Sign in to follow this  
Billy Jack

Dodge dash speakers

Ow and what you described with just a mid range mid bass and tweeter is what I call a component set. JL C5 components are 6" mid bass 4" midrange and a tweeter. So how is your different. Or are you calling a component set just a midrange, tweeter, with crossovers? I'm so confused.

Edited by Billy Jack

A component set is not specific for a certain environment and has set passive crossover points. Not much to change with them other than installation

So your saying if I have a set of focal Utopias components and a digital processor I still can't change the sound for the environment. You lost me there.

Well most people that are buying a component set dont use a dsp for them

People are just tring to tell you that if you properly install a mid and tweeter it will sound alot better than installing alot of speakers just trying to get more output with multiple speakers.

Mass speakers or crazy expensive speakers wont do anything if shit is not installed properly

Of course install is a big part no doubt but I'm just replacing my stock locations with a system I already have.  The only thing I don't have is the dash speakers but I may just unhook them and run my JL's cause I loved the sound it had in my last car. This will be 61/2's in doors with foam gaskets and second skin mat with the tweeter mounted 3/4 ways up the door and the 6x9's in the back just because I like the rear fill. And of course 2 13w7's in a custom ported box ran off HD1200/1's. Later on I want to get a better set of components cause I just bought the C2's because they where cheap and I had already spent a lot on my subs and amps. I'm not going for just sq I want it loud to probably more then I want sq but it would be nice to have both of course. And this isn't a system for competition or anything it's just for my listening pleasure. Just trying to do the best with what I already have. And I'm surprised the dash speakers sound as good as they do I figured after installing my alpine and amp they would be screening and distorted but there not. Or if they are my deaf ass can't hear it. 

7 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

This was bass race not sq. 

That is irrelevant, we were discussing front stages.

7 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

Ow and what you described with just a mid range mid bass and tweeter is what I call a component set. JL C5 components are 6" mid bass 4" midrange and a tweeter. So how is your different. Or are you calling a component set just a midrange, tweeter, with crossovers? I'm so confused.

Umm, no.  Buying a single driver that works good in a location is not a "component set".  A component set can indeed include raw drivers.  Good example is the Alpine F1 status set.  It consists of a Scan Speak Revelator mid and a Scan Speak D2904 tweeter.  Retail on the mid is $200, retail on the tweeter about the same.  Alpine then slapped together some shitty ass crossover to mate with them and sold them for $5,000 as a component set.

A set includes the drivers and the crossover.  I will never buy another compromised crap ass car audio crossover ever in my life.  Last time I did was in the 80's.  I see no reason in it.  Of course, it is easier to not.

1 hour ago, Billy Jack said:

Of course install is a big part no doubt but I'm just replacing my stock locations with a system I already have......This will be 61/2's in doors with foam gaskets and second skin mat with the tweeter mounted 3/4 ways up the door and the 6x9's in the back just because I like the rear fill.

Gasket is pointless.  Build a baffle, fix your install.

You say you like having a rear stage as well, what I read is you don't like your front stage.  Stop talking about the rears and liking them and instead fix the front so you don't.  It is really easy and will be a monster revelation to you once done.  The rears add nothing and make the front stage worse.  No ifs ands or buts.

You make no  sense who said anything about a single speaker I said a component set was a mid woofer, mid range, tweeter with crossovers like every audio company in the world sells including Ssa.  And I have never liked active crossovers I think the high end audio manufacturers like JL do a better job of adjusting the sound then I can.  I know I put my components in the same position they said would be optimal for and it sounds great to me. Now my car is quiet and maybe in a different setup or car it might not work but in mine now it is. Sorry but I just ain't a active guy. 

Edited by Billy Jack

Not saying you should run active, but your premises aren't right.

First off, I said something about a single speaker.  Exactly how I shop.  Best driver for the job at hand always beats a compromise.  The other problem is that you have faith in JL.  Sure they build good stuff, but their crossovers are monstrous compromises of budget and average location.  Any speaker builder will tell you that they want to measure the speakers IN SITU before designing a crossover.  JL can't do that in your car and therfore their passives are a guess for someone elses car.  I don't want that.  You would also laugh if you measure their crossovers as they hardly do anything.  Then if you disassemble them and look at the components you will cry when you realize what cheap crap they used.  Active takes time and will start out worse, but slow your faith down in JL.

Btw, don't buy an alternator.  For your install you don't need one, will cause more harm than good.  We'd rather see you use your budget on things that will help your car sound better!

Lastly, don't be sorry.  It isn't a carte blanche recommendation to go active, far from it.  At the same time though optimizing the install of whatever you use is paramount