Sign in to follow this  
jcarter1885

Effects of speaker missing it's dustcap.

Quick question, what are the effects of a midbass/range driver missing its dustcap?

Recently I dented my cone and tried to fix it but ended up with a speaker with no dustcap attached, no other damage to speaker whatsoever. Its a cheap driver so I can replace it but thought I would ask before purchasing another one. Thanks

Mms (moving mass) decreases so parameters change slightly, Fs will increase a little, efficiency will go up a little, Qts will change, etc.

As Sean said the Sd (cone area) is slightly less, so Vas will go down a little and peak output potential will go down a little.

Also the behavior of the cone will be a little different.  The dust cap stiffens the cone slightly and changes the resonance behavior of the cone itself.

And the obvious...it's easier to get shit in the voice coil gap which could ruin the speaker.

Will also lose most if not all cooling in the sub. 

12 hours ago, Impious said:

Mms (moving mass) decreases so parameters change slightly, Fs will increase a little, efficiency will go up a little, Qts will change, etc.

As Sean said the Sd (cone area) is slightly less, so Vas will go down a little and peak output potential will go down a little.

Also the behavior of the cone will be a little different.  The dust cap stiffens the cone slightly and changes the resonance behavior of the cone itself.

And the obvious...it's easier to get shit in the voice coil gap which could ruin the speaker.

Ok cool, I appreciate it. Since it will be powered off of the head unit I may just give it a shot till I order a new one. 

13 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Sd is lower

Thanks.

12 hours ago, bassahaulic said:

Will also lose most if not all cooling in the sub. 

Not a subwoofer but thanks.

Cooling in a mid can be more important than a sub.  Can is only because everyone has a tendency to drive them closer to their thermal limit.  Subs have tons of heat soak capability, not all mids do.

4 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Cooling in a mid can be more important than a sub.  Can is only because everyone has a tendency to drive them closer to their thermal limit.  Subs have tons of heat soak capability, not all mids do.

Just ordered a new one, no point in using it anymore then. Will probably sit around as a paperweight. Thanks again.