Laidbackbigun

Stainless Steel Bolts for grounds

I have the oppurtunity to use stainless steel bolts for grounds on a project i am working on. i have read that stainless is not generally a good conductor of electricity. I want to run stainless because on this truck the bolts will see some weather. So i figure i would use stainless to help combat the rust and corrosion regular steel bolts and nuts see. So what do the Gods and Gurus think? Stainless for grounds like for air compressors and amplifiers? Large relocated battery grounds to frame and cab with stainless bolts or should i just go and buy regular bolts and deal with rust and crap later?

Iv used them when bolting a ring terminal to frame. Im sure its good if the ring terminal is making the good connection

Same here. The actual connection is where the terminal touches the surface of the body/frame/etc. 

Or just get a decent zinc plated bolt and paint/grease/whatever over your connection.(after you have connected it and prepared it properly).

Good post!

I ALWAYS use dielectric grease and then paint grounds.  Corrosion starts when the dissimilar metals contact each other.  Stainless resists this, but the contact between the steel and copper lug will accelerate it.  The best bet is always to prevent oxygen from penetrating the connection as long as possible.

Well the problem is i was going to use the bolt as sort of a stud. so that once the bed in back on the truck i don't have access issues to it. so ideally it would be bolt, washer, truck bed, washer, lock washer, nut, washer, terminal, washer, lock washer, nut. so in issue is ground would rely on connection of bolt to sheetmetal but use bolt as ground stud.

Re-read tirefryr's recommendation.  Don't bother with the stainless.

I would not use stainless just to avoid the galling issues associated with it.  You'd hate to have to cut it off first time you need to change something.  

I'm also a little curious why so many washers/lock washers, if you need something to hold a lock washer is generally useless, use a deformed thread or nylock lock nut.  

bolt, truck bed, flat washer, spring lock washer, plain nut.....   flat washer , terminal, flat washer, followed by a nylon lock nut