Notorious97200

advice for new zcon box

Hi everyone,

I have a 15" Zcon in a CX-5 Mazda. The box is huge in the cargo area : no more room left for groceries ! 4 cu ft @ 33 Hz.

IMG_0946.jpg

I would like to try a new box with sub up AND port up. I feel like the port is too close to the tailgate, and it flex too much.

How do you think a new box with port up will play ? Will I loose anything from that change ?

Is it absolutely necessary to have a double baffle ? I like to flush mount the sub, and I don't want to use 3 baffles for the new box?  Can it be good with good bracing only ?

I will try 3.5 cu ft to have asmaller box.

I need to take out the false stock floor to put a higher box and save space near the tailgate.

You can do flush mount with just 2 baffles. Dont have to have 2 baffles under the flush mount piece . . I would do as big as you can fit forreal . My experience with zcons is they really like big enclosures. .  What amp will you be running to it?

9 minutes ago, frogcase2002 said:

You can do flush mount with just 2 baffles. Dont have to have 2 baffles under the flush mount piece . . I would do as big as you can fit forreal . My experience with zcons is they really like big enclosures. .  What amp will you be running to it?

He has a IA20.1

3 hours ago, jcarter1885 said:

He has a IA20.1

But my voltage stays around 12.5 v all the time. It can go up to 14-15v when the alternator starts to work. It must be a regulated alt.

So I don't think this Zcon sees a lot of power. But it's loud.  :) 

I thought the Zcon liked smaller boxes than the Icon or the Xcon.

Going from 4 ft3 net, to 3.5 can be bad ?

Probably wouldnt be to bad . Not sure if I would do it if I didnt have to though. .  Shit when I had my zcon 12s they where in almost that much space each .they were crazy at a little over 3 cubes each. . Had my 15 in around 4.5

I got my zcon in 4cuft and wished it was a little bigger

You can squeeze it down to 3.25 cubes if you need to.  For daily, they do tend to prefer on the larger side of things, but you can go smaller and maybe compensate a little with some amp gain to offset some loss in efficiency.  I'm usually not one to lean on more power and less efficiency for daily, but if you need to gain some space back, it makes sense to try.

I'll take some mesurements this week-end. I'll tell you what I can do.
I don't have more power available, and I don't have the budget to run a bigger amp.

I hope I will be able to find a design that can please my ears and my need of cargo space !