Sign in to follow this  
Sexual_Chocolate89

SI Mag enclosure info!!!!!! (asap)

I decided to go with 2 12" SI Mag but i have limited trunk space because i have a Civic. Does anyone think i could 2 mags in a ported box hittin to their full potetial, the box will be tuned to 32 Hz if that helps, in my Civic. Ive never built a box and im pretty new to car audio but i know someone who's gonna help me build the box.

How much space are you willing to sacrifice outa your trunk?

What are your listening preferences? Power level? Goal? You may find you don't need to vent and can get quite a bit of output while retaining some trunk space by going sealed.

If that's the case, then if you can fit 4 cubes and 48-60 square inches of vent, you'll be golden.

:+1: But if you can't give up over 4 cubes total (4 cubes after port and driver displacement) don't port them. The smaller vented enclosure recommendation is only for those who feel the NEED to port and don't have any room at all. 2 cubes after port and driver displacement is where it's at for a Mag 12 inch. If you can't give up over 4 cubes, go sealed...especially if you're enclosure building skills aren't polished.

Alright maybe i should have thought this the post out before asking for help because i dont know what cubes are and driver displacement you mentioned lost my to. Im new to car audio and i was going to go with a pre fab box but was told not too. I even went to Realm of Excursion to see if i could better understand how to build a box, like that helped. All this box crap is F*CKING confusing, i dont even know what tunning freq i should use or what a tunning freq is. O & i forgot to mention all the lil components that'll be in the trunk like the battery, capacitors, etc. :wacko:

Ok

1. Prefabs suck.

2. "Cubes" is slang for a cubic measurement. (feet x feet x feet, a measure of volume) 1 cube = 1 ft^3 = 1 cubic foot = 1728 in^3

3. Box building isn't really all that complicated once you look at the basics.

A sealed box is just a simple box with a hole in one side for the subwoofer. For a ported box, it is the same just with a vent for air to pass in and out of (the vent is calcuated to tune the box to a specific frequency (frequency is measured in hertz).

4. Driver displacement is just the amount of air that the subwoofer takes up in the box.

*hope this helps*

Edited by topgun

we can help you through the box build process, the more questions you ask the better, we have plenty of skilled builders on here that can help!

If you can glue and cut wood, you'll easily be able to build a sealed enclosure. I would HIGHLY suggest this for a starting point and for being your first enclosure.

If you give me some available dimensions of your trunk with some photos as well, I'll draw you up a plan and a cut sheet. Then you can simply do the work, and gain some experience, and if the sealed doesn't work for you, you can step up to a vented enclosure. Being you lack experience though, I would not advise you attemp a vented enclosure.