Sign in to follow this  
efreakingt

Need recommendation on components.

Vehicle is a 2004 lincoln aviator. I want components that will fit in stock locations for all four doors.

The setup is a pioneer 3800 head unit, fi bl 15 in 4 cubes ported at 32, T1000-1bdcp. I need components that will fit the doors (tweeters I can mount anywhere) that will give me decent coverage. I'd prefer to not drop a ton on the speakers overall, maybe $400 total. I'm going with either a punch or power 4 channel for the mid amp. 

400 including the amp? if not, then what amp exactly? id assume the amp must be known before any1 can suggest what speakers to get.

you sure you want components for the rear? tweeters are probably not needed in rear.

I'm between the P400x4 or the T400x4 right now. $400 just for the speakers give or take. 

So far my only real contender is the polk mm or db set for the front doors. The factory setup is a 6x8 pod with a small driver and tweeter in the front doors and plain 6x8 in the rear doors. 

As far as the rears I was thinking maybe just a plain driver without tweeter. For the fronts I am wondering what location will be best for the tweeter, up near the top of the door or down closer to the kick panel. 

Edited by efreakingt

Ignore the rears completely.  Absolutely pointless for ANYTHING.  They do one thing though and that is ruin how the front sounds.  

The nice part is that frees up some money for the fronts to really improve things.  And by improve things I mean the install.  Use the rear budget for deadening the front doors and whatever you choose will sound 9Million times better.

As for what to choose, first step is to listen to some things and see what you like and share that.  The Polk dB sound like crap to me...

Well the deadening isn't an issue because I've already budgeted full deadening for the install. My main issue is with standard listening for my rear passengers. 

I could go full on high end components in the fronts but how will that sound for my rear passengers?

It will sound better to them in the rear with only fronts than both.

People are ALWAYS so worried about the rear passengers hearing the music and they don't understand that they can hear it from the front just fine. Not to mention, are you spending the time and money for people who aren't in those seats as often as you are in the drivers seat or are you doing all this for yourself?? I've only installed and used the front speakers in my vehicles for the last six years which includes a 1998 Chevy Venture minivan, a 2001 GMC Jimmy and a 2010 Chevy Traverse. Now the Jimmy is so small that most people wouldn't worry about it but the van and the Traverse with the third row seats I have people ask all the time why I didn't put speakers in the back. That is until they sit in the rear and understand just how well the sound travels and how good it sounds coming from the front. 

Rear speakers do nothing but skew sound stage and imaging, cause cancellation and destructive interaction with the front, and are simply a waste of time and money.

When he mentioned spending the money on installation he wasn't just referring to sound deadener, the location of the speakers and how they're mounted are just as important. While changing the location from the factory one is often times more work than most people are willing to do don't assume for a second that it's the best location. Vehicle manufacturers think of audio as an afterthought, and typically just throw them in whatever location is the least amount of trouble and least expensive for them. A good solid wood baffle to replace the crappy, flimsy plastic one that the factory speakers mount to is a good way to help the installation of your new speakers if you're not going to relocate them. That's what he was referring to on improving the quality of the installation. 

these components are very good for the price....crystal clear and you can feel the mid bass 

they can swallow TONS of power , I'm running a Soundstream REF 2.640 bridged (640w rms ) per channel and they take it no problem

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjP5I6-wqXMAhXHsYMKHXnGDe0QFghAMAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FJBL-C608GTi-mkII-GTi-Series-6-1-2-6-3-4-2-way-Component-Car-Speakers-System-%2F301693257673&usg=AFQjCNGTTK1JdEd1zjwqkHvde17dspNiJg

Well as far as relocating speakers, I am trying to maintain the stock interior for future sale. The sub instalation is going to be pretty heavy on alterations but I can convert back to stock look when I remove it all. 

I'd prefer doing a baffle in the door to hold the speaker and tweeter if possible to avoid any external cutting. Everything on this car is super expensive to replace if I cut stuff up. Plus I'd prefer to draw as little attention as possible to anything that's installed for theft purposes. 

I was just looking at the T165-s earlier, anyone have experience with those. I don't have a ton of places I can go demo good components that I know of. 

Edited by efreakingt

Well I've got a set of hertz hsk 165 on the way. Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll try a mdf baffle with the driver and tweeter in the door first. 

On 23/04/2016 at 3:51 PM, Thumpper said:

these components are very good for the price....crystal clear and you can feel the mid bass 

they can swallow TONS of power , I'm running a Soundstream REF 2.640 bridged (640w rms ) per channel and they take it no problem

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjP5I6-wqXMAhXHsYMKHXnGDe0QFghAMAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FJBL-C608GTi-mkII-GTi-Series-6-1-2-6-3-4-2-way-Component-Car-Speakers-System-%2F301693257673&usg=AFQjCNGTTK1JdEd1zjwqkHvde17dspNiJg

I always wanted to try a set of those gti's. They're on the market for years.

I wanted a set of those when I blew one of my mids. I could not find none, so I asked for advice here and I bought a pair of Seas. I'm happy with them, hopefully !