Cj the newbie

Can I Make This Work?

Hello once again! I've had my eyes drooling (yes this makes no sense but roll with it) over a component set of JBL 670 GTi's. Though I ran into a problem. With my knowledge only beginning to spark in the car audio field I've been using Crutchfield as almost a cheat sheet in finding if something fits my vehicle, and they said this set would not, as well did the JBL site. Though their reasoning was only that the depth of the speaker was slightly off (refer to picture). Is this an easy to fix problem?? Or has the pooch been screwed?? Thank you to anyone who replies! 

Screenshot_20160520-191735.png

Yes you can make it work. .10 isn't hard to overcome I just did it recently myself. My JL C2 61/2's where just a little to big for the depth so I used a gasket to bring it out a little and it worked fine. As long as your just the least bit handy you can make that work. 

You should be making a baffle for the mids anyway so that would bring it out so you should be fine with them

You should be making a baffle for the mids anyway so that would bring it out so you should be fine with them

Thank you both! Especially since you have helped on multiple posts! 

Do either of you have a link or anything of the sort to guidelines for making a baffle? Or is it better to purchase, and if so a vouched for site? :)

1 hour ago, Billy Jack said:

Yes you can make it work. .10 isn't hard to overcome I just did it recently myself. My JL C2 61/2's where just a little to big for the depth so I used a gasket to bring it out a little and it worked fine. As long as your just the least bit handy you can make that work. 

A gasket is pointless ALL speakers SHOULD be mounted on a baffle.  Bolting anything to the stock sheet metal is an exercise in futility for decent sound.  It completely ruins good speakers.  A set of $1000 components mounted that way can easily sound worse than a set of $30 drivers mounted the right way.  Install, install, install.

As for can it fit, probably but you may be impeding on the door card.  I would pull it and mock up and see.  The bigger the baffle the better both in thickness and size.  And no, you can't buy one anywhere as you really should optimize each one for each install.

To be honest I wouldnt spent that much on a component set. Especially if your not going to be putting in alot of work to get the install right . Dont have to spend to much on drivers to sound really good

To be honest I wouldnt spent that much on a component set. Especially if your not going to be putting in alot of work to get the install right . Dont have to spend to much on drivers to sound really good

I don't mind putting in hours of work I just have to know how to do it if that makes sense. Fully willing just need to be shown the direction in which to walk.. if you know of any tutorials on making a baffle, or anything of the sort it would be greatly appreciated. 

Starting to think these guys are just messing with everyone. Yes you can buy baffles all day long, just go to sonic electronics they will send you all you want in two days plus the spacers, gaskets, or what ever M5 wants to call them. I litterely just did the same thing last night using a baffle, second skin, foam gaskets and a spacer  from sonic, sounds superb no vibration no nothing just crystal clear mid range. 

Edited by Billy Jack

8 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

Starting to think these guys are just messing with everyone. Yes you can buy baffles all day long, just go to sonic electronics they will send you all you want in two days plus the spacers, gaskets, or what ever M5 wants to call them. I litterely just did the same thing last night using a baffle, second skin, foam gaskets and a spacer  from sonic, sounds superb no vibration no nothing just crystal clear mid range. 

Your ignorance reeks of troll.  Either it is intentional or you really need to actually try something for once before you comment.

The bigger the baffle the better, the more mass the better, the more solid you can make your door the better.  

Give me a $100 budget for speakers and a $100 processor and a good install and it will DESTROY a $5,000 component set bolted in the stock mount.  Seriously, like not even in the same ballpark.  More than half your front stage budget should be in the install.  Deadener, CCF, MLV, Baffle, Clay or other mass, and of course doing whatever you need to help the aiming so that it is appropriate for what drivers you bought.

21 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Your ignorance reeks of troll.  Either it is intentional or you really need to actually try something for once before you comment.

The bigger the baffle the better, the more mass the better, the more solid you can make your door the better.  

Give me a $100 budget for speakers and a $100 processor and a good install and it will DESTROY a $5,000 component set bolted in the stock mount.  Seriously, like not even in the same ballpark.  More than half your front stage budget should be in the install.  Deadener, CCF, MLV, Baffle, Clay or other mass, and of course doing whatever you need to help the aiming so that it is appropriate for what drivers you bought.

Sound deadener showdown I believe is the company I'm getting my deadener from, I plan on doing my whole car for, never heard of using clay but something I'll look into as well. 

9 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

I might end up sharing that opinion, though this is my first time rehauling my sound system so I figure I might try to do all the bells and whistles and see if it is worth it in my opinion :) which is half the fun of learning!

to the origional poster......  you have choosen one of the best component sets period , now do some research

and work on those doors , there are a few decent build logs around that you can look at to get an Idea

what to do to properly deaden the doors and mount a baffle

I had 2 sets of these puppies in my last system ......  and as soon as the $$ allows they will be in my current install

to the origional poster......  you have choosen one of the best component sets period , now do some research

and work on those doors , there are a few decent build logs around that you can look at to get an Idea

what to do to properly deaden the doors and mount a baffle

I had 2 sets of these puppies in my last system ......  and as soon as the $$ allows they will be in my current install

Here's some examples of baffles. Both examples exceeded the depth behind the door card which required modifying it. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Or if you really want killer response building an enclosure will really do the trick. This is a .5cuft ported enclosure tuned to 65hz. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, altoncustomtech said:

Or if you really want killer response building an enclosure will really do the trick. This is a .5cuft ported enclosure tuned to 65hz. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is reallllyyyyyy helpful man thank you! Honestly pictures like that have been the best on getting me to understand...they both look sweet by the way.. I feel like your baffle pictures is asking the lines of what I'll have to do too!

yea you can buy the same baffles which I was just calling a spacer (I'm from the south) and everything to properly mount from sonic and I'm sure a few other websites, they may have them here on ssa not sure. But I like how he built that enclosure into the door that's dedication there I wish I had time do projects like that, maybe someday. Right now kid and business keep me stressed and running.

9 hours ago, Cj the newbie said:

This is reallllyyyyyy helpful man thank you! Honestly pictures like that have been the best on getting me to understand...they both look sweet by the way.. I feel like your baffle pictures is asking the lines of what I'll have to do too!

Thank you. A fair amount of work went into all of that, especially the build with the enclosures. Definitely at the bare minimum mount the speakers with baffles but since the typical factory location sucks for imaging the ones that showed the angled baffles might be an option for you.  My brother in law and I built those for his 1994 Dodge Stealth and the sound stage and image are superb.  As several others have stated, the installation is the most important aspect.  The better the installation is the better the results are no matter what speakers you end up using.

Also the clay he spoke of is non hardening modeling clay.  It's used to add mass (weight) to the door panel around where the baffles mount to the door.

5 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

yea you can buy the same baffles which I was just calling a spacer (I'm from the south) and everything to properly mount from sonic and I'm sure a few other websites, they may have them here on ssa not sure. But I like how he built that enclosure into the door that's dedication there I wish I had time do projects like that, maybe someday. Right now kid and business keep me stressed and running.

Thanks man, I decided to pull out all the stops I could with them. I still have a lot of work to finish doing to them but they are up and playing and YES, the results are worth every drop of sweat, blood and every dime spent to get it done.

Here is mine. I bought the wood ring at a local car audio shop. I don't have the tools to do it.

I still need to work on the doors.  I will buy everything from Sounddeadenershowdown or from secondskin.

A29F1256-B5CF-4C52-8C8A-A3B6D8F54D69.jpg

Mine looks very similar except I used the phone rings on the front and the back plus the little rubber pre made boxes I call them baffles not sure the exact name but that's what sonic had them listed as. The wood pieces where listed as spacers.