hdrox88

2005 Silverado crew cab

Good info ///M5, possibly looking to upgrade my tweeters so ill be tuned in.

I had an 02. Kicks in that truck wouldn't work with my size 16's and sitting position, the dash is terrible for getting anything for a response so you are left with sails and some separation struggles or off axis like hell in the door. On a positive note, it is easy to get monster midbass from the doors.

I was actually seriously considering glassing the a-pillar, next to the sail and not inboard by the windshield. That driver side tweet is right in the face though.

As far as the SB acoustics stuff, it just so happened that both tweeters I mentioned were that particular brand. I wasn't seeking them out for any specific reason.

This is just getting silly. I am finding conflicting info on what I would normally consider  decent places to find info. For example, Zaph audio is showing a FR plot for a tweeter, same tweeter on parts express has a plot that looks quite different. What gives?

PE uses the manufacturers plot, Zaph uses what he measures. I'd personally take the third party measurement over PE. wink.png

There also may be methodology differences in the acquisition. It is far from trivial to do the measurements. Most people think you can just point a mic and boom, far from the case. If you have conflicted ones though and want input, throw links or plots up in your thread smile.png

I feel like an idiot. I just realized one plot was 0, 30, and 60 degrees while the other is 0, 15, and 30 degrees. Where is that facepalm emoticon when you need it?

In a real driver you won't notice the difference between metal and non. The LPG is seriously great off axis.

Large format in this case may not buy you much. Fundamentally a 3/4" tweeter will do what you need better than a 1" tweeter, but it will do this by sacrificing the bottom end. Conveniently you can choose a mid to fill in that bottom end, but having some flexibility is nice. I'd pick FR over flexibility though in this particular installation.

I can't seem to find much of any info on LPG, other than people seem to like them. I have noticed that the "Seas neos" seem to get a lot of praise as well. I'm guessing they are talking about either the 27TFFNC/G or 27TAFNC/G.

Being that the mids will be way off axis as well, I am feeling like risking a little bit in the 15khz-20khz isn't as bad as risking the 3khz-5khz range. Being a 2-way plus sub setup looking for higher output, there are bound to be compromises.
Edited by hdrox88

Welcome to the world of compromise. tongue.png

I would ignore the 15-20k....but I also wouldn't stress that much about the off axis response of the mid, but I am a HUGE fan of mid-bass.

I am currently torn on the Seas 27TFFNC/G, Vifa XT19, and LPG 26NA in that order. I am still hesitant on the LPG due to the metal dome. My cousin had a Diamond Audio setup with metal tweeters and at times it was very harsh, eek! Maybe just that install/tune? The downside on the XT19 is the limited mounting options. All FR looks acceptable to me and price is fairly close(not really a factor at this price point). Any other input on these three choices at this point is appreciated.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 323

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 326

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 327

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328

I am currently torn on the Seas 27TFFNC/G, Vifa XT19, and LPG 26NA in that order. I am still hesitant on the LPG due to the metal dome. My cousin had a Diamond Audio setup with metal tweeters and at times it was very harsh, eek! Maybe just that install/tune? The downside on the XT19 is the limited mounting options. All FR looks acceptable to me and price is fairly close(not really a factor at this price point). Any other input on these three choices at this point is appreciated.

Last night after searching madisound, parts-express and usspeaker; I came up with those options and the VifaNE25, Tang Band 28-847SD as well as the Scan Speak 9500s. Would the HDS be a good option for hdrox88? Edited by jay-cee

Oops double post.

Edited by jay-cee

I don't like metal tweeters, but ran the LPG. I had all three of those as options in my house when I installed the LPG's. Doesn't mean you would feel the same way though. I am generally a Seas fan, but don't like the H1396.

That all being said, I'm running the D2904/60000 pretty off axis right now. Had those when I had the truck too...

I don't like metal tweeters, but ran the LPG. I had all three of those as options in my house when I installed the LPG's. Doesn't mean you would feel the same way though. I am generally a Seas fan, but don't like the H1396.

What didn't you like about the H1396? 

I like a smooth, natural sound from my tweeters with a little bit of sparkle. I want cymbals to sound like cymbals, not frying bacon. No snakelike sibilance.

They were somewhat lifeless.

Frying bacon lol.

The problem with metal is that there are a bunch of bad metal options. Otherwise no real problem that can't be designed around.

Horns are a little iffy right now, though I could sell some stuff that's collecting dust to fund them. I don't have the processing power for them at the moment either. I would love to run some though.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 323

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 326

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 327

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328

Horns are a little iffy right now, though I could sell some stuff that's collecting dust to fund them. I don't have the processing power for them at the moment either. I would love to run some though.

I have a MiniDSP for sale that needs a new RCA jack, I could sell it to you for pretty cheap. 

I picked up some Bstock horn bodies and new drivers for around 300$ for the pair from Eric Stevens, so realistically it wouldn't be that big of a dive.

Not so sure he'd benefit from the horns.

Not so sure he'd benefit from the horns.

From what he described perfectly describes my horn setup after doing a good amount of tuning 

Or not at all. To have any benefit of the horns you'd need to beef up the mids. Otherwise it just would add more imbalance.

After reading this again, I remember you mentioning using the 25NFA(fabric dome). Is that what you are referencing here? Or have you used the 26NA(metal dome) as well?

I have been finding some Morel tweeters with excellent off axis response. Never really considered Morel before, any reason not to?

Day 1 - ...and so it begins!

Conveniently, the Bose amp and sub are in the center console so removing them made plenty of room to mount my amps in there again.

IMG_20160301_130454966%20204937_zpsscmhr

IMG_20160301_130530831%20204757_zpswwaho

I bought the LPG 26NA.

I pulled the back seat to see how much space I have. I'm undecided if I'm going to leave it all out or cram it in place of the 60% bench and make a 3 seater out of it.

IMG_20160315_194207441%20427178_zpscuidu

IMG_20160315_194240586%20427190_zpsvkogk

I picked up a secondary battery tray.

IMG_20160315_194133754%20427191_zpsfmozy