Florida_Audio

Birch wood speaker spacer, need to be waterproofed?

Do birch wood speaker spacers need to be waterproofed?

i went to local installer and they said they would use MDF and not waterproof them, just paint them with regular paint.

but i said i would need them waterproofed so they dont soak up water

so they went ahead and used birch wood speaker spacer instead.

these fine, if not waterproofed or treated?

and i heard these woods have harmful chemicals in them? or is that only when cutting them? and should be fine if installed in car, but not being cut?

Mdf has harmful chemicals in it. Wood period expands when wet but birch will expand less than mdf from what i was told. If your doos leak then you will have a problem but if they dont then it shouldnt be an issue. Ive never had water on the inner door skin where the speaker will mount that i know of, now between the inner door skin and out door I've seen water.

1 hour ago, jcarter1885 said:

Mdf has harmful chemicals in it. Wood period expands when wet but birch will expand less than mdf from what i was told. If your doos leak then you will have a problem but if they dont then it shouldnt be an issue. Ive never had water on the inner door skin where the speaker will mount that i know of, now between the inner door skin and out door I've seen water.

ok thanks. i cant find anything anywhere that talks about birch wood as a speaker spacer

all birch wood talk is about building boats and stuff... lol obviously with a boat, water is a greater concern

but with my speaker spacer, im wondering if i should be worried? i specifically said dont do MDF, unless you waterproof coat the wood

they said okay we will use plastic spacer. but then when i get my car they said they used birch wood.... im pretty sure birch is better than MDF as far as water issues. but im still worried

i wonder if it really is better than MDF as far as moisture issues, and why is it better?

im in florida, with high humidity all day and year round.... and it rains often. so im concerned

I really dont think you will have a problem.   Maybe in a few months take your door panel off and check out the wood and see what it looks like. . Iv used wood untreated for long periods of time befor with no issue. just depends how much water gets into your door

1 hour ago, frogcase2002 said:

I really dont think you will have a problem.   Maybe in a few months take your door panel off and check out the wood and see what it looks like. . Iv used wood untreated for long periods of time befor with no issue. just depends how much water gets into your door

ok thanks. ill see in a bit of time. yea thats like the only way to tell.

but also just wondering if any1 has had experience with birchwood

1 minute ago, Florida_Audio said:

ok thanks. ill see in a bit of time. yea thats like the only way to tell.

but also just wondering if any1 has had experience with birchwood

Iv made rings with birch wood before . Wasnt really any Different than mdf

Except lighter so they need more mass.  Definitely show be sealed.  Theybdelaminate with Any moisture which defeats the purpose of having them in the first place

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Except lighter so they need more mass.  Definitely show be sealed.  Theybdelaminate with Any moisture which defeats the purpose of having them in the first place

so they are pretty much the same as mdf. and as far as being light. when u say they need more mass? is that just to prevent it from moving? and i guess the only way i can think of to add weight, is some heat resistant clay?

1 hour ago, lithium said:

doesn't take much effort to waterproof them, even its something like flex seal or some truck bed liner 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-11-oz-LeakSeal-Clear-Spray-265495/203165633

ok thanks. yea says to wait 24 hours to cure. if i were to do this. id just open door panels. unscrew speakers. and spray the birch wood with this and then wait 24 hours, and then rescrew the speakers and spacers in?

should take less than 2 min to unscrew speakers and such. but maybe 5 min to take off door panels? should be super easy?

4 minutes ago, Florida_Audio said:

so they are removetty much the same as mdf. and as far as being light. when u say they need more mass? is that just to prevent it from moving? and i guess the only way i can think of to add weight, is some heat resistant clay?

ok thanks. yea says to wait 24 hours to cure. if i were to do this. id just open door panels. unscrew speakers. and spray the birch wood with this and then wait 24 hours, and then rescrew the speakers and spacers in?

should take less than 2 min to unscrew speakers and such. but maybe 5 min to take off door panels? should be super easy?

Yea Its not hard . I would look up videos on how to remove your door panels first If you havnt done It befor though. Just to see where any screws or clips are located

4 hours ago, frogcase2002 said:

Yea Its not hard . I would look up videos on how to remove your door panels first If you havnt done It befor though. Just to see where any screws or clips are located

ok thanks. any chance i might need some special tools to take off door panel?

i heard maybe something to slide between the panel to help pry it off? or something else?

or should just be simple hidden screws?

probably a youtube vid out there for where all the screws are and clips. if you have manual locks or window cranks then you have some extra steps. Id  pull the spacer and paint so its fully covered. water runs down the door when it rains so it needs to be sealed from all sides.