Sign in to follow this  
Dragon76

Zapco Amps with DSP

Just wondering has anyone used the Zapco amps with built in DSP. I was informed that they are the same ones minidsp uses and could I use these for an active set up? 

Specifically it's the DSP-Z8 that's using the miniDSP as the basis of the machine. I'm not sure what DSP system is being used in the amps but I don't believe it is based on the miniDSP. 

Unless they have new amps (real possible) their old ones do not use a miniDSP, but that is irrelevant anyways.  Nothing special about the miniDSP other than its bang for the buck.  Flexibility is nice as well.  All that being said, you need to determine what you need for a DSP and make sure it has that as options.

I personally would love an all in one solution as the simplicity would be nice, but the flexibility given by being able to run any form factor amp that fits the space and having everything taken care of elsewhere usually ends up trumping that for me.

:WELCOME:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

1. Recent Topics

• 17 comments
        • 393 comments
        • 2 comments
        • 5 comments
        • 6 comments
        • 1 comment
  • Similar Content

• By Tirefryr
      Selling off everything but a few things.  All items are BNIB unless otherwise noted.  I am NOT interested in trades, sorry.

SOLD!

• By Dragon76
      So I want to run a active set up for my fronts and rear my question is what unit minidsp do I want to use a 6 or 8 channel and also what model number that would be any help would be great as I'm new to this kind of set up. 
    • By altoncustomtech
      Okay, we were finally able to get the vehicle that will be replacing the van as our daily driver.  I found a nice 2010 Traverse AWD with everything the wife wanted in it and a little more with decent miles on it and I even got a decent deal on it.  Now, the wife realized before we even got serious about shopping for one that we should probably tone down the size of the install in the new vehicle.  While she was/is still wanting some good sounding speakers and some bump going to the the size and extent of the build in the van was more than we need for this one.  One of the biggest reasons for that was simply because of the damage the Q's caused the van.  Before I installed them it was QUIET, not one interior panel rattled or made noise, not hardly a hint of sheet metal rattling could be heard.  At this point now not only is there a great deal of noise coming from the interior panels (particularly in the rear) but the Q's even managed to tear a spot welded seam in the floor of the van loose.  We simply don't want to repeat that in the new one.  

For this build we're looking at something smaller, possibly along the lines of a pair of 10's if the space is right, single 12, etc.  Something like the DCON, GCON or ICON come to mind, SSD's, possibly even IA or something else I've not got a chance to try yet as well.  We'll be running 1,000 to 1,500 watts on the subs and no more than that at all.  What goes in will depend completely upon the space available and which sub choice will work best with that space.  I'm going to try to keep the rear of the vehicle as usable as possible so I'm probably going to be building an enclosure with the subs firing downward and the port to the side.  The enclosure will likely consume all the space available on the width and depth behind the 3rd row seat and my limiting factor will be that we're trying to keep the enclosure height to about half the total height of the 3rd row seat.

The wife wants another Kenwood HU so we'll likely be ordering a DDX491HD and a Maestro RR integration unit this weekend for the source and to keep all the factory wheel functions and such.  I'm looking to use a PPI P900.4 for the highs and a similarly sized subwoofer amp to run the subs and those will be tucked away in the storage compartment under the floor in the rear with added ventilation if necessary.

That brings me to my biggest frustration with this build, lol.  Before we got serious about shopping for a vehicle the wife was COMPLETELY on board for me doing whatever was necessary to install the Bravox 603's.  Fiberglassed custom door panels were in the plans for whatever that vehicle was going to be, uh, well, right up until we picked up the Travy.  Now it's, "You aren't really going to cut it up and put holes in the doors are you?"    and "There's already places for tweeters, you can just use those right?"  then finally "You can just use the factory places for now, I want it to have a good sounding stereo but not know it until you hear it, as in can't see nothin'."    

So, there goes anything remotely close to what I was wanting to do.  I thought if the Bravox's wouldn't work out I might do a dedicated full range/midbass setup, or maybe even the equivalent of the Arc Audio Black 6.2 speakers in the SB Acoustic's mid and tweeter that Arc is using, or something really and truly worth a damn to do.  Nope.  She gave me a pretty much open budget for speakers but I don't see the point in spending any kind of good money on a set of components that cannot be optimally installed.  So I'm not completely sure where I'm going to go with the highs.  I have found a hell of a deal (<$250)on a new set of Kicker QS65.2 components which I'm leaning toward but I have to verify if there's any possibility of getting that tweeter behind the A pillar.  I've also looked at the MB Quart QC216 set which has a nice looking large format tweeter but since Maxxsonics has their nasty hands in MBQ now I'm kind of shying away from them as well.  As soon as I can figure out what the hell to do (still need to verify some measurements) I'll pull the trigger on equipment and get it coming.

Although the Travy is pretty quiet from the factory I'm still going to be ordering some SDS to treat the doors and all of the rear to start with.  I'll work on the floor and roof after we've had it a little while.  It has the sun roofs so I'm not in a real hurry to tear all that interior off the roof, nor am I in a hurry to figure out how to tear all the seats, center console, and carpeting out to treat those areas just yet.  I also have to pull the door panels off to see what kind of baffles I'll need to construct for it.  Luckily with the lower power I'm looking at running and the 170A factory alternator I shouldn't be looking at having to do anything too major on the electrical side of things.  Probably just the BIG 3 in 1/0 with Knu Kolossus.

So, that's the, um, kind of the plan, for what little plan there is.  The more I can verify as far as fit in this thing the better the direction for what/where it will go is going to look.  I hope to have all that figured out and to be ordering equipment and supplies this weekend.

Here's a quick shot of the Travy.  I just grabbed it to show to a co-worker.

Any input is welcome, especially from anyone who's done some install work in one of these as the entire Lambda platform is completely new to me.
    • By altoncustomtech
      Ran across this on the eBay and thought it looked like a great buy, especially for someone looking for a simple all in one solution for an active setup.  The Zapco I5100 is a seven channel amp that is rated for 50wrms x 4, 25wrms x 2 and 400wrms x 1 all @ 4 ohms.  By bridging the 4 channel section you get a rated 175wrms x 2 plus the 25wrms x 2 and the 400wrms x 1 and the sub section is rated 600wrms x 1 @ 2 ohms.  

In my mind the 2 x 175 would be great for a mid, the 2 x 25 would be great for tweeters and the sub section great for many subs on the market.  It seems like a fantastic solution to simplifying an active setup as far as the amplification is concerned and at $270 it seems to be priced great as well.

Here's the link to the listing - Zapco I5100 $270

Just tossing this up for discussion and comments.  I'm sure since it's the Zapco I series amp it's not the same quality as their reference and competition series but I can't see it being a bad one either.
  • Recent YouTube Posts