blowthemup

Singer Alternator Bad Customer Service

Well my 2 year old Singer alternator started acting up so I swapped my stock one back in and everything is fine. Contacted Singer and he has blamed my Civic for having accessory power after the car is off and that's whats causing my alternator to buzz/humm when cars off. Also blamed my batteries for the voltage jumping around when driving, this is with all accessories off  while driving. He quit responding to my emails so I consider that he is not wanting to help me and trying to blame other things.

If you are on the market for a high output alternator I strongly advise to look elsewhere, Singer does not have the reputation or customer service you hear people talk about. He will leave you with an expensive paper weight if you ever have problems.

There are two sides to every story but thanks for the heads up. 

I have a buddy that ad the same problem.... the diodes in the regulator failed causing feed back in the alt

the alternator made a sizzling / buzzing sound when the car was shut off

we had it repaired and the tech who fixed it says it was getting too hot

10 minutes ago, Thumpper said:

I have a buddy that ad the same problem.... the diodes in the regulator failed causing feed back in the alt

the alternator made a sizzling / buzzing sound when the car was shut off

we had it repaired and the tech who fixed it says it was getting too hot

Thanks, yeah sounds like some bad diodes for sure and maybe my voltage regulator. Singer finally contacted me and said to send it in and he will check it out. Feel bad kinda bashing on him with this post now but he took a week to respond and already tried to blame the problem on other things.

13 minutes ago, blowthemup said:

I'm sure he was ssuggesting possible causes.As with any business he's trying verify if he's product is at fault.I've been running Singer for a few years and couldn't be happier with the product/customer service.A week to reply back,probably got busy,wether a day or a week he always had responded to my questions. 

Thought I would update this for those that commented or were maybe following.

My singer alternator was in need of a rebuild. Mike fixed it up and got it back to me in a timely manner. Its been sitting in my closet for a while now, haven't got around to putting it back in. Hopefully I don't have to do this every two years, it will get old swapping alternators.

First the zcon and now the alt you are having all kinds of problems. Is this a old build or car or something.

I was swapping alts bi-weekly in my last build. Hell I sometimes just didn't have one for a week because I didn't feel like changing it. 

Sorry for your troubles, ive had nothing but a great experiance with Mikes CS. Talk to him almost daily. Ive had around 9 singer alts in the past. None gave me a issue. All bolted right in. He helped over the phone get my dual's up and running, then, at 3am (the morning of a comp) i called him for support on gettin the quad set up running. He answered on the 3rd ring. Ive placed probably 30 alts to him for sale for others, and all of them have loved the product, and support. Sorry your experiance has not been the same.  I wont run any other alt. May try a USAlts here for fun, but, Mike is legit in everyway imho. 

Sorry for your troubles, ive had nothing but a great experiance with Mikes CS. Talk to him almost daily. Ive had around 9 singer alts in the past. None gave me a issue. All bolted right in. He helped over the phone get my dual's up and running, then, at 3am (the morning of a comp) i called him for support on gettin the quad set up running. He answered on the 3rd ring. Ive placed probably 30 alts to him for sale for others, and all of them have loved the product, and support. Sorry your experiance has not been the same.  I wont run any other alt. May try a USAlts here for fun, but, Mike is legit in everyway imho. 

I tend to be impatient and maybe jumped the gun complaining about him. I kinda felt bad afterwards but I knew the alternator was acting up and I reached out a couple times over a course of time when it first started acting up and it was just an explanation after explanation that it was something else. I dont like being put on the back burner when I know what I was seeing and hearing was the alternator. He shouldn't of pushed me off and should have let me ship it to him to be looked at when I first contacted him.

Nothing last forever in the car audio world, just sucks mine failed as soon as it did and with him being a one man business you cant treat him like walmart. I feel like he makes good alternators and has good customer service when you have his attention. I haven't installed the alternator since getting it rebuilt but i'm not gonna give up faith on his alternators or reputation. I feel like my first alternator just decided it didnt want to do its job anymore and I shouldn't hold that against him.

I have forgiven him for his excuses and I hope he has forgave me for bashing on him. Hopefully this one will last longer and prove his reputation and alternators. I tried to have the thread taken down over at caraudio.com so I wasnt leaving a bad mark on his name but had no luck in getting any help from anyone.

20 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

First the zcon and now the alt you are having all kinds of problems. Is this a old build or car or something.

Well it was first the alternator and now the zcon. I better not go outside in a thunderstorm cause I feel like I might get struck by lightning lol.

There is nothing old in the picture here, just some good products taking a shit on me unfortunately.

Yea it happens man just hang in their I'm sure if they're under warranty the manufacturer will make it right. 

19 hours ago, Kylar96 said:

Then get off the phone, no wonder he doesn't have time left to answer other people. :huh:

I have not had the best of luck with this guy.  He stayed in touch with me before I had an issue with his product now he won't respond to my emails.  I understood the alternator was to have a factory plug in.  When I told him I was having issues with the voltage he did send me a response explaining what I needed to do to make it work.  The issue is I did not understand the instructions and even asked if he could send me for lack of a better terms the dummy instructions because I didn't get it.  Three emails and no response.  Perhaps he's mad I don't understand, who knows.  I guess I won't understand since he does not to the right thing and at least respond after multiple emails.  Customer service seems to have gone out the window after I gladly paid the man for a product.

Post up your issue with as much detail as possible in the electrical section and maybe we can help you.

I had an issue with an alternator not fitting. He threaded the wrong thread type so my factory bolt wouldn’t fit. It took a while to resolve it being how we communicated through email. So he’d respond every few days   But you just gotta be patient. Long story short we tried different options and ultimately fixed the issue.  So it’s A1 in my book. He has a business so of course he’s not gonna send me a replacement of the alternator. We trouble shooter it together and resolved it. 

May times I was frustrated because I had my alt sitting for quite some time. But like I said the communication wasn’t lightning fast, which should b understood. Plus the shipping times prolonged things as well. But over all I’m a happy customer