Sign in to follow this  
Dragon76

Minidsp

So I want to run a active set up for my fronts and rear my question is what unit minidsp do I want to use a 6 or 8 channel and also what model number that would be any help would be great as I'm new to this kind of set up. 

We need more information...

No idea what you are trying to accomplish atm.  

Btw, scrap the rears as they are completely useless and will just ruin the sound and not help it.

Ok I mean what model should I use for a active 3way raw driver set up for my front stage. Also when u said scrap the rears do u mean I should run a midbass instead and how big would 6" be too small or should I go with a 8" 

No, he means forget about having speakers in the rear altogether. They will only hurt soundstage and imaging, they're detrimental to the overall response not helpful in any way. With the front stage done right you'll never miss those rear speakers, ever.  You can take the budget you were going to spend on rear speakers and put it toward the installation on the front stage.

As for which model of miniDSP you need, I probably wouldn't suggest tackling a 3 way setup for your first time going active. There's a great deal to learn about how to tune just a 2 way (tweeter, woofer) setup let alone to add another driver (tweeter, midrange, woofer) to the mix. A 2x4 miniDSP should be all you need to start with. Later on down the road another 2x4 can be added when you're ready to tackle a 3 way.  There's not enough going on in the subwoofer realm to NEED to run its signal through the DSP. 

Ok also when it comes to the raw drivers are there anything I should look for as fare as what material they use to make them?

research research .....

oh and research... 

2 hours ago, Dragon76 said:

Ok also when it comes to the raw drivers are there anything I should look for as fare as what material they use to make them?

what you want to do is first read about 2 way active setups.. lots can be found here and **** and DIYmobile ... you'll need to understand fully what goes into one before looking at equipment.... I'd say it might just take a while before you know what you'll want to look for... install is of importance and you have to be willing to sacrifice lots of time and testing, unless you're a lucky one with a bad ear then you might be done very quickly

Ok sounds good thanks a lot 

Yes.  No rears, 2 way fronts that are chosen to work in YOUR specific mounting locations.  A single minidsp will run the fronts, but you'll need a second for the sub.

Materials on drivers are completely meaningless.  DIYmo is useless since Ant bought it years ago, just boneriffic choices thrown out now, much better to focus on your needs and capabilities than to get consumed by some subjective nonsense.

You need to figure out how big of a driver you can fit in all the possible locations you could put them and then way the differences.  2 possible options.  A midrange and a tweeter or a midbass and a full range driver.  If you try the latter you MUST have the FR driver 100% on axis or expect it to fail.  If that can't happen, then there is one choice.

3 way is a mess.  Just checking all the phase options takes a while, lol.