I purchased a used Kicker ZX 750.1 for really cheap that was advertised as working condition but only after the engine is turned on.  I figured this problem had to be unique to to the previous owner's car but it isn't.  I tested this thing in two vehicles and it turns on with the ignition but only amplifies a signal after the vehicle itself has been turned on. Furthermore, if the car is turned off without completely turning the key it will continue to work as expected.  I'm here to see if anybody knows anything about this.  If it's a super cheap/easy fix I'm all over it, but more than that I'm just curious as to what's up.  Besides this, the amp works exactly as it should.

Edit: It's the older model with the red stripes if that means anything.

Edited by bombsaway

Sounds like it likes more than 12v...which is strange. Any power supply you can use to test that?

If it powers up when you turn your ignition on, but does not turn off when you turn the ignition off?

If that is the case your remote turn on is either not bleeding off or the constant power feed circuit is bleeding over to the remote circuit.

Unfortunately I have nothing to test with.

Nem, are you suggesting that maybe something inside the amp is touching something else?

Could be a bleed off diode. Can you take a picture of both sides of the board.

I have seen amp boards get so hot the flux will boil out of the solder and cause similar issues.