Florida_Audio

Question about setup and items to buy, im noob plz help

1 hour ago, THX_Elite said:

you said the components you want do 110watts MAX @ 4ohms (that number means very little).  What that means is they will run around +/- 50watts RMS.  The amp I recommended is capable of pushing 100watts RMS to your 50watt RMS components @ 4ohms.  MORE than enough!

So the 110 RMS max at 4 ohms is more likely running around 60 watts? 110-50=60?
and the amp says this: "RMS Power @ 4 ohms 75 watts x 4 channels"
but it also says: "
Bridged Peak/Max Power 300 watts x 2 channels". so if im running only 2 speakers for now, do i have to bridge it to run the amp? or can i just leave 2 channels left unconnected? will it still use 300 watts possibly? and damage the speakers cause double the power?

Rms and max are different.  Does it say 110 max watts or rms on the speakers. . You only want to look at the rms rating

1 hour ago, frogcase2002 said:

Rms and max are different.  Does it say 110 max watts or rms on the speakers. . You only want to look at the rms rating

the RMS has a range, talking about the higher end of rms

"power range: 8-110 watts RMS"

but yeah i guess just RMS

Edited by Florida_Audio

18 hours ago, Florida_Audio said:
So the 110 RMS max at 4 ohms is more likely running around 60 watts? 110-50=60?
and the amp says this: "RMS Power @ 4 ohms 75 watts x 4 channels"
but it also says: "
Bridged Peak/Max Power 300 watts x 2 channels". so if im running only 2 speakers for now, do i have to bridge it to run the amp? or can i just leave 2 channels left unconnected? will it still use 300 watts possibly? and damage the speakers cause double the power?

This is the exact 4ch amp I used for a long time and still actually have.  It will solve your concerns about the RMS ratings to power your choice of components, if it's still in your budget. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_44492_Hifonics-Zeus-ZRX1000.4.html

If a set of components says it runs 110 watts MAX that means you can expect no more than half of that wattage during normal and constant use.  RMS ratings are there to show how many watts amps/speakers will actually be running/using.  

It's the same with amp ratings. If an amp says it runs 5 million watts "MAX", it really will only be running 2 and 1/2 million watts or less the majority of the time.  Cheap amps and speakers list there "MAX" ratings to make the amp or speaker seem powerful to users who don't understand RMS ratings.

-it's good to have extra power, you don't have to use it all...it will not damage your speakers if you dial the amp down to the wattage the speaker needs which will actually provide a cleaner signal.  You have much learning ahead of you!  Most of it should be through reading. 

Edited by THX_Elite
changed for wording and updated to proper link

16 hours ago, Florida_Audio said:

the RMS has a range, talking about the higher end of rms

"power range: 8-110 watts RMS"

but yeah i guess just RMS

This is the exact 4ch amp I used for a long time and still actually have.  It will solve your concerns about the RMS ratings to power your choice of components, if it's still in your budget. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_44492_Hifonics-Zeus-ZRX1000.4.html

If a set of components says it runs 110 watts MAX that means you can expect no more than half of that wattage during normal and constant use.  RMS ratings are there to show how many watts amps/speakers will actually be running/using.  

It's the same with amp ratings. If an amp says it runs 5 million watts "MAX", it really will only be running 2 and 1/2 million watts or less the majority of the time.  Cheap amps and speakers list there "MAX" ratings to make the amp or speaker seem powerful to users who don't understand RMS ratings.

-it's good to have extra power, you don't have to use it all...it will not damage your speakers if you dial the amp down to the wattage the speaker needs which will actually provide a cleaner signal.  You have much learning ahead of you!  Most of it should be through reading. 

ok thanks.

so do you think the type R alpines are trying that hard to make it seem like they are better than they really are?

or every speaker has their max RMS listed anyway, so any speaker listed at 110 RMS is still running half that most of the time anyway?

its sort of hard to find unbiased and knowledgeable info online. i see alot of things claiming one thing, and then others saying its not true.

know of any good websites that have legit articles to learn from?

also if the speakers say up to 110 RMS would i set the amp to around 100 RMS? or set it to just 55 RMS?

i do still appreciate all the help you have been giving :]

wondering if i may ask you to check the last post on the previous page, to see if you have any feedback for that as well?

thanks again!

:)  you are a tad confused.  the Alpine SPR-60C's that you are wanting have these specs:

RMS: 220 watts per set / 110 watts each side...that is taken from the link you put up.  Those specs mean that your front left and front right speakers will want 110 watts EACH for ideal operation.  The amp I mentioned (the one I have and like) just above ^ has these RMS stats:

4 ohms: 125 watts x 4-Chan. 
• 2 ohms: 250 watts x 4-Chan. 

This means that at 4ohms that amp will provide +/- 25 watts more than those speakers are wanting for their rated RMS wattage. Or at 2ohms...you have over twice the power you would need to run these specific type R's. 

what all this means is...that amp and those speakers will pair up just great.  

As for sound deadening or speaker baffles...just buy your electronics get them running.  If you don't like to read...get local help ESPECIALLY with amp settings and go from there.

:)  you are a tad confused.  the Alpine SPR-60C's that you are wanting have these specs:

RMS: 220 watts per set / 110 watts each side...that is taken from the link you put up.  Those specs mean that your front left and front right speakers will want 110 watts EACH for ideal operation.  The amp I mentioned (the one I have and like) just above ^ has these RMS stats:

4 ohms: 125 watts x 4-Chan. 
• 2 ohms: 250 watts x 4-Chan. 

This means that at 4ohms that amp will provide +/- 25 watts more than those speakers are wanting for their rated RMS wattage. Or at 2ohms...you have over twice the power you would need to run these specific type R's. 

what all this means is...that amp and those speakers will pair up just great.  

As for sound deadening or speaker baffles...just buy your electronics get them running.  If you don't like to read...get local help ESPECIALLY with amp settings and go from there.

thanks. i do like to read, as long as i can understand most of what im reading

the speakers say to use 4 ohms? id assume setting amp to 2 ohms would be bad for them?

but also why is it now +/- 25, before it was +/- 50?

also, if im having a local shop help put speakers in, shouldnt i ask to put baffles and or sound deanening in as well at the same time, so as to make the job easier, since they are already in the door panel and have the speakers out and such?

Yes those speakers are 4ohms..you don't set an amp's ohms, it reads the speakers ohms automatically.  Just plug them in and they will play...you would install your HU turn it up to a good non distorting level and adjust the amp to levels that do not distort your speakers.  

As for professional install: if that is in your budget, yes get baffles if you think you want them, and as much sound deadening as you can afford behind them.

Yes those speakers are 4ohms..you don't set an amp's ohms, it reads the speakers ohms automatically.  Just plug them in and they will play...you would install your HU turn it up to a good non distorting level and adjust the amp to levels that do not distort your speakers.  

As for professional install: if that is in your budget, yes get baffles if you think you want them, and as much sound deadening as you can afford behind them.

sadly i dont really trust myself to do much of these installs. dont want to break something or plug in wrong things. and i do not have any power tools or soldering iron. although i could buy these. but i dont want to risk breaking something and the time it will take to fix it myself.

as much sound deadening as i can afford? wow, i thought u only need like one sheet of it behind the door? and should i also place some minor amount of sound deadener in the rear of car, if i dont initially put new speakers in the rear? and would layers of it be better for the front door? how much around would it cost to do it a decent amount? 35 bucks for 8 sq ft : http://www.soundqubed.com/Q-MAT-Speaker-Kit_p_215.html

and would i benefit from speaker bezels? or would they not be needed if i get speaker baffles? http://www.amazon.com/RING-6-5BZ-Speaker-Recess-MOUNTING-SPACER/dp/B00K5Q9D7U

edit: wow..... just checked out some quotes to install sound deadener, i didnt even bother to ask my local shop for a quote before because i thought it was an easy thing to install... looks expensive... but it seems some places might offer to do it for free or at a large discount if you are already paying for other items to be installed at the same time. so maybe i will wait to get it installed.... but i would appreciate any info about it, so i know for the future, thanks!

now i see why u commented about, just get my stuff installed and worry about sound deadener later... lol my bad.

Edited by Florida_Audio

the professional installer you choose will mount the speakers and provide spacers or baffles if needed.  Sound deadening is great but you are only installing some 6.5 components. That being said you don't need much sound deadening to begin with.  look at the sound deadening thread in this forum for more information on that, but your not needing much at all.  I recommend you let them do the whole install...HU, Amp and it's settings, door speakers and a little sound deadening. 

I have helped as much as I think I can.  

The rest is up to your budget, your taste and your local installer.  The amp I recommended will do a great job for you at a great price.  You picked your HU, and Components you like, now order it all and take it to your local installer!  LOL

...don't forget the Amp wiring kit also available on the same website I have directed to you for affordable pricing.

the professional installer you choose will mount the speakers and provide spacers or baffles if needed.  Sound deadening is great but you are only installing some 6.5 components. That being said you don't need much sound deadening to begin with.  look at the sound deadening thread in this forum for more information on that, but your not needing much at all.  I recommend you let them do the whole install...HU, Amp and it's settings, door speakers and a little sound deadening. 

I have helped as much as I think I can.  

The rest is up to your budget, your taste and your local installer.  The amp I recommended will do a great job for you at a great price.  You picked your HU, and Components you like, now order it all and take it to your local installer!  LOL

...don't forget the Amp wiring kit also available on the same website I have directed to you for affordable pricing.

ok thanks alot! once again appreciate all this help. if my sound system comes out bad, i blame you... just kidding :]

hmmmm i thought speaker baffles can help with sound quality and protecting the speakers?

they can it just depends on how the speakers fit and whats already installed in your doors.  I used mdf rings on my doors only so that the speakers would fit without getting in the way of the window when it rolls down.  ...there are (speaker risers/rings) and then there are baffles (speaker "cups" so to speak) like say...these http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22349_The-Install-Bay-VXT62.html.  And you are right they can help a bit with sound especially when not using or using very little sound deadening.

P.S. It will turn out fine especially with professional help.  Just make sure your happy with the electronics you choose

they can it just depends on how the speakers fit and whats already installed in your doors.  I used mdf rings on my doors only so that the speakers would fit without getting in the way of the window when it rolls down.  ...there are (speaker risers/rings) and then there are baffles (speaker "cups" so to speak) like say...these http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22349_The-Install-Bay-VXT62.html.  And you are right they can help a bit with sound especially when not using or using very little sound deadening.

P.S. It will turn out fine especially with professional help.  Just make sure your happy with the electronics you choose

thanks. i know you say professional help. but i dont want to risk leaving certain decisions up to them. like i feel like they may sometimes give bad advice or suggest something i dont really need, just so they can charge a bit more. also i would like to make sure i understand this as much as possible before going ahead, which i thank you for helping :]

yeah speaker baffles are pretty cheap :]

hmmm but also heard they can hurt sound quality because they block the back of the speaker for air flow or whatever?

and you said to make sure im happy with what i choose. i mean i hope i am. its really hard, if not impossible to really pick out speakers without listening to them? just by reading other peoples reviews of the speakers and what they like or dislike is all im really able to do? and look at the frequency range. not much else to make sure i would like them?

13 hours ago, Florida_Audio said:

and you said to make sure im happy with what i choose. i mean i hope i am. its really hard, if not impossible to really pick out speakers without listening to them? just by reading other peoples reviews of the speakers and what they like or dislike is all im really able to do? and look at the frequency range. not much else to make sure i would like them?

this is very true...the best you can do is listen to speakers installed already such as a friends setups.  Next to that all you can do is go to a local stereo shop and listen to them while their in a display.  I am positive you would be happy with the amp I last suggested because of long lasting quality at a low price, as for speakers...? it's all up to you my friend as hearing is subjective.  

EDIT: As for speaker baffles that is why I hesitated on answering that question.

Edited by THX_Elite
speaker baffles