blowthemup

my zcon is done

To start off I would like to say I have had a love hate relationship with my 12" zcon from day one and also noticed from day one that the surround had a soft spot in it but never questioned it cause it seemed to play just fine. It sounds fantastic on a handful of songs but lacks to play a variety of music very well which they claim this woofer to not be a "one note wonder". I know your enclosure has a lot to do with things so I thought maybe the zcon needed a better home so I moved it from 3 cubes @ 30hz to 2.5 cubes @ 32hz. The new box made a big difference but after having it in its new home for a while I still had a love hate relationship and found it lacking on a lot of music.

I have recently pulled the system out of my car cause I just wasn't happy with it and decided I needed a change. Threw my amp up for sale and the box and woofer have just been sitting here in my room collecting dust the past few weeks. I then decided I was gonna keep my amp and closed the sale down on it literally today. I got tired of looking at my equipment collecting dust so I pulled the zcon from the box today to check everything out.

Lets say I was not happy with what I found...

Soft spot in surround is actually a crack on the underside of it and I found many other small cracks that you couldn't feel or notice from the top side. It looks as if some kind of glue was smeared on the underside of the surround which I assume once dried became stiff. Imagine what would happen if you smeared super glue on some cloth and tried flexing it, its probably not gonna work too well. The coil looks black all around, particularly like it had an internal short from the pictures I googled. I don't recall what it was looking like when I first bought it new but I know it should be shiny copper and not black.

Both coils measure out at 2 ohms like they always have, I don't abuse my equipment and everything was setup right as far as i'm concerned. I'm not trying to bash SSA but I feel like this thing wasn't right from day one or my amp isn't putting out clean power and this thing got toasted before she even got broken in. I'm not gonna blame anyone or hold anyone responsible but I am gonna have my amp checked out for safe measures.

Ill most likely send the zcon back to SSA for a recone but i'm unsure if ill run the zcon afterwards do to what I have seen and experienced. I have heard nothing but good about them and I feel like either I got a bunk woofer or my SAZ-2500D that I bought second hand that was suppose to be new which it sure as hell was flawless when I got it is putting out some dirty power. Maybe I got ripped on the amp but that still doesn't explain the surround being the way it is. Hopefully the amp will check out fine and I can find a new woofer or maybe give the zcon another try.

This is not a bash thread, i'm just shearing my experience with everyone and looking to see what others have to say or think. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to be detailed about my situation and seek advice from the fellow bass heads.

You get what you pay for, that's why I almost always run JL. All these discount dealers just use mostly the same parts for 90% of this stuff. Like the amps, they are the same amp with a different name etched on them.  I was looking at 3 amps the other day, and they where identical, it was the audio legion 3500, and I can't remember what the other two where but they are here on ssa to. When your sub was ordered they probably just grabbed some parts out of a giant bin. and slapped it together half ass. I myself made the mistake of buying a crescendo BC3500, now it's been months and I can't find or buy another to match it, so I will either have to eat a big loss, or run different amps. I will say one thing for my W7's, there all  designed and built different for there size, and not just a frankenwoofer built out of cheap spare parts for 3-4 sizes. Did you not notice most of these subs have the same motors from the 10 to the 15 inch? But even still some of them can do big numbers, but usually don't last, or sound like shit doing it. My last set of spl type subs lasted 6 months, and I have had my JL's for a few years now. They have already destroyed one car, and now working on the second. Yea I need dynomat I know, I'm working on it. But atleast these subs have reconesvso they can just super glue you another One together. Then six months or so down the road it will probably need another. Good thing there cheap it cost like $350 to have my dub 7 rebuilt.

Edited by Billy Jack

11 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

You get what you pay for that's why I almost always run JL. All these discount dealers just use mostly the same parts for 90% of this stuff. Like the amps they are they same amp with a different name etched on them.  I was looking at 3 amps the other day and they where identical it was the audio legion 3500 and I can't remember what the other two where but they are here on ssa to. When your sub was ordered they probably just grabbed some parts out of a giant bin and slapped it together half ass. I myself made the mistake of buying a crescendo BC3500 now it's been months and I can't find or buy another to match it so I will either have to eat a big loss or run different amps. I will say one thing for my W7's there all  designed and built different for there size and not just a frankenwoofer built out of cheap spare parts for 3-4 sizes. Did you not notice most of these subs have the same motors from the 10 to the 15 inch. But even still some of them can do big numbers, but usually don't last or sound like shit doing it. My last set of spl type subs lasted 6 months and I have had my JL's for a few years now. They have already destroyed one car and now working on the second. Yea I need dynomat I know I'm working on it. But atleast these subs have recones so they can just super glue you another One together. Then six months or so down the road it will probably need another. Good thing there cheap it cost like $350 to have my dub 7 rebuilt.

Your posts give me the giggles buddy. I literally don't have an insult for you that I think you'd be able to make sense of :)

Speakers are pretty simple, they do what they are told to do. That being said, I know I've blackened a few coils thinking I was still putting out clean power, but I'm a little hard on my equipment, I know this. I would say for sure get it reconed, and try it out on a different 2k, and see how it sounds. You most likely have, but have you tried different box orientations? Forward sounds cleanest  in my truck, up is loudest, and back is the quietest, but the easiest to blend with the mids. If you have the space, try it out.

The surround being gnarled is a bummer, I can't even imagine what happened, I can't say I've seen that in person. 

1 hour ago, SpeakerBoy said:

Your posts give me the giggles buddy. I literally don't have an insult for you that I think you'd be able to make sense of :)

Speakers are pretty simple, they do what they are told to do. That being said, I know I've blackened a few coils thinking I was still putting out clean power, but I'm a little hard on my equipment, I know this. I would say for sure get it reconed, and try it out on a different 2k, and see how it sounds. You most likely have, but have you tried different box orientations? Forward sounds cleanest  in my truck, up is loudest, and back is the quietest, but the easiest to blend with the mids. If you have the space, try it out.

The surround being gnarled is a bummer, I can't even imagine what happened, I can't say I've seen that in person. 

Why do you feel the need to insult anyone? Did I say one thing that isn't true. Please tell me you haven't never seen or heard of brand whoring before calling me dumb, cause I have seen plenty. And do you think a new sub should come with glue smered all over the bottom of the surround? Now the blowing of the sub probably was user error, no doubt but the glue was what I was mostly talking about.  Well that and how most of these subs will only have one size sub optimized for its size and the rest are just the same with bigger or smaller cones and soft parts. And I have nothing against this idea it's ok for a spl rig that needs to get by a little cheaper but if you want sq or reliability I would go another way. I have 2 team sundown 12's that I love they get nasty loud but don't have the sq of my JL's but there not supposed to I bought one set for sq and one for a spl build. And as far as the crescendo amp I stand but what I said their customer service sucks how can you only make a few amps here and there and make it almost impossible to buy one and stay in business. Hell even Arron here at ssa suggested I sell it and go with ampere or us acoustics. 

On 6/26/2016 at 3:15 AM, Billy Jack said:

You get what you pay for, that's why I almost always run JL. All these discount dealers just use mostly the same parts for 90% of this stuff. Like the amps, they are the same amp with a different name etched on them.  I was looking at 3 amps the other day, and they where identical, it was the audio legion 3500, and I can't remember what the other two where but they are here on ssa to. When your sub was ordered they probably just grabbed some parts out of a giant bin. and slapped it together half ass. I myself made the mistake of buying a crescendo BC3500, now it's been months and I can't find or buy another to match it, so I will either have to eat a big loss, or run different amps. I will say one thing for my W7's, there all  designed and built different for there size, and not just a frankenwoofer built out of cheap spare parts for 3-4 sizes. Did you not notice most of these subs have the same motors from the 10 to the 15 inch? But even still some of them can do big numbers, but usually don't last, or sound like shit doing it. My last set of spl type subs lasted 6 months, and I have had my JL's for a few years now. They have already destroyed one car, and now working on the second. Yea I need dynomat I know, I'm working on it. But atleast these subs have reconesvso they can just super glue you another One together. Then six months or so down the road it will probably need another. Good thing there cheap it cost like $350 to have my dub 7 rebuilt.

I am not sure where to start with this post.  I really hope you are not calling SSA a discount dealer, or our subs frankenwoofers.  Please please please tell me I am understanding you incorrectly and you are referring to something else.

On 6/26/2016 at 0:13 AM, blowthemup said:

To start off I would like to say I have had a love hate relationship with my 12" zcon from day one and also noticed from day one that the surround had a soft spot in it but never questioned it cause it seemed to play just fine. It sounds fantastic on a handful of songs but lacks to play a variety of music very well which they claim this woofer to not be a "one note wonder". I know your enclosure has a lot to do with things so I thought maybe the zcon needed a better home so I moved it from 3 cubes @ 30hz to 2.5 cubes @ 32hz. The new box made a big difference but after having it in its new home for a while I still had a love hate relationship and found it lacking on a lot of music.

I have recently pulled the system out of my car cause I just wasn't happy with it and decided I needed a change. Threw my amp up for sale and the box and woofer have just been sitting here in my room collecting dust the past few weeks. I then decided I was gonna keep my amp and closed the sale down on it literally today. I got tired of looking at my equipment collecting dust so I pulled the zcon from the box today to check everything out.

Lets say I was not happy with what I found...

Soft spot in surround is actually a crack on the underside of it and I found many other small cracks that you couldn't feel or notice from the top side. It looks as if some kind of glue was smeared on the underside of the surround which I assume once dried became stiff. Imagine what would happen if you smeared super glue on some cloth and tried flexing it, its probably not gonna work too well. The coil looks black all around, particularly like it had an internal short from the pictures I googled. I don't recall what it was looking like when I first bought it new but I know it should be shiny copper and not black.

Both coils measure out at 2 ohms like they always have, I don't abuse my equipment and everything was setup right as far as i'm concerned. I'm not trying to bash SSA but I feel like this thing wasn't right from day one or my amp isn't putting out clean power and this thing got toasted before she even got broken in. I'm not gonna blame anyone or hold anyone responsible but I am gonna have my amp checked out for safe measures.

Ill most likely send the zcon back to SSA for a recone but i'm unsure if ill run the zcon afterwards do to what I have seen and experienced. I have heard nothing but good about them and I feel like either I got a bunk woofer or my SAZ-2500D that I bought second hand that was suppose to be new which it sure as hell was flawless when I got it is putting out some dirty power. Maybe I got ripped on the amp but that still doesn't explain the surround being the way it is. Hopefully the amp will check out fine and I can find a new woofer or maybe give the zcon another try.

This is not a bash thread, i'm just shearing my experience with everyone and looking to see what others have to say or think. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to be detailed about my situation and seek advice from the fellow bass heads.

If you feel there is an issue with the Zcon, please email us directly so we can take care of said issue.  Zcon's have a stellar reputation for a reason, including world records.  So if there is an issue with the Zcon, we clearly want to make it right.  It is simply one of the best high power, high output subs on the market.  The coils on the Zcon's are dark.  Was the sub playing just fine before you pulled it?  Where is it lacking on music?  There should be no fear on running it again once reconed if that is what needs to be done.

On 6/26/2016 at 3:15 AM, Billy Jack said:

A zcon will blow away ANY pair of jl anything.  Get louder and lower and  sound better while doing so.. 

22 hours ago, SpeakerBoy said:

Honestly Arron, M5 had me so pissed I was just spuing bullshit. That guy can really get under my skin. I know ssa subs are awesome, but a few of these amps you guys sell are using some of the same parts, but that's to be expected coming from the same build house. I have actually seen some of the subs and Amps before the cases are exchanged and if I had $40k I could order 30 5k watt amps and call them Billy jacks. Now I have no idea where your stuff comes from but I know some of the cheaper company's do in fact use a lot of the same off the shelf parts but I'm assuming you guys don't. 

This thread blew up over on caraudio.com and I forgot to even check back here.

The subwoofer still plays just like it has for the past two years unless somewhere along the line something happened to it and it was still beast enough to chug along and make some bass but not at its full potential. It would be sad on my end if this zcon has only been limping along but still peasing me here and there. Ive had so many comments the past couple days over at caraudio.com that I don't really know what to think.

One thing I do know is it that it has always had a soft spot in the surround, noticed it the first couple times playing it but I didn't think anything of it cause it sounded decent and was doing the job of making bass. Took two years of listening and tried a different enclosure here recently to finally decide that something possibly wasn't right with it. Its always lacked the wow factor that one would expect from a zcon.

Maybe the damage occurred very early in its life and I never noticed the difference for some odd reason. If curiosity wouldn't have gotten the best of me then the system would still be in my car. I just had to question its capabilities do to what I have heard and seen in person which is hard to describe on these forums. Maybe I need to experiment with box size and tuning more to find the sweet spot, but at a minimum the surrounds condition isn't good and in need of replacement.

I tend to be on the perfectionist side of things and just because its still playing doesn't mean its ok to have a funky cracked up surround. I cant prove it was like this from its beginning days which is when the issue should have been addressed but you also have to question that subwoofers have a lot of variables subject to error. I'm not blaming myself or SSA, i'm taking into consideration the nature of car audio and also know that if this was my fault then it had to have occurred in its very beginning days cause the surround has been like this for a long time.

With all that being said, all I can do now is have it reconed or maybe do it myself and part ways in fear the zcon doesnt offer the sound i'm after. Or give it another run and hope for some better results with the ideal that this thing wasn't right from day one or damaged very early on in its life. From my understanding this should be a very pleasing subwoofer and be able to play a variety of music very well which right now I feel its not doing.

I plan on getting in touch with SSA very soon to see what they have to say. I believe do to the nature of car audio that theres not much they will do but i'm sure they will be more than happy to fix it up and get it back to me freshened up. I feel with a nice fresh subwoofer I should do everything possible to make sure she doesn't get damaged. I have considered sending my amp out to be tested just for safe measures but others think that is ridiculous.

IMG_20160626_172452363_zpsklooemxg.jpg

IMG_20160626_172408069_zpssf8rtazp.jpg

IMG_20160626_172339621_zpslgw7utsq.jpg

IMG_20160626_172544393_zpscf7i0mto.jpg

Edited by blowthemup

On June 26, 2016 at 3:42 PM, SpeakerBoy said:

:worthless:

That to me looks like dry rot from being in a hot car for a long time but I just seeing this on a tiny iPhone screen and can't see what you see. But if it's playing and sounds fine I would just over look it and beat it to death before I paid for a recone but I understand if you think it's not what it should be and you wanna make it a 100%. 

1 minute ago, Billy Jack said:
On 6/26/2016 at 3:42 PM, SpeakerBoy said:

That to me looks like dry rot from being in a hot car for a long time but I just seeing this on a tiny iPhone screen and can't see what you see. But if it's playing and sounds fine I would just over look it and beat it to death before I paid for a recone but I understand if you think it's not what it should be and you wanna make it a 100%. 

Somone over on caraudio.com said it looks as if its been hot and cold a lot. North Carolina has hot summers and reasonably cold winters but your should be able to leave your system in your car year round without issues I feel like.

You might have a good point about beating her up some more before doing a recone, glad you mentioned that.

Yea I'm not that far from you so we have about the same weather plus it's always humid as hell in the summer so it takes a toll on things. I'm glad I have my garage to keep mine in. Also keeps the meth monsters from knocking the window out and helping themselves. Even though I have a alarm there usually so tweaked out they don't even care here.