hdrox88

2005 Silverado crew cab

I've been inactive on here, and in my audio, for a while. Picked up something new(to me) and have some plans for this one. I still have the alt and batteries from my tahoe so that will help. I have a dual alt bracket for the singer to sit on so the stock alt can stay pcm controlled and handle the trucks electronics while the singer runs the batteries and amplifiers. 80PRS in the dash, ipad in the console. Hope to squeeze my PPI phantoms in the console again and run the Seas mids again, maybe swap for the ER variety. Unsure on tweeters at the moment. Going to run my xcon15 the same way swift did his single ethos15. I'm going for the same clarity, detail and output I had in the tahoe.

IMG_20151214_170056372%20152304_zpsuwglx

Love the truck man, cant wait to see what you do this go around.

Nice.  Where are you putting the tweets?  Dash on those aren't super up high friendly which is a bummer.

Love the truck man, cant wait to see what you do this go around.

Thanks, I think it's going to be a slow one this time around.

Nice.  Where are you putting the tweets?  Dash on those aren't super up high friendly which is a bummer.

Probably just above the mid in the door, behind the factory grill. Just forward of the manual door lock would be nice, but as much as I don't want to have the factory grill between the tweeter and my ear, I don't want to cut holes in my door panel even more. Something about resale and holes in the door. I don't even have any tweeters at the moment, so I'll need to figure that out as well.

Edited by hdrox88

Something REALLY good off axis which usually also means you need a mid that can play high as tweets with a good off axis response can rarely dig deep.

I used the lpg 25nfa in my Silverado and they worked pretty well.

Off axis response seems equally terrible on most I can find. The Tymphany/Vifa NE19vts seems to have caught my eye. I am also playing with the idea of angle mounting the tweeter behind the factory grill to get them more on axis and cutting out the center of the grill and using acoustically transparent grill cloth to cover them. I'm not sure how much the factory grill affects audio though, maybe it's a waste of time.

This car is beautiful. 

I run the ER 18, and I love them so far, without any processing. (thanks again M5).

Tuned in... 

This car is beautiful.

I run the ER 18, and I love them so far, without any processing. (thanks again M5).

Tuned in...

Thanks. How are the ER18 on the bottom end? I really liked the CAs in my tahoe, but on occasion the lower end (approx. 80-150hz) got a little too warm sounding. Wondering if I was getting some cone edge resonations.

Sounds like a mounting difficulty.  Real easy to get the bottom end to sound good in that truck btw :)

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 323

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 326

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 327

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328

This car is beautiful.

Tuned in...

Thanks. How are the ER18 on the bottom end? I really liked the CAs in my tahoe, but on occasion the lower end (approx. 80-150hz) got a little too warm sounding. Wondering if I was getting some cone edge resonations.

I have nothing wrong to say about them ! I cross them lower than my previous mid. HPF is set at 70 Hz on my head unit. It was at 80 or 100 before.

I know I can play without my sub and be happy with it !

I'm not trying to break any record with my system, I don't compete.

Sounds like a mounting difficulty.  Real easy to get the bottom end to sound good in that truck btw smile.png

I suppose it could be a mounting issue, considering it was my first "real" install. I thought everything was pretty solid though. I might add that it didn't happen until I was really pushing them, I just probably found their breaking point. I ran across your build log over on fullsizechevy the other day but unfortunately the pics are gone. Will probably have to run that over another time or two.

I have nothing wrong to say about them ! I cross them lower than my previous mid. HPF is set at 70 Hz on my head unit. It was at 80 or 100 before.

I know I can play without my sub and be happy with it !

I'm not trying to break any record with my system, I don't compete.

My usual HPF was 80hz w/18db slope for my high listening levels. I could run 63hz w/12db slope at moderate volume levels and it sounded pretty darn good. I think if I could get the frequency response curve with the moderate level settings but at higher listening levels, then I would be truly happy with my setup. Anytime I had someone in my tahoe that wasn't into audio, they always said something about how clear/clean it sounded. Then I'd really turn it up and they just started giggling from the 18 in the back.

I ran mine down to 40...

Ported or IB?
Edited by hdrox88

IB.  To be fair 50hz was more common if I wanted reference level listening, but for my normal commute 40 was better. 

My normal commute ranges from around reference level and sometimes higher. Probably not the best thing in the world for my ears, but I like to feel my music and I'm not just talking about sub-bass.

Looking forward to build log pix.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 319

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 326

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 327

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328

My normal commute ranges from around reference level and sometimes higher. Probably not the best thing in the world for my ears, but I like to feel my music and I'm not just talking about sub-bass.

I tend to stop turning things up when the midbass can't keep up, it is always the limiting factor in my install.  

How is this for a teaser? I finally found a second xcon with a vented pole yesterday. I had to have it, my first xcon was getting lonely.

IMG_20160122_104256966%20292906_zpsghajt

Still going to do a center console now that you have two Xcons.

I think something got lost in translation. The original plan was to remove the single far right rear seat and put it there. The rear bench is a 60/40 split in these trucks. When I mentioned the center console, I meant placing my amps in the front center console like I did in the tahoe.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 323

I think something got lost in translation. The original plan was to remove the single far right rear seat and put it there. The rear bench is a 60/40 split in these trucks. When I mentioned the center console, I meant placing my amps in the front center console like I did in the tahoe.

Probably so, ill have to go back and look at Swifts build again. I dont know why i thought the sub came up in between the front seats.

In my search for tweeters. I am coming up with one question. How important is 15khz+ with regard to on/off axis response? I have found a few tweets that seem pretty good about the 10khz range, but nearing 20khz is a whole different story for off axis response.

I found this: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/soft-dome-tweeters-sb-acoustics/sb-acoustics-sb19st-c000-4-3/4-dome-tweeter-4-ohms/

Pretty dang good for off axis if you ask me, my only concern about this on is the 30 watt rated power handling and the output levels I am trying to achieve. For the price, it might just be worth a try.

That tweeter has no balls....

Better question is how high can you hear? Easy test. Most of us that are more mature struggle to hear 15k at the end of the day...

I figured as much. When I was playing with tones in the Tahoe on the XS28s it seemed to roll off hard after about 12khz. Not sure if that was my ears or the tweeters.

Not sure how I missed this earlier when surfing madisound, SB Acoustics SB26STCN-C000-4 looks promising. Anyone have any experience with this one? The only LPG tweet I could find available anywhere was the 26NA. Not sure how it compares to the 25NFA, but I'm unsure if I would like a metal dome tweeter.

When looking for tweeters I am looking at the response curve up to about 10khz-12khz and the off axis response. I am finding some in the -5 to -7db range(60* off axis at 10khz). As secondary I am looking at FS(1500hz or lower), approximate power handling(75W+), and sensitivity to some extent. I am ok with a large format tweeter as there is plenty of space in my mounting location, unless it's like 3" deep. I hope I am targeting the right info for my goals?

In a real driver you won't notice the difference between metal and non. The LPG is seriously great off axis.

Why are you only looking at SB stuff? I realize there is a misapplied boner on diyma, but they aren't anything special. I've been completely underwhelmed by all of their stuff. Sure it is priced interesting, but the little savings rarely makes up for the harmonic distortion or other general lack of clarity in their response.

You can ignore the on axis response on plots completely. You will NEVER sit on axis. A great response on axis will therefore be completely pointless. The only thing you care about is the off. Having the 30 & 60 curves be similar would be helpful though as your left and right tweeters will be at severely different angles. I would also ignore a single point on the curve as that is easily adjusted with eq, but instead focus on the overall response. The less eq tapering you need to do the better.

Large format in this case may not buy you much. Fundamentally a 3/4" tweeter will do what you need better than a 1" tweeter, but it will do this by sacrificing the bottom end. Conveniently you can choose a mid to fill in that bottom end, but having some flexibility is nice. I'd pick FR over flexibility though in this particular installation.