Dangercdv

The new setup help

I am currently running 2 of the Soundqubed HDS 215's in the backseat of my mustang convertible. Do I like them? Yeah, but the problem is the box takes up my entire back seat and is way to small for those subs and tuned too high. I am missing a lot of low notes and I believe lots of output. I want to sell them and get a new box for a single 15. I am keeping the Hifonics 1700.1 but I need a sub to go in the box. 

I am looking at this box (http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321813323806?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82) at 3.5 cubes total tuned at 32hz. (I can also reverse mount the sub for extra airspace) But I need a good sub to go in it, but I don't want to spend more than $200 unless it would really be worth it.

So...

Soundqubed HDS315 - $185 - 1200rms

Sundown SA-15 - $259 - 600rms

Lethal Injection 15 - $279 1000rms

Or is there a better option for my money?

And honestly, is downgrading to 1 sub in a better box going to be worth it? I love loud SPL but need some lower end quality.

Going to any one sub in a better and proper box would NOT be a down grade. More cubes and 32hz port tuning will give you a good low end and more output.

Edited to make proper sentence structure, lol

Edited by THX_Elite

Details on the current box would be very helpful. Pre-made enclosures are usually NOT a good solution.

That description doesn't tell us anything.

We need wood thickness, port size & length minimally. Really hard to tell what that is doing to your subs. The box looks like it could be crap, but that doesn't mean it is the source of your troubles.

39 x 18 x 16 (LxWxH)
Not sure of wood thickness, but im pretty sure its 3/4
And I cant really measure the port but it  goes towards the back and doesn't turn so its pretty short (under 16 inches) and pretty wide.

Doing some test on music and tones, I am getting it to peak out around 40hz and maybe a bit higher. My subs are also reversed mounted to get extra airspace.

You can measure the outside of the port and the depth. Just takes a measuring tape, lol

haha, yeah but it being where it is, its very hard to get to, and im at college and surprisingly dont have a measuring tape on me. I will try soon though.

Just got a reply from SoundQubed through email, I sent 3 options with links. 3 cubes with slot port, 4 cubes with slot port, and the 3.5 cubes with aero ports I have in the first post, and they said any of them would be fine but suggested the 3.5 cubes with aero ports. Not super specific but I guess that will work. I just hope for more low end without loosing much output. (which wasnt a huge upgrade over my 12s)

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 323

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 326

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 327

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328

It looks better, just because I can see they have 2 baffles to mount the sub ! Seriously, I don't know if it's a good one !

As far as sub, if your budget is tight, get a good box and run one of your sub in it. You may like it enough, or change the sub later. The IA and the SA are good choices for sure.

Why $200 for a pre-fab? That seems absolutely absurd.

Well the only guy around here that does custom ones will charge me @200 for the exact same box that i found online for $160. 

which is this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-CU-FT-CUSTOM-VENTED-15-MDF-CAR-AUDIO-SUB-WOOFER-BOX-ENCLOSURE-TUNED-32Hz-/360485922339

I know $160 for prefab is a lot but it looks like the best I can get for that money, and honestly I dont see anything wrong with 4 cubes at 32hz. 

Versus $200 for this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUNDQUBED-HDC315-15-Hand-Crafted-Birch-Ported-Subwoofer-Enclosure-/281889670394?hash=item41a1ef04fa:g:To4AAOSw5IJWdTzu
Which appears to have a larger port and wont go as nicely into my back seat but is it worth the $40 extra?

Edited by Dangercdv

ROFL, look at shipping... I'd NEVER order a box.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 323

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 326

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 327

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328

Well the only guy around here that does custom ones will charge me @200 for the exact same box that i found online for $160.

which is this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-CU-FT-CUSTOM-VENTED-15-MDF-CAR-AUDIO-SUB-WOOFER-BOX-ENCLOSURE-TUNED-32Hz-/360485922339

I know $160 for prefab is a lot but it looks like the best I can get for that money, and honestly I dont see anything wrong with 4 cubes at 32hz.

Versus $200 for this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUNDQUBED-HDC315-15-Hand-Crafted-Birch-Ported-Subwoofer-Enclosure-/281889670394?hash=item41a1ef04fa:g:To4AAOSw5IJWdTzu

Which appears to have a larger port and wont go as nicely into my back seat but is it worth the $40 extra?

Those mobile sound works enclosures suck, i had one for dual 12s. Buy a custom enclosure and call it a day or find someone local to build one for ya. I just paid 225 for a custom 15" ported enclosure: bracing, bedliner and made from birch. Be patient and do it right, you already did things wrong from the beginning and look where you're at. Why waste more money again? Edited by jay-cee

indeed, thank you. I'll see what I can get out of the local guy around here for $200 and get the best 4 cubic box I can. Thanks

No problem at all. If you cant get someone local or build your own, that mobile sound works enclosure is better than majority prefabs. I would only get it if it was your last resort.

Alright, well I did meet somebody my age who builds these boxes for competitions and for fun, and can give me one for $200 but it doesnt seem any different than this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUNDQUBED-HDC315-15-Hand-Crafted-Birch-Ported-Subwoofer-Enclosure-/281889670394?hash=item41a1ef04fa:g:To4AAOSw5IJWdTzu

But as a last resort, should I spend the $200 on that, or the $160 on the soundworks?

As a previous installer/salesman I can tell you the average price for a single 15" box ranges from about 160-200, I would find a reputable shop and bring them the specifications and go from there. It would make your life easier fitting it into your car since it's built to fit.

The guy im talking about works in a shop, and the best one around here, they work with high quality stuff and iv seen it in competitions, I was just worried about price. I am going to go there and see what I can get for my money.

Paying $60 to ship something tells you where the value is, lol. If you can't see the box first hand I would NEVER buy it.

Exclusion being a few custom builders I know that I'd trust implicitly, but those will be more than $200.

Yes but as far as prefabs go, the one I saw on Ebay, the 4 cubes 32hz, has seemed far better than any other prefab iv ever seen. For one its actually large enough for the sub, and has a good tuning, also being made of birch. It also has a 1.5 inch baffle and port pannels are rounded off, and it has bracing. It actually seems to have real quality too it.

And it could have been cut and assembled by someone who gets paid $3/hr and doesn't give a shit. No way, no how would I ever do that.

lol, I picture some small child connecting panels of wood together by smearing glue on them with his hands.
I notice the specs of the SoundQubed HDS315 are much different than other subs of that power handling. such as higher qts, and fs. 
I hear so many good reviews about them and their output and how they really can handle 1200rms, but why so cheap? and why are the specs so different?

Spend 20 minutes in WinISD and you'll have an answer...or at least better questions.

Personally I wouldn't want one.