's sure easier to let someone else make the mistake for you. I would know, I used to like to ask questions I didnt want to hear I was wrong about. It's learning bruh, it's a process. You wouldn't be asking us if you know how to achieve your goals.

Ok, I understand, I really didn't expect to have people even answer anything, really . I have went on other forums and get no response.I was looking for a quick answer to a long process ,which was stupid.I think I want for something that can't happen ,I don't have the space. So I have to make what I can . With the 24" height will be fine I can rest arm perfect at this height, the shifter goes in to second ,forth and reverse if I bring it back 3 inches but I gave 5 to be sure. I found a bunch of consoles and a couple are for my truck.

If 24" high is good, then the 3.46 cube internal volume before displacements is a good starting point. A ported 12" or sealed 15" should be pretty doable.

On the second pic with the type r it shows the box behind the seats with the sub inverted. Now if I made a box in the center and behind the seats. So the box would look like a T.Would that help ? I can pop out the seats in 5 min ,to install. It may decrease airflow which would help,right? Slow down sound waves is a good thing right? Like polyfil?

I am going to pull out my sub box , and make a template today. I got a bunch of cardboard and I will do my best.Then should I show you guys from the cardboard? Or just measurements?

If the shape is complex measurements and a picture help. No need to have a square box. You are definitely now heading in the right direction!

Generally speaking polyfill is useful for stretching a sealed box, but not so much on a ported. Not that it works differently, but modeling, predicting, and testing takes way longer and is far from straightforward.

In your shoes I'd definitely build a whole console. Contemplating doing the same in my Escalade although it wouldn't house a sub, just better storage and dash integration than stock.

Btw, the Kicker box is crap from a design perspective...no way there is enough volume for that many drivers, not even close.

ok this is what I have, i hope this will work .  I also remeasured after playing with the seats and I have a foot between the seats!  The back comes above the back window a bit but thats ok. The front notch is 5 inches as i said before.

20160125_152305_1.jpg

The line by 17" measurement isn't a division ,I just wanted to give the measurement at that part of the box .Also the front of the box is flat BUT a bigger woofer would fit(12) if it's on a slant.

I found a new little sub amp, MA audio hk-10ka at the pawn shop for 300.00 ,what do you think?

12" deep then?

Your math doesn't work, measuring wrong. Mock it up!! (4+24 ≠ 17+12)

Assuming your wrong measurements are right and that it is 12” wide, your space works out like (3/4 mdf):

(10-1.5) * (12-1.5) * (12-1.5) = 937 cu in

(17-1.5) * (34-1.5) * (12-1.5) = 5290 cu in

4 * 5 * 12 = 240 cu in

937 + 5290 – 240 = 5987 cu in / 1728 = 3.4 cu ft

Taking the Xcon 12” Optimal Pre-designed enclosure from here:

http://products.soundsolutionsaudio.com/index.php/product-information/xcon.html

The port is 2.875” x 13” x 36.75”. Assuming we can use one wall for the port then it takes up:

(2.875+.75) * 13 * 36.75 = 1732 cu in or ≈ 1 cuft

This means you are short about .2cuft for the optimal enclosure and would need to rework those numbers, but generically a 12” will fit….but you should really mock up and double check your numbers as it is close!

this is the sealed one ,i was looking at

00606_dB2ewYI2IV_600x450_5.jpg

00606_dB2ewYI2IV_600x450_4.jpg

ok ill try again

You used my real name

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 323

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 326

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 327

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328

W140 I'm heading in to Advanced Audio and detailing ,on Mon or Tues. Should I say you sent me? I tried and tried but only got 10 inches wide. I just seen a YouTube video of what I'm looking for in a single cab like mine. It had 4 obsidian 10s,with this awesome little armrest. I know I can't fit 4 10s, I'm just going to see what he can give me for cubes.

They wouldn't know me by my forum name, you can tell them Sean, Bruce's friend, from Kalamazoo recommended their shop.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 323

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 326

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 327

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328

You used my real name

W140 I'm heading in to Advanced Audio and detailing ,on Mon or Tues. Should I say you sent me? I tried and tried but only got 10 inches wide. I just seen a YouTube video of what I'm looking for in a single cab like mine. It had 4 obsidian 10s,with this awesome little armrest. I know I can't fit 4 10s, I'm just going to see what he can give me for cubes.

They wouldn't know me by my forum name, you can tell them Sean, Bruce's friend, from Kalamazoo recommended their shop.

Ha, but not last name. How many Bruce's are there in Michigan?

Yeah , w140 , thanks again been working with Ryan .yes he remembers you and you were right.Hes very very good at building boxes, I can tell you he is the only place,I will take my truck too . He took the time to explain box rise, cabin gain,how to tune it in( and get some clean bass), how ohms work. He didn't get mad, he explained it , made sure I understood. He doesn't know it yet but when I pay for the box, I'm going to tip rather large. Thanks again for the recommendation Sean (w140) I'm looking at a super clean e21 bmw with lsd and 5speed , no rust. I know I can put something big in there.