Sign in to follow this  
chevyfan454

SSA GCON or ICON in sealed box

I'm not real familiar with enclosures and things of that sort. I can wire them up and all that happy stuff. But I have a 2004 GMC Sierra extended cab and I was talking with a guy at a local audio shop about a box to go under my back seat. He mentioned something about .95cu.ft. for a sealed dual 10" truck box. I showed him the specs on the GCON subs and he told me they should fit no problem in that box. Then I got to looking and based on those specs it said the ICON and even XCON subs would fit as well. Since you all know more than I do about enclosures and sub depth, would the GCON subs fit in that box for my truck? It is a downfire box as well. If you need dimensions of the space underneath my seat I can get them after work.

Welcome to SSA, excellent choice on subs.  But first, we need to know your mounting depth in the box.  That will help determine if these SSA subs will fit.

On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 8:51 AM, denim said:

Welcome to SSA, excellent choice on subs.  But first, we need to know your mounting depth in the box.  That will help determine if these SSA subs will fit.

Sorry for such the late reply. I wasn't able to access the forums. But the mounting depth of the box is 6 13/16 inches. I was just wondering if that would be enough space with the pole vent on the back of the sub for sufficient cooling or if I'd be better off going with a Sundown SA?

Also if either the GCON or the SA are absolutely meant for a ported box, I'll just change plans and go ported. I want this next system to hit harder than the MTX Thunder 5500 series 12's that I have now.

Is the .95cuft sealed for EACH 10 or total?  I've seen up to 3cuft under that seat although you need to lift it then.  I had an 02 and a ported 12" Gcon would have surely fit under my seat if the box builder were a bit clever.  That box may up the ante pricewise on what you are looking at significantly though...

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Is the .95cuft sealed for EACH 10 or total?  I've seen up to 3cuft under that seat although you need to lift it then.  I had an 02 and a ported 12" Gcon would have surely fit under my seat if the box builder were a bit clever.  That box may up the ante pricewise on what you are looking at significantly though...

I'm guessing it's .95 for each 10". I'm not sure which box it is exactly. I only got to talk to him briefly due to other customers coming in, but I'm guessing it's similar to this http://www.audioenhancers.com/vehiclespecific/gmx190.php

8 hours ago, chevyfan454 said:

Sorry for such the late reply. I wasn't able to access the forums. But the mounting depth of the box is 6 13/16 inches. I was just wondering if that would be enough space with the pole vent on the back of the sub for sufficient cooling or if I'd be better off going with a Sundown SA?

The GCON has a plug in the pole so rear clearance is not really an issue. The GCON works well in a sealed enclosure.

6 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I'm not sure why it's still saying I'm quoting M5, so if it shows up that way for you all when I post this reply I do apologize. But you say the GCON should have no problems in that box? Also you said the do well sealed. Will they definitely hit harder than the MTX subs I have that are currently in a ported box with the same amp or will I have to push more power to them? My current amp is a MA Audio HK2000D mono at 1800wrms at 17.7v or something like that. I'm running it at 14.4v and it's said to be rated at 1500wrms that way. (I got the MTX subs and amp with ported box all for really cheap from a friend and don't know a whole lot of history about MTX or MA Audio, but if it's truly 1500wrms these subs have been handling it like a champ since I got them lol) 

Sign out and sign back in . . It should get rid of that. . Has happened to me a few times

The hit question is box dependent....you need to fix the box first.

9 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I logged out and back in still quoting you for some reason M5 but what do you mean by fix the box first? I currently have a ported box that sits on the seat. I'm wanting to go with the box that goes under the seat that a linked above for I safer alternative and cleaner look, but still be able to make those SSA's hit hard if the cooling is not an issue

Edited by chevyfan454

If you current subs are lacking, it is usually the box.  99% of people that log on shopping for subs have a piece of crap box that is screwing everything up.  I am concerned since we have no details on the box you are having built that it will be a downgrade.  The sub/s will definitely be an upgrade, but if you don't also upgrade the enclosure that would be a mistake.

11 hours ago, ///M5 said:

If you current subs are lacking, it is usually the box.  99% of people that log on shopping for subs have a piece of crap box that is screwing everything up.  I am concerned since we have no details on the box you are having built that it will be a downgrade.  The sub/s will definitely be an upgrade, but if you don't also upgrade the enclosure that would be a mistake.

Hes not trying to fix that enclosure That sits on his seat. . He wants an under the seat enclosure

On 4/22/2016 at 9:53 AM, chevyfan454 said:

There is a pole cap, so the Gcon does not need rearward venting.

So even though the subs will fit in an under the seat style box, will they perform well at all? I know most spl subs perform better in a ported box, but how much of a difference would it really make? Also thank you to everyone who has been replying to this thread

The Gcon was never really intended for SPL.  As long as you have enough box volume and some space in front of the cone, it should perform quite well.