Mersc

Potential GCON 15 purchase, a few questions

I know I am asking a lot of questions, but if I can get answers then I will buy one of your GCON 15s. Need all answers please, from 1 person or multiple. Can just say 1) yes 2) no... etc.

I have read (on these forums and others) that the enclosure is EVERYTHING, so that is the majority of the questions.

1) I am looking to buy a good SQ 15" sub at a decent price. Heard about the GCON 15". Am I correct, that this is a good SQ sub?

2) I want a sealed enclosure for better SQ and space saving. Does the GCON 15" sound good in a sealed enclosure?

3) Enclosure size. What is the optimal ft^3 size for this sub in a sealed enclosure? (internal volume- I will add 1.5" to length, width, height to account for 3/4" MDF thickness.)

4) Does the enclosure size answer from previous question account for .18ft^3 that the sub occupies? Or should I add another .18ft^3 to account for that?

5) What are the best proportions, SQ-wise? Meaning, should the box be a "cube" with equal length, width and height (18"x18"x18")? Or is there a ratio, like the length should be double the width, etc (24"x12"x18")?

6) Wiring question. I have a Kole Audio HK1440-2 HK amp. The specs are:

Bridged RMS Power (Watts x Channels)720 x 1

RMS Power at 4 ohms (Watts x Channels)300 x 2

RMS Power at 2 ohms (Watts x Channels)360 x 2

Not sure why the Ohms aren't listed for bridged mode, but I THINK the bridged 720watt mode is @ 2 ohms? (because 2 chan mode is 360 @ 2 ohm)

If I wired the amp like this (on a 2 ohm GCON 15): 

1_sub_DVC_2_ohm_2ch_bridged.jpg

...the impedence would be 4 ohms. So that means the wattage would be cut in half? So I'd only be pumping 360 rms, not 720 rms? Is 360 rms enough for this sub? Should I wire another way or use the 4 ohm GCON to get 720 rms?

Thank you so much!

Edited by Mersc

I loved all the SSA subs I had : Icon, Xcon, and now Zcon !

This Gcon should sound good in a sealed box. 

Specs must be listed on the site.

Run this amp in 2 channel mode on this sub if you want.  Usually bridge mode is at 4 Ohms, but I don't know this amp.

1.  Yes, all the SSA subs are designed for sounding good primarily and getting loud is right behind that. 

2.  It will sound great in a sealed enclosure!  You will get more output from it in a ported enclosure at the cost of the additional space requirements, no real loss of sound quality in a properly designed and built ported enclosure. 

3.  It has a large range of 2.75cuft to 5.0cuft. The best way to know the optimal size in that range is to model the response in some software and pick the size that gives you the response you prefer. 

4.  No, the .18cuft of subwoofer displacement is additional to the enclosure size. 

5.  There's no real "best" when it comes to enclosure dimensions. I read about a thing called a "Golden Ratio" several years ago but in most vehicles it's pretty much impossible to keep the ratio perfect, besides the difference would only be measurable not audible. 

6. I am certain the amp is only 4 ohm stable bridged, which means that the power output would be 720x1 at 4 ohms. Wired just like the diagram shows your amp, the sub and yourself will be very happy!

Well once again, Alton beat me to it and I could not have said it much better.

Dimension wise the worst you can do is all equal sides.  Other than that make it fit. :)

Wow you guys are awesome! Fast reply Really appreciate it. I just ordered the GCON 15 2ohm :D

Going to build a 3ft^3 sealed enclosure and face it forward with the seat folded down. If it's not loud enough (I'm sure it will be) I can always build a larger ported box later.

Again, thank you. Going to buy some MDF and get started on the box. Actually, one question about that. It's better to run the wire through a tiny tiny, sealed hole, rather than try to build in a connector? Running a single wire from the amp to the sub is better, no?

Awesome, thank you for grabbing the Gcon.  You can do a connector if you can seal it up.