Sign in to follow this  

I'm looking to do the big 3 on my 98 expedition. I was looking at the wiring from alt to batt and there are 2 runs of wire. Both are fused. Either 150 or 175 amp fuses. Am I alright to run wire straight from the amp to the battery? Or should I replace wire from alt to the fuses then fuses to batt? I'd rather leave stock wiring there and then run a 4 or 0ga run straight over. Of course I'd just do the 2 grounds chassis to block, block to batt. Any have experience with a late 90s ford?

With the big 3 you just add wire, not replace. . And fuse your new wire between the alt and batt

I've never ran a fuse between alt and batt. These are on there because one is starter solenoid I found. I'll just run a 4ga wire over from alt. It has 2 8-10ga runs already and I'm not seeing much voltage drop now anyways. 

Anything with power going through you should fuse

14 hours ago, frogcase2002 said:

Anything with power going through you should fuse

Yup yup, it can be a small pain to do, but much preferred to car fires ._.

Really? My bravada had 2 1/0 runs from 240a alt to batt. Never figured I'd need a fuse between there. I had one from front to rear batts. Just for the fact the it could rub or something and short. Guess I'll use one of my spare holders when I run the wire over.