Notorious97200

Going active this time : how to protect the tweeters ?

I'm not testing output. Don't worry.

It's tuning time.

Are you talking about this piece ? https : //minidsp.com/products/accessories/minidc-isolator

How does it work ? I can't see any wire : I guess you need to connect it to the minidsp using the power input. But where do I power that ?

I need to know if this is a good thing for me. (And yess, I have turn on pop).

I've just bought it.

I should get it next week in my mailbox, coming from France.

I hope it will let me use my usb out on my head unit.

You connect that to the DC switched supply in your car. Will free up your usb port smile.png

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 323

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 326

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 327

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328

You connect that to the DC switched supply in your car. Will free up your usb port smile.png

I can't see any wire or cable provided with it. I guess I'll have to wait until it's in my hand to see how to connect it.

How can they sell something for car audio purpose, and there is no protection on this board ? I'll have to find a solution, so that it doesn't get in contact with anything. It should be easy.

They could put it in an enclosure and raise the price by $40. Big shrink wrap and you are fine. Hell wrap it in electrical tape. I just hung mine up under the dash where nothing will short it out.

It has a pair of phoenix connectors that you can stick wires into.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 323

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 326

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 327

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328

They could put it in an enclosure and raise the price by $40. Big shrink wrap and you are fine. Hell wrap it in electrical tape. I just hung mine up under the dash where nothing will short it out.

It has a pair of phoenix connectors that you can stick wires into.

Thank you. I'm more confident with my purchase !!!morning.gif

I should have bought that with the dsp.

eek5wavey.gifgayhaaay1.gif

I received this little board today.

I had to break the elevator door (no electricity) to reach the mailman downstairs ! ninja.gif ninja.gif

But I got it !

I understand what this does : Exactly what I need. adhd.gif

Install with pics soon. 

Now it's CARNIVAL here. No more work, just fun downtown Fort-de-France.adhd.gif adhd.gif

Thursday we will go back to work. 

DC isolator installed. 

I can use my usb device for music now ! 

I forgot to take the picture. I managed to fit this little piece of equipment under the head unit, in the stock bag. Everything seems secure. 

image.jpeg

Everything is hidden properly now, in the glove box. Except the usb cable and the bass knob. 

I have just found a French online store for speakers : OMG, they're way cheaper than madisound, and the shipping costs are low as f...

I want a pair of Seas tweeters now. It's too cheap !

http://www.toutlehautparleur.com/marque-tlhp/seas-haut-parleurs.html

There are so much models, I don't know which one to get.

Which one would you choose ?

Mounting location, processing, what you have for a mid etc narrows that down.

37 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Mounting location, processing, what you have for a mid etc narrows that down.

Sorry for the lack of information.

• The tweeters will be mounted on the dash, facing the windshield. I use the stock 'plate" provided for the stock tweeters. They won't move at all.
  • I have a Pioneer AVH-X 5600 double din head unit.
  • amplifier : Incriminator Audio 3.4 : 4 x 65 w @ 4 Ohms.
  • a mini dsp 2x4 : I run the mids from 75 (with a 12 or 24 dB slope) to 3300 Hz, and the tweeters from 3300 Hz to ...wide open !  I think I use a 6 dB slope. I am not so sure about the slopes.
  • One pair of mids : one Seas Prestige ER 18 in each door, using a solid wood baffle. With no deadening so far.
  • I was using a set of my Focal tweeters , from the 165KP set. I guess it's a TN52.
  • I recently tried a pair of Davis TWX DF tweeters : they are very detailed, smooth, but not loud enough for my system, and I feel like they lack something. I like to listen to the tweets, I don't want to guess if I have them or not.
  • I'd like a pair of Seas ones, but I can try something else, if needed

I hope that is enough to help me.

BTW the mids are loud on such low power ! I don't need a more powerful amp like I thought.

Processing is a mini and mids are seas er18s. 

Cant speak on his mounting locations.

What flange size are you limited to?  ie, will this fit?

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/seas-soft-dome-tweeters/seas-prestige-27tdfc-h1189-textile-dome-tweeter/

Note that the baffle around the tweeter is 103mm

*I am not recommending that tweeter, just want to know if a large format tweeter fits.  If not and you want Seas they only have one Neo option. :P

22 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

What flange size are you limited to?  ie, will this fit?

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/seas-soft-dome-tweeters/seas-prestige-27tdfc-h1189-textile-dome-tweeter/

Note that the baffle around the tweeter is 103mm

*I am not recommending that tweeter, just want to know if a large format tweeter fits.  If not and you want Seas they only have one Neo option. :P

Yes that format should fit 104 mm.

It's the exact size of the baffle around my current Davis tweeters.

I don't want to use absolutely the SEAS, but my French online store carries them. They don't sell Vifa, as I saw a lot of people seem to like one of their tweeters (the XT 25 IIRC).

Do you have any details on the Davis you have?  Internet > me atm. :D

To clarify, I am wondering if it isn't a location installation you are battling and not the tweeter.  Understanding what you don't like about it will help too.  I know you said output...but crossing that high it doesn't take all that much really.

14 hours ago, ///M5 said:

To clarify, I am wondering if it isn't a location installation you are battling and not the tweeter.  Understanding what you don't like about it will help too.  I know you said output...but crossing that high it doesn't take all that much really.

I had the Focal tweeters at the same spot, on the dash, and I had no output problem. I always had them up in the doors, and they never were so loud. The change was amazing.

I wanted to try something else. The Davis seems more quiet on the same spot, like it's missing something.

http://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/davis-acoustics-tweeter-davis-acoustics/tweeter-davis-acoustics-twx-p-4088.html

It's difficult for me to think it's a placement problem.

Maybe I like brighter tweeters. I wanted more clarity, detailed response.  Hard to express in english, sorry.

I don't know the impedance of the Focal tweeters, at 4 Ohms they receive much more power from the amplifier than the Davis.

I assume you reset the gain and eq after changing tweeters?

5 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I assume you reset the gain and eq after changing tweeters?

Gain was reset. 

No eq yet. I always run everything flat,  but I know I must use the eq someday. I'm not an eq guy ! 

2 hours ago, Notorious97200 said:

Gain was reset. 

No eq yet. I always run everything flat,  but I know I must use the eq someday. I'm not an eq guy ! 

You use the eq to fix the anomalies in the response of your car, not your recordings. Regrettably the way shit is recorded these days a separate bass volume knob isn't terrible.

It's easy to swap the tweeters, I may try to put the Focal back in, just to check what I like or not about them.

But I want to play with those Davis first : they sound good. Maybe eq down some frequencies ? 

I'll try to play with the parametric eq of the mini dsp.