Sign in to follow this  
MattB

RL-p for home audio?

Well, I have removed all my car stereo stuff to make room for family in my ride...BUT, I cannot part with my RL-p 12..I just love it too much. I was wondering if box sizes/styles would be the same for use in the house? It is looking like I will be starting with around a 200w home audio amp. I know that is way under the RL-p, but I aint selling muh speaker...

any ideas/opinions welcome

I think you want to go with 2cu ft of air and port it at 20hz. You port lower for HT use. You dont have the cabin gain like you do in you car.

I know you know it, but I'm sayin' it anyway -- 200 watts is a little low on the RL-p! To get the most out of the driver in a home theater app, I would indeed vent the mother. You can go sealed with great results, but the low end may be lacking somewhat unless you incorporate some sort of eq boosting (an LT would work well, some of my HT oriented customers have had great sucess with the mono bassis from marchand - a little pricey, but an excellent addition to a sealed box HT driver for fleshing out those lows real nice).

Shoot for around 2.0 - 4.0 cu ft, with a tuning frequency between 17 - 20 Hz, providing a minimum of 20 square inches of port area. Even with the measly 200 watts it should get goin' pretty nicely in a vented setup - but rest assured that tripple the power (and even a second driver) would be absolutely blissful thumbup.gif

You can corner load it though

Even then, you still do not get the gain you would in a vehicle.

2.25-2.5 tuned to 20Hz would give you a beautiful low end.

Thanks for the input. I will do what I can on getting a higher watt amp. Thanks also for the rec. box/port sizes..I look forward to the project!

What would be sexy is 3cuft@18Hz with a 6" aeroport :D. Id imagine it would be super efficent with the low end.

OR

Design a TL... or a horn if you want to do some remodleing...any kids you have dont need bedroom space.

Looking at Partsexpress, they have a BASH500w amp for under $250. Looking at the picture, it has a left and right input. My receiver only has a single rca output for the sub. Could I use a Y adapter from the receiver to the amp, then, run each of the amps channels to each vc of the woofer? My RL-p is the D4vc.

i absolutely love these soundsplinters and if i had the time and money i would definately build a home setup. or even just a 8 or 10 for my pc.

i absolutely love these soundsplinters and if i had the time and money i would definately build a home setup. or even just a 8 or 10 for my pc.

i have a 10 as sub for my pc system. sounds pretty nice although it's in the wrong box. just threw it in a 2cf sealed box untill i manage to build something to specs.

i have a 10 as sub for my pc system. sounds pretty nice although it's in the wrong box. just threw it in a 2cf sealed box untill i manage to build something to specs.

i would go all out. build a perfect ported box, laminate it with veneer and stain it to match my satellites. and of course mount an amp right into the rear of the box...if i had the time and money hehe

Well, I have removed all my car stereo stuff to make room for family in my ride...BUT, I cannot part with my RL-p 12..I just love it too much.  I was wondering if box sizes/styles would be the same for use in the house?  It is looking like I will be starting with around a 200w home audio amp.  I know that is way under the RL-p, but I aint selling muh speaker... 

any ideas/opinions welcome

Hi. I

Edited by marcoolio

that is a wild box, nice work

That is one nice box man, very cool.

tis why I don't want to get into H/T really, that looks like a lot of work to build a box compared to CA.

tis why I don't want to get into H/T really, that looks like a lot of work to build a box compared to CA.

No reason why you couldn't do something like that for car audio as well...hell, Joe Black used close to 200 lbs. of sand for his IASCA-winning competition enclosure.

Like anything, you can take it as far as you want :)

well just for something to sound nice you don't have to do something that complicated. I don't think my skills for buildling boxes is up to part with home audio is what I'm trying to say.

well just for something to sound nice you don't have to do something that complicated.  I don't think my skills for buildling boxes is up to part with home audio is what I'm trying to say.

Thats why you build and learn, Rome wasen't built in a day.

So pretty it deserves to be seen again.

7d_tukien_kohdistus2.JPG

I'd love to run /\ in my car, just would need to buy a SUV.