Florida_Audio

Cheapest subwoofer for some clear bass, nothing too big?

Where do i even start, when considering a subwoofer?

i dont want very loud booming base. just enough to round out the sound. to produce lower frequencies and make it sound better.

I have the ability to bridge 2 channels on my amp (Pioneer GM-D8604) for 300 RMS at 4 ohms or 250 RMS at 2 ohms. also, isnt this weird? i thought at a lower ohm, it would be able to produce more power?

i guess you use whatever ohm the subwoofer is rated at? any difference between subwoofers rated at 2 ohm vs 4 ohm?

What about size of woofer? 8 inch, 10, or 12, etc? i believe larger woofer produces more bass, can be louder. but also requires more RMS to power larger woofers. Would an 8 inch subwoofer produce a cleaner bass, or different type of bass than a 12 inch? other than how loud it can get?

What about those tube, bazooka, self amplified subwoofers? ive heard those are horrible? but dont need to be hooked up to an amp? are they okay? or just trash?

I would be getting a premade enclosure. not too worried about making my own customized and such. just looking for something cheap, but good quality.

thanks. any info is appreciated!

My biased vote would be for an SSA Dcon 12 S4 sealed.

The size of the cone has nothing to do with how clean the music it produces.  It is all about the install/enclosure.

Forsure dont want to get a pre fab ported enclosure. . I think with what you want you should go with sealed

8 hours ago, denim said:

My biased vote would be for an SSA Dcon 12 S4 sealed.

The size of the cone has nothing to do with how clean the music it produces.  It is all about the install/enclosure.

ok thanks. it looks like its a 400 Watt RMS subwoofer? would that still sound okay if my amp can only do up to 300 RMS?

7 hours ago, frogcase2002 said:

Forsure dont want to get a pre fab ported enclosure. . I think with what you want you should go with sealed

what do you mean a pre fab ?

and i thought ported enclosures  sound better overall?

1 hour ago, Florida_Audio said:

ok thanks. it looifs like its a 400 Watt RMS subwoofer? would that still sound okay if my amp can only do up to 300 RMS?

Would be better to get ported If It was designed and built for the sub you get but If you plan on getting a premade (pre fab) enclosure I wouldnt get ported

1 hour ago, frogcase2002 said:

Would be better to get ported If It was designed and built for the sub you get but If you plan on getting a premade (pre fab) enclosure I wouldnt get ported

ok thanks for explaining

Usually premade ported enclosure are just made to save space and fit in trunks and shit. . With way to low port area and tuned really high and way to small for what subs really need

Powering a DCON with 300 watts RMS would be just fine.  In fact, you wouldn't be able to hear the difference between 300 and 400 watts.

17 hours ago, Florida_Audio said:

ok thanks. it looks like its a 400 Watt RMS subwoofer? would that still sound okay if my amp can only do up to 300 RMS?

300 is plenty.  I usually run a 240 watt A/B 2 channel, old ZED built amp to a Dcon.

im debating between a 10 inch and a 12 inch subwoofer

ive looked up dcon and am possibly interested.

but sort of just want some okay quality bass. nothing too crazy, and on quite a budget. i realized a cheap box can be around 40 bucks?

The DCON is going to be your best friend for budget bass, I promise.  I've bought four of them over the years, a 12" for my sister's Durango years ago, two 10"s for my wife's Traverse last year, and just last week a 12" for behind the seat in my son's pickup truck.  I didn't buy more of them after I got the one for my sister because they're a budget friendly sub.  I bought more of them for my own builds because the one I got for my sister has hands down been one of the best subs I've ever played with and deservingly so ESPECIALLY for what it costs.  

It's going to perform fine on the power you have in a sealed enclosure and in the future if you decide to upgrade your power a little and either build/have built a nice ported enclosure for it you'll never believe it's the same sub.  I've told people in the past that if I had known what the DCON was capable of I would have bought two of them and a smaller amp for my minivan (which has two Fi 12" Q's and a Sundown SAZ-2000D $1200+ worth of equipment) and saved myself a ton of money, and I meant every word of it.  Don't get me wrong, the Q's and the Sundown amp combo are absolutely unreal and honestly one of the best buys in audio equipment I've ever made over the years but I'm positive I would have been every bit as happy with DCON's in their place and put the money toward other things.

This enclosure at SonicElectronix is probably the best buy for a sealed prefab enclosure.  After sub displacement it's really close to the optimal recommended enclosure volume for the DCON 12", it's a fairly well constructed enclsoure and the price is a hair more than $40.

On 4/10/2016 at 3:10 PM, altoncustomtech said:

The DCON is going to be your best friend for budget bass, I promise.  I've bought four of them over the years, a 12" for my sister's Durango years ago, two 10"s for my wife's Traverse last year, and just last week a 12" for behind the seat in my son's pickup truck.  I didn't buy more of them after I got the one for my sister because they're a budget friendly sub.  I bought more of them for my own builds because the one I got for my sister has hands down been one of the best subs I've ever played with and deservingly so ESPECIALLY for what it costs.  

It's going to perform fine on the power you have in a sealed enclosure and in the future if you decide to upgrade your power a little and either build/have built a nice ported enclosure for it you'll never believe it's the same sub.  I've told people in the past that if I had known what the DCON was capable of I would have bought two of them and a smaller amp for my minivan (which has two Fi 12" Q's and a Sundown SAZ-2000D $1200+ worth of equipment) and saved myself a ton of money, and I meant every word of it.  Don't get me wrong, the Q's and the Sundown amp combo are absolutely unreal and honestly one of the best buys in audio equipment I've ever made over the years but I'm positive I would have been every bit as happy with DCON's in their place and put the money toward other things.

Wow, we need to bring you for product reviews. Thank you for the killer feedback.  It meas a lot.

I'm just giving credit where I feel credit is due. 

BTW I would give just about anything to be a play a bigger role in that kind of stuff. I love every SSA product I've tried and do everything I can to get the SSA name out there. Not only do the products kick ass but the way you guys run things and take care of customers is top shelf in my book as well. 

Oh yeah, there's probably going to be a fourth build where I would run a DCON or GCON coming up. 

8 hours ago, altoncustomtech said:

Oh yeah, there's probably going to be a fourth build where I would run a DCON or GCON coming up. 

Oh wow, nice! :)

11 hours ago, altoncustomtech said:

I'm just giving credit where I feel credit is due. 

BTW I would give just about anything to be a play a bigger role in that kind of stuff. I love every SSA product I've tried and do everything I can to get the SSA name out there. Not only do the products kick ass but the way you guys run things and take care of customers is top shelf in my book as well. 

I totally agree.

I loved all the SSA subs I've had : Icon, Xcon, and now Zcon, all in 15".

To the OP : the Dcon is a good choice on that power.