SpeakerBoy

Single twelve build - need ideas

I'm considering going to a single twelve to get my trunk back, and I'm having a very difficult time deciding on a driver for my application. I like the output of the BTL 18 I have and I am under the impression I can achieve similar output on a smaller driver because I've never even heard the Btl on more than 1500rms. There's a few too many options for me to pick from, I've been spinning in circles. If I'll have 7500rms on tap and anything from 1.5-2.5cu, what would be a woofer capabile of strong authoritative bass?

I'm looking at N2/N3 12's, Evil 12's, Team Sundown 12's but I have no clue how to pick one. Each is a significantly different price and I just want to make sure I'm making the  right decision. 

Willing to spend 1250 on a single driver if it'll get the job done. I will consider a fifteen if it's small box friendly =]

Does anyone within an hour of fort Wayne have a beefy 12 they'd be willing to demo?

Edited by SpeakerBoy

I have sundown team 12's in my trunk and I love them I just need more power their laughing at this single crescendo BC3500. I been trying to get another amp but they're always on back order. 

18" BTL will not be replaced by a 12"

21 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

I was afraid to hear that :( 

Before I part with the btl i guess I'll try 5.5cu @ 30hz with 120sqin of port. If that doesn't cut it, I'm going to do two xcons sealed. 

I just need the 16cube behemoth gone :/ 

21 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

I was afraid to hear that :( 

Before I part with the btl i guess I'll try 5.5cu @ 30hz with 120sqin of port. If that doesn't cut it, I'm going to do two xcons sealed. 

I just need the 16cube behemoth gone :/ 

Shit iv ran a couple setups with single 12s and you would forsure be impressed . Zcon 12. Btl 12 . .   I would love to try an evil 12. You can get pretty dam loud with a single 12

Shit iv ran a couple setups with single 12s and you would forsure be impressed . Zcon 12. Btl 12 . .   I would love to try an evil 12. You can get pretty dam loud with a single 12

Try a DD 9912 or 9512 those things can do crazy numbers and don't need to huge of a box. 

8 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

Try a DD 9912 or 9512 those things can do crazy numbers and don't need to huge of a box. 

Compared to an 18" BTL those are baby woofers.  Will be a HUGE step down.

It is really hard to replace all that cone area, nearly 3x in fact.  That and the BTL in general is a better choice for his application than the DD anyways.

Yes it's a lot of cone area to over come no doubt, but seeing as 9918z did 180db I can only assume it would be the 12" with the best shot at getting anywhere near it. 

6 hours ago, ///M5 said:

That was all installation, would have been real close with a BTL in similar optimal conditions.  That install obviously also sounded like crap...

Power is not the way to output, nor is some driver.  It is all install.  No matter what Speakerboy does replacing a driver with one that is close to 1/3 the Sd is not going to end up in comparable output across the frequency range.  If he wants a fart cannon, er one note wonder, to replace it then we could discuss but something musical no way.

Well he said he only had 1500 watts on the btl and would have 7k to run a 12 so I'm thinking with the right box, right install and a 9912Z it would be pretty close. He might have to go a little on the burp side of things but I have heard single sub setups that have done over 150db. Now I have never ran a btl but your right there is no replacement for displacement all you can do is try and see. I know one bad ass 12 or 15 would be all the bass anyone ever needs unless your competing. 

1 hour ago, Billy Jack said:

Well he said he only had 1500 watts on the btl and would have 7k to run a 12 so I'm thinking with the right box, right install and a 9912Z it would be pretty close. He might have to go a little on the burp side of things but I have heard single sub setups that have done over 150db. Now I have never ran a btl but your right there is no replacement for displacement all you can do is try and see. I know one bad ass 12 or 15 would be all the bass anyone ever needs unless your competing. 

loud is nice but it's useless to me if I can't play a wide range of music on it. I'm the dude that would wall my truck just to eQ it flat to 10hz.

What ever happened to Krytonite White?

1 hour ago, Billy Jack said:

loud is nice but it's useless to me if I can't play a wide range of music on it. I'm the dude that would wall my truck just to eQ it flat to 10hz.

Ow you could still play music but anytime your bass would hit all you would hear is a giant fart but atleast it will still shake everything almost as hard as a 18" btl in a enormous box. Lol I kid, I am kiding don't take any of that serious. But seriously  you could put a DD9915Z in a 3 cubic foot box and probably get real close to the 18. 

16 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

But seriously  you could put a DD9915Z in a 3 cubic foot box and probably get real close to the 18. 

Seriously not true you mean.  That would be a big step down in many ways.

Have you ever heard a DD 9915z on 7k watts? They move like a tazmanian devil on crack. And you gotta remember he said he never had the 18 powered with more the 1500watts so a 15 on almost 5 times the power has got to be pretty close. Or I think it would be anyways. The ones I heard got nasty loud ripping sheat metal and all.

Just grab a single 12 zcon and build a box that ssa recommends.  You will be amazed.  

2 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

Have you ever heard a DD 9915z on 7k watts? They move like a tazmanian devil on crack. And you gotta remember he said he never had the 18 powered with more the 1500watts so a 15 on almost 5 times the power has got to be pretty close. Or I think it would be anyways. The ones I heard got nasty loud ripping sheat metal and all.

It is irrelevant how loud one of the two is without the other.  The btl can take that amp as well.  

The math of power, cone area and output obviously allude you.

I never said the btl couldn't take that amp did I? I said he stated he was running a btl on 1500watts, and wanted to know what 12 or 15 on 7k could get close to it. And I suggested a DD9915Z would be close, not more, or equal, but CLOSE. So it seems my math isn't the problem, but your reading, and comprohension skills. Ow and cone area is not the end all be all of sound, I have had plenty of 12's, and 15's, from good name brand company's, that out hit cheaper less reputable 18's, not that I'm calling a btl a lesser sub, it's awesome no doubt, but similar output can be achieved without a 14foot box and a 18".

Edited by Billy Jack

On 6/27/2016 at 5:22 PM, SpeakerBoy said:

Off topic but I believe he died. 

Going with a 15 would be a nice compromise between output and space IMO. Depending on which model you have (guessing its the old UFO style) 3-5 cubes would be an optimal space saver while still retaining some great output. 

You could even make the box removable with some quick disconnects and some PA style spring loaded handles to make it easier, or you could go with an external port to save a little more box volume and still have some usable space.

53 minutes ago, Julian said:

Going with a 15 would be a nice compromise between output and space IMO. Depending on which model you have (guessing its the old UFO style) 3-5 cubes would be an optimal space saver while still retaining some great output. 

You could even make the box removable with some quick disconnects and some PA style spring loaded handles to make it easier, or you could go with an external port to save a little more box volume and still have some usable space.

This ufo18 is a loaner if I decide to stay BTL, I'll buy an N2 =]

Why is the n3 not recommended for music?

53 minutes ago, Julian said:

This ufo18 is a loaner if I decide to stay BTL, I'll buy an N2 =]

Why is the n3 not recommended for music?