SpeakerBoy

5.0 V8 swap - converting 2dr explorer to AWD v8

How much would you budget for a full swap, removing the sohc v6, and swapping the awd drive train and v8 from a mountaineer into a 2dr exploder, start to finish? I plan to pick up a second donor vehicle by summer, so I'll have plenty of parts, but I've never been involved with a swap before. I'm definitely paying someone for labor, and taking notes.

I've seen a few done, but all anyone remarks on price is "lots" which is frustrating.

I'm hoping this project costs less than $6k to complete, 7500 tops

Edited by SpeakerBoy

If you are paying someone, I'd expect it to be way closer to $10k. Really a dumb idea. Like backpack dumb.

Just sell what you have and buy a v8 car. It will be WAY, WAY, WAY cheaper.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 323

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 326

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 327

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328

How much would you budget for a full swap, removing the sohc v6, and swapping the awd drive train and v8 from a mountaineer into a 2dr exploder, start to finish? I plan to pick up a second donor vehicle by summer, so I'll have plenty of parts, but I've never been involved with a swap before. I'm definitely paying someone for labor, and taking notes.

I've seen a few done, but all anyone remarks on price is "lots" which is frustrating.

I'm hoping this project costs less than $6k to complete, 7500 tops

Yes, LOTS

Off the top of my head I can think of..

Engine Mounts

Transmission Mounts

Exhaust

Transmission 

Shortening the Drive shaft (possible)

Front suspension components to switch over to AWD

Complete electrical harness

ECU/etc

Dash cluster (possible)

There probably is even more.

Nothing will go as planned either. Paying someone to forge the way for you and develop the knowledge is a huge mistake. HUGE. You'll probably end up with close to $10k in labor. $120/hr adds up quick!

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 323

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 326

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 327

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328

Nothing will go as planned either. Paying someone to forge the way for you and develop the knowledge is a huge mistake. HUGE. You'll probably end up with close to $10k in labor. $120/hr adds up quick!

I'd reckon 10k Min.

Hmmm. Sounds like a diy once I park mine then.

No way in hell is it for practicality, it's more like, I like my 5.0 alotttt and I love 2dr exploders. End idea was a 12 second SQ truck.

If it's that much I could just snatch an Aviator instead. That's a nice compromise to me.

Thanks guys

12 second exploder? ROFL. Up your budget to $25k then NOT including labor. Obviously you can do it for less if it only has to live through a single pass down the strip, but that would be an even bigger waste.

I haven't been to the strip in my truck, but minimally am in the low 12's and probably even high 11's. Just parts cost: $13k in power adders, $7k in transmission, $5k in brakes, $2k in suspension and I started out with a V8 rig that needed no engine swap. If I were building a non-FI truck and wanted 12's I'd have a good $6-7k in the short block alone. Costs on the DOHC is even higher.

Best part is with your search at the end the value of the truck would be the same as it is today. If you have money to burn, go for it. And yes, I expect that my truck is worth $25,000 less than I have in to it. I knew that going in and don't give a shit.

Like I said, it's because I love these trucks, not because it's practical

You don't shoot heroin because it builds character and pays bills lmao

I know it's something I want to do, but I don't know motors like that, I had no idea costs added up so fast. That being said, I've seen 12 second expos and blazers so I know it's doable. Maybe not for a decade but I mean, it's my dream, i'm not gonna forget I want it eh?

I have dreams about my car when I sleep, it's almost all I think about. I don't get out much.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Now, a much more useful question, if I'm interested in learning how to build motors for recreation, and don't know people personally that share the interest, what's a good place for me to start, besides reading about shit

Take a class or read. Not sure what other method you've found for learning besides though, but please share!

You can go fast for not so much money, but don't expect that to last. Have to pay to play. Power adders can get you there quick with the right platform, but the wrong one and you'll end up destroying it.

Even with a clean tune on my normally not so easily broken 6l80, all it took was one wot pass to wipe out the 1-2 clutch. Then because it is a truck to support 800hp you need a tranny that will take nearly double if built for a vette. I am 1100lbs heavier that you though. So yeah, I made 12's for one pass and then BAM $7k needed for a tranny that will live.

Easiest and cheapest way is nitrous. Shit seriously works. Just pay for a GOOD tuner otherwise you'll fuck yourself fast.

For the short term, what are some NA upgrades I can do for my mountaineer? I have a cai already and I don't see a point in boost, it's got 201k on it, I just want practice with stuff on it, $500 vehicle =) Basically anything I can do without pulling the motor or trans, things I can do myself as a novice

If I keep the stock exhaust manifold and a cat, is there a point to a dual in dual out, or can I replace mine with a stock one. I like how quiet the stock one was before the bolts turned to dust and it fell off, I was going to replace it with a Walker quiet SS

also, I read that anything over 4/32" difference from front to rear can burn out my vc in my awd, Is my fronts being bald and the rears having 50% tread enough to be paranoid? I can't get new tires till taxes come in. Using stock tire size, it's 235/75r15's

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Intake was a waste. Tune is the best you can do but it isn't worth it. Will cost as much as the truck.

Intake was a waste. Tune is the best you can do but it isn't worth it. Will cost as much as the truck.

You mean as much as I paid for it? or it's suggested value? I only paid 5 hundo for it, I could spend a paycheck on a tune if that's all it is. 

Why a waste? I stuck a cone filter on the end of my mass airflow and called it a day. Noticeable difference in response. Paid 40 bucks. Mileage even went up 

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Your mileage went up because your air filter was dirty. A simple paper filter would have netted you equal gains. Perhaps not the extra induction noise, but noise isn't speed.

What benefit do you want from your tune? And what is it worth per dollar.

The whole thread sounds like to me you are looking for performance. The BEST money you can spend to achieve that is to buy a different truck and sell yours. Seriously.

I agree with all statements, but knowing what I do about these trucks and the experience I have with them, if I had a donor vehicle, I could probably accomplish the transformation in a week,  It's literally a bolt-in affair,every single piece.

But as has been stated, such a waste.

You're better off spending that money on higher education, which I highly suggest.

Or you take a week off Ryan and he pays you $5k to do it + parts. Yes a waste and your recommendation is better, but at least in the end that way you'd have $5k.

Simple answer, weld the back doors shut on the Mountaineer. BAM!!! You now have a two door.

Anything else besides a new vehicle is a waste of cash. If you still want to do it, pay for a round trip ticket for me, hand me half the cash you'd spend doing the swap. I'll boot you in the balls twice with my steel toes, and walk back in to get on my return flight.

You get the same end result, get to keep half your cash, and you waste less time.

Sounds like a win/win now eh?

J

Out of this vehicle, I'd like it to be reliable. It's going to be the backup vehicle once I figure out what car comes next. Other vehicle was totaled a few weeks back, so it's back to square one.

Sounds like a money intensive hobby, which means it's not for me.