Cj the newbie

The Crossover Crossroads - Active or Passive

Hello! I really am looking forward to upgrading my car audio but have run into "crossroads". I would love to go the raw driver option, but I do not know or think I'm inclined enough to get an active crossover.. in your opinions, is it difficult? Or does it just take a lot of patience..I only ask because I have my eye on a Focal K2 Power 130 which would have it's passive crossover. Also have my eyes on jbl 670 GTIS component set. 

Everybody on here swears by the active set but I'm just gonna run components in front and coaxial's in the back it's easier for me but that just me. It's what I have always done and it sounds fine to me. I guess it just depends on what kind of system your going for.  

Its not to hard especially if you have an active capable head unit

Its not to hard especially if you have an active capable head unit

14 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

The understanding you need to run active you should also have if you install your own system.  There are very few adjustments you need to make in a 2 way, but it isn't trivial.  Taking the time to learn and plan and understand is huge, but the end result will destroy a comp set for even less budget.

Component sets are almost always a rip off.  There are lots on here to help...

I'm seeking to learn the knowledge you keep bringing up but I have no one personal to learn from, and forums can be generic and/or they are too focused on one thing to learn enough from. I want to learn how to do a proper set up. From location, wiring, baffles, speakers, deadening, etc. etc. Just trying to find something to get me there

Go to you tube and watch tutorials and read what experienced installers are doing not just people trying to sell you 20 year old designs with a new name put on it. Heck go to the JL site they go over this stuff in detail in there how to's so does crutchfield. Some really good info in there it won me some throphy's and that and first hand experience is how I learned. 

1 hour ago, Cj the newbie said:

I'm seeking to learn the knowledge you keep bringing up but I have no one personal to learn from, and forums can be generic and/or they are too focused on one thing to learn enough from. I want to learn how to do a proper set up. From location, wiring, baffles, speakers, deadening, etc. etc. Just trying to find something to get me there

That's great to hear, ask any questions you need?

What vehicle is this, will you get an active capable headunit such as a Pioneer 80PRS, or a processor such as a mini-dsp or jbl ms-8, what locations for speakers do you intend to use, any fabrication skills involved such as glassing doors/pillars, budget for mids and tweeters?

Just a few questions to get you started.

1 hour ago, Cj the newbie said:

What vehicle is this, will you get an active capable headunit such as a Pioneer 80PRS, or a processor such as a mini-dsp or jbl ms-8, what locations for speakers do you intend to use, any fabrication skills involved such as glassing doors/pillars, budget for mids and tweeters?

1 minute ago, jcarter1885 said:

2002 4runner I was going to get a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX budget is near limitless (in a sense) because I don't mind continuously saving until I have proper funds for quality products! Location is a blind area for me I was going to intensely research, and I wouldn't mind fabricating I would just have to buy the tools to do it, so preferably nothing extremely expensive. I wish I had more of a foot in the door in knowledge so I could ask more direct questions when it comes to things. 

19 minutes ago, Billy Jack said:

Go to you tube and watch tutorials and read what experienced installers are doing not just people trying to sell you 20 year old designs with a new name put on it. Heck go to the JL site they go over this stuff in detail in there how to's so does crutchfield. Some really good info in there it won me some throphy's and that and first hand experience is how I learned. 

Thank you, even if it seems silly that helped a lot! I didn't know where to start so I chose here hoping for something so that helps a lot!

I never said it was hard I just said it was easier for me because I already have my system. So going out and buying a processor then doing away with all the crossovers in place is what wouldn't make any sense to me since it's sounding great to me already. Yes I would get more power I don't need, yes I would get more flexibility I honestly don't believe I need, but ha it might sound better. Ow and I did try cutting the rears out, just out of curiosity and it just doesn't sound near as good. Less output and it threw off my soundstage. Now maybe if I went active it would have worked but without spending anymore money right now it's more then good enough for me. 

Unplugging your rears and hearing the stage get worse just means you have work to do on the fronts.  Plain and simple.  Fix that and retest and you will feel different.

As for where to start on the active front.  Whatever you do as a first timer make sure that you can change your settings easily and on the fly.  For this I generally would not recommend a processor but a headunit that has the controls built in.  It will allow you to fidget as necessary in real time.  I haven't run a headunit in nearly 6 years so not sure what is new.  In order to help the shopping experience, start digging for headunits that you like and post their crossover specs up here.

As a general rule of thumb only look at ones that allow you to Band Pass the mid. (ie needs a HP & LP at the same time).  I also for a new active install think that a graphic eq is easier than a parametric, but like everything in the car audio world there are compromises that can be made.

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Unplugging your rears and hearing the stage get worse just means you have work to do on the fronts.  Plain and simple.  Fix that and retest and you will feel different.

As for where to start on the active front.  Whatever you do as a first timer make sure that you can change your settings easily and on the fly.  For this I generally would not recommend a processor but a headunit that has the controls built in.  It will allow you to fidget as necessary in real time.  I haven't run a headunit in nearly 6 years so not sure what is new.  In order to help the shopping experience, start digging for headunits that you like and post their crossover specs up here.

As a general rule of thumb only look at ones that allow you to Band Pass the mid. (ie needs a HP & LP at the same time).  I also for a new active install think that a graphic eq is easier than a parametric, but like everything in the car audio world there are compromises that can be made.

This is the one I've been looking at. 

Screenshot_20160521-085827.png

I see nothing in there that shows it has crossovers for active.  Need specs on thr crossovers