DirtySouthWookie

New to Sundown!

Just threw two x18 v.2s in my Yukon in a 15 cu ft box on an SCV4000. Very impressive, but I developed coil rub after just a month. It's really strange because there is no felt rub when you press down on the cone.. Actually, it only rubs when the coil is cold. After I pump one second of true RMS to it, there is magically no rub.. The other sub is fine. I monitor the clipping light religiously and the only time I see a red flash is on the attack peak of bass notes. From what I have researched, a slightly flashing clipping light is pretty normal and a fast flashing light is slightly overpowered. Solid red is clipping. \

As far as I can tell the sub is fine when played at loud volumes and only makes the VC running sound again when the sub is cold.

I went ahead and ordered another sub just to have one on deck and am sending this one in for them to check out and hopefully warranty since its only a month old. Hopefully it just needs to be shimmed or something.

Anyone ever seen a sub only have coil rub when its cold with no felt coil rub in the cone?

Thanks!

Edited by DirtySouthWookie

:WELCOME:

Welcome

Welcome :)
Sadly, never heard about your problem before :(

Good luck with the subs!

Welcome to SSA! 

I have never had the issue with the cold effecting the coil, and live somewhere that gets pretty cold. 

Sounds like you may have got a sub that slipped by quality control. But Jacob at sundown is one of the better owners so I would almost guarantee he will make it right and fix it or send you another. I have heard of him upgrading people with bigger newer amps for nothing so how many company's you hear of doing something like that. I have had nothing but good luck with my sundown team 12's.