Sign in to follow this  
Billy Jack

Dodge dash speakers

Yea that's what I'm doing I'm just replacing the stock speakers with my JL's. Factory had 3's in dash 6x9's in doors and rear. I bought a bracket to mount my 61/2's and tweeters  to mount in the front door. I plan on using some second skin door kits before I mount my 6's. I thought dodge may have been using the doors as mids and the dash speakers as tweeters but I guess there just separate coaxial's. I mounted my JL HD1200/1 in the trunk with a 1000watt capable battery and a JL13w7 in a prowedge box. I am having a dual ported box built for 2dub 7's and I'm gonna pick up another amp and altenator later from Arron here at SSA. I spoke with him on chat and he said he could get me a mechman to support the 2 battery's and 2 HD's. Should sound pretty nice when it's all completed its not to shabby now with just the one sub and factory speakers. 

Yea I'm gonna try unhooking the rears and the dash and see how I like it. My truck did sound good like that but I honestly prefer the sound of a car full of speakers like I'm surrounded by music and can't tell where it's coming from. To me it sounds like your riding around with the band right in the car with you. 

38 minutes ago, Billy Jack said:

Yea I'm gonna try unhooking the rears and the dash and see how I like it. My truck did sound good like that but I honestly prefer the sound of a car full of speakers like I'm surrounded by music and can't tell where it's coming from. To me it sounds like your riding around with the band right in the car with you. 

I used to have the same outlook, until I went active. I'm not saying you have to go to an active setup to sound good, that's just when it happened for me. Just simply unhooking other speakers probably wont help you in your decision. Some more tuning will be in order. 

And by tuning you mean? Moving location of speakers, tweets, or setting crossovers? Right now I have my LPF set to 80hz and the HPF set to 80hz. Sound pretty good right now.

Tuning is anything thay changes the response.

Crossover, equalizer, time alignment, level balance, aiming, deadening, install, etc....

Btw, they dont sound good if you think they sound better with the rears on.  Telltale sign needing help.

I'm using the same system extreme audio put in my last car I don't understand what the problem is. Right now it sounds like AC/DC is riding in the car with me playing how much better does it need to be. I have had many systems with just front stage and yes they did sound good but I actually prefer the sound of being surrounded by music. If the system didn't have as much output I would probably run a active system but as it stands I'm gonna try both ways and see which I prefer in this car. 

If you have no problem, you have no problem.  Not sure why you think differently.  We never said you had a problem.  What was stated was simply that there is a TON of room for improvement on the table if you think it sounds better that way.  It is a sure sign of things not being setup right.  All that being said if you think it is perfect, then it is perfect for you and that is all that matters.

Yea I love the way it sounds all I wanted to know is how these dodge dash speakers work like are they tweeters wired into a door mid or just separate coaxial's. I actually found the alpine amps owners manual online and it does go down to 2ohm so I'm good either way. 

Do NOT run a 6.5 and a 3.5 in parallel on an amp.  That would be idiotic.

Well how are they running from the factory cause as of right now they sound great. Can't tell which one is playing unless you stick your ear to it. I honestly don't get how these 6 speaker factory stereo's work myself seems like the 3.5's would be way louder off the same power as there smaller and handle less wattage but some how it's working just fine. I had my alpine h/u and power pack installed so I have no idea how they wired it except for the steering wheel control I helped the kid figure that one out myself i.e. read the instructions. Lol

Edited by Billy Jack

I had a Dodge Challenger with the same speaker setup, 6X9's in the door and 3 1/2" in the dash.  I put a 6 1/2" component set in the doors and kept the 3 1/2"s.  THEN I unhooked the 3 1/2's and had a competent shop (long, sad story) install the set CORRECTLY and it sounded way better.

Chrysler/Fiat might have the shittiest factory sound systems on earth (seriously, how can they sound that muddy, hollow, AND tinny at the same time!?!?!?), the 6X9"s were crossed over to play the low end and 3 1/2"s handled the rest, it wasn't a bad concept, but the HU was TERRIBLE, and sat radio sounded like AM from the 70s.

Haha you cant get someome close minded to understand, so let him do it his way. This reminds me of my first days on the forum years ago, went from 20 interior speakers to 4 and haven't lost a beat.

Ha I said I was gonna try just the components and see if I liked it. Would you go home and unhook half your system because I said to no you wouldn't you would probably do like me and take the advise with a grain of salt and try it both ways and see what sounded better. What sounds good to me may not sound good to you and vise versa. My hearing is actually damaged from years of equipment, systems, and gun fire so maybe I don't here what you guys here with just one set of 61/2's. And you got to remember this isn't a dodge radio or system cause I have replaced it all but the dash speakers. I mean honestly how bad can alpine and JL sound? Wait don't answer that lol.

I was a big Alpine HU and amp fan, ran it in a lot of vehicles, but that was 20 years ago...

Replacing the craptastic Chrysler/Fiat HU was the best first step! :)

You are missing the point completely.  Comparing a crap install with or without the rears will tell you nothing.  Fix what you have first!!

And as for your other question.  Yes pretty much all car components are lame.  I havent run a comp set in my car since the late 80's

So what is it you run? 

Raw drivers chosen for their environment, aiming and frequency response with a processor to run the crossover and eq.

22 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

Ha I said I was gonna try just the components and see if I liked it. Would you go home and unhook half your system because I said to no you wouldn't you would probably do like me and take the advise with a grain of salt and try it both ways and see what sounded better. What sounds good to me may not sound good to you and vise versa. My hearing is actually damaged from years of equipment, systems, and gun fire so maybe I don't here what you guys here with just one set of 61/2's. And you got to remember this isn't a dodge radio or system cause I have replaced it all but the dash speakers. I mean honestly how bad can alpine and JL sound? Wait don't answer that lol.

Hell no especially not from you, haha thanks for the laugh this morning. But yes if I were in your shoes with all these knowledgeable people giving me advice I would but again me and you are different people.

So basically if your not a audio world champ or a expert your gonna be talked down to and attacked here right. I can't help but feel like your guys egos are a little swelled. Yea we may not know everything about audio but not everybody is that into it or sells equipment. I myself built bridges all over the east coast and if you asked me a question I wouldn't talk down at you because it is a complex process that if you don't work in it you ain't gonna know. Just seems like you guys are a bit aggressive for someone just asking questions but whatever carry on with the 8 people who are still here. 

Perhaps you could see this from a different light.  You were very decided on what exactly you wanted to do and asked for verification it was the right thing.  When it wasn't agreed that your method was the right choice you took everything as an attack when we are just trying to show you that you are making decisions without understanding the best path for success.

It has nothing at all to do with being a champ and everything with wanting to learn.  If you don't want to learn, why bother asking a question?

I was actually talking about j carter not you M5 you have been more then helpful and I appreciate the words of wisdom. Apparently car audio has changed greatly since I competed in the 90's and I have some catching up to do. But even back then I never liked when some one had a wall of 15's with just 2 61/2's components in the front doors. I actually lost to a guy in a hatchback that had that very setup and it was a stereo you couldn't even here the music it was just a giant wind tunnel which is ok if you don't like nothing but bass. Sorry for the confusion I didn't realize the alpine power pack could drive 2 ohm loads. 

1 hour ago, Billy Jack said:

Apparently car audio has changed greatly since I competed in the 90's and I have some catching up to do. But even back then I never liked when some one had a wall of 15's with just 2 61/2's components in the front doors. 

Or perhaps you need to go to a region that is competitive.  I competed in the late 80's and 90's and NEVER ran components then either.  3 15's, a single midbass, single midrange and tweeter per side.  Times haven't changed, just some installations were always better than others.

Anyone who competes in SQ with just a set of components, fails....although they will beat the guy with two sets.

This was bass race not sq. 30 seconds on music. And this was meca in Kentucky and Tennessee. My best score in 95-96 was 148 on 100 watts. Good old Phoenix gold m100 and I also had a m50 on my highs mids. That was with 3 JL12w6's in a tiny Toyota hatchback. Those where the days. 

Instead of reading and comprehending whats wrote you rather add words and speculate. If thats what you got from my post then I cant help you. If your letting words get to you or under your skin then I can't help you. No ego here, dont get your panties in a bunch.