Sign in to follow this  
havok13154

JL w7 12" vs SI D2 12"

It took me 2 minutes of listening time to double my woofer budget and get the mags... then I got them, and sold them... to get more mags.

YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED IN THE MAGS.

Trust me, and everyone else.

w7 is distorted. not SPL sub distorted...just distorted. kinda like the tube amp of speakers. sounds "warm"

subs like the Brahma play the signal that is given to them extremely acurately. People that are used to subs like the w7 dont like subs like the brahma because its too clean. Kind of like people that are addicted to tubes dont like solid state amps as much. :)

w6v2, on the other hand, its a nice assed sub. Very compareable to RE's SE...and now that RE sent crazy and pushed the toilet lever...the w6v2 can be had for the same price as the SE so may as well go with JL

/OT

Funny you say that cuz i play guitar and i dont like solid state amps much, im a tube head. So are u sayin my ear would perfer a W7 over a SI Mag? A mag is what im planin on gettin :ughdunno:

Depends, i prefer the sound of a tube amp (im jsut too poor to buy one) but i also like the sound of my avalanche (XBL^2 equiped, very dry reproduction). Do some listening to figure what you would like the most. :)

If you run your Mag on a tube amp i beleive you will be most satisfied...but high powered tube amps are expnesive. You might want to think about a tube preamp and a very clean solid state amp. :)

Our Mag's do not need a tube preamp or amplifier to make them listenable with classical or instrumental music. They are not harsh and brash. Linearity is fine outwards ~24mm one-way. If you're worried about listening to musical passages at over 2" of travel then you need to re-think what you consider critical listening because massive SPL and critical listening don't go hand-in-hand.

The dub sev does use an overhung motor (which is what ours is). No XBL^2 in the dub sev, but they did notch the pole piece to extend BL in one direction. It definitely has a characteristic sound to it, but it's not my bag of marbles.

You dont NEED it but the even order harmonics added are prefered by some. Bass? doesnt really matter to me. Midbass-trebble? sounds "warmer" and has more depther IMHO.

so i mag isn't good for instrumentals, i listen to instrumentals, techno and rap a lot.

i am bulinding a box tommrow, i hope i didn't make a mistake getting a 15" mag

so i mag isn't good for instrumentals, i listen to instrumentals, techno and rap a lot.

It is good for any type of music. It is a speaker designed to reproduce music like it is supposed to sound. If you want to distort it, use an EQ or a processor like BBE or Media Xpander.

It is good for any type of music. It is a speaker designed to reproduce music like it is supposed to sound. If you want to distort it, use an EQ or a processor like BBE or Media Xpander.

x2. the mag is an awesome lowend monster! very clean, very accurate.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

You dont NEED it but the even order harmonics added are prefered by some. Bass? doesnt really matter to me. Midbass-trebble? sounds "warmer" and has more depther IMHO.

Very true. Tube equipment does have a significant impact on midbass'ish to the extreme upper end. I haven't heard anything tube on a sub stage for the reasons you listed earlier.