SpeakerBoy

Single twelve build - need ideas

1 minute ago, ///M5 said:

You really need to stop being so aggressive, lol.  The speakers came with the boat.  Being they are exposed to the elements 8mo out of the year I haven't felt the huge urge to replace them.  They don't sound good, don't sound bad, the stage is a mess, but hell it is a wakeboard boat.  Most of my listening is from behind the boat with a huge noise source called a motor playing music as well. That being said, I did upgrade the JL sub to an SSA Xcon.

I've had a ton of JL stuff.  Not one single piece of it did I buy new however.  No way, no how.  Currently they are very far from my "want" list as well irregardless of price.  The w6 is truly great, the rest of what they make EASILY trumped by things much cheaper.

As for the dick comment, think what you like.  If you post nonsense I will call it out.  Welcome to the world of car audio, more misinformation than correct information and when you try to further propagate nonsense it won't fly here.  Shouldn't either.  Shame what has happened to the other audio forums over a buck or two.

I'm not trying to pass on any bad info, if I say something that is wrong it's because when I asked for the right answer all I got was another question or a smart ass comment so how is it we learn?  I have read and read and tried to learn as much as I could about the technical side of audio but some things I just don't understand and need it broke down for me. Really I don't care as much about brands as I do customer service and reliability and ever product I have had from Jl was top notch and lasted for years. And I can't say that for a lot of other brands. Now I'm not referring to ssa I know you guys also make good products to but some of the cheaper stuff just ain't worth buying to me. I don't care to pay for something but I want it to last and do what it's supposed to.  

I think part of this is not being able to understand someone's tone as its all in text and what might seem agressive to you, or smart ass to me, is really not but it just sounds that way in text. That and I'm new here and just don't know how to take you guys. I'm really not trying to mess with anyone and do wanna learn so I know what I'm doing. Or am I wrong and M5 is a dick. Lol

You're trying to learn, that is a good thing ! There are a few interesting books to read.

But don't forget it's music : you need to listen, to try some product.

When you say a BTL and a DD9500 are on the same level, musically, I smile : you never tried one of them.  :) 

Have fun !

You're trying to learn, that is a good thing ! There are a few interesting books to read.

But don't forget it's music : you need to listen, to try some product.

When you say a BTL and a DD9500 are on the same level, musically, I smile : you never tried one of them.  :) 

Have fun !

No I never said they where musical, I actually said there both equally i'll equipped to play music. One really know better then the other. 

14 hours ago, frogcase2002 said:

Why do you have such a big enclosure for that 18 anyway

I built this box before I had my Mountaineer, it was 14cu@26 for home theater and music, and only 500rms.

14 hours ago, frogcase2002 said:

Why do you have such a big enclosure for that 18 anyway

I built this box before I had my Mountaineer, it was 14cu@26 for home theater and music, and only 500rms.

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Which in turn says very loudly you've never heard either.  Lumping the BTL together of all formats is crazy as there are monstrous differences.

Simple way to take me, I am trying to help you learn by making you think.  Answering questions isn't teaching, but helping to understand how to answer the question yourself is.  If you want to learn this will be way faster.

You know the saying.  Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

That's cool. I just didn't know how to take you, I honestly just thought you where deliberately trying to piss me off, but after reading enough of these old post I can see that's not nessesarily true. I talk rather bold myself it's not that I'm an arseho or anything I'm just blunt and straight to the point. And as far as the btl DD thing im just assuming any sub that loud probably around 150db, isn't gonna be very sq oriented. I have always heard from everybody that there is no sound quality over 150db just really, really, loud music. But I guess just like amplifier head room you could turn it down and get sq honestly don't know.

1 hour ago, Billy Jack said:

That's cool. I just didn't know how to take you, I honestly just thought you where deliberately trying to piss me off, but after reading enough of these old post I can see that's not nessesarily true. I talk rather bold myself it's not that I'm an arseho or anything I'm just blunt and straight to the point. And as far as the btl DD thing im just assuming any sub that loud probably around 150db, isn't gonna be very sq oriented. I have always heard from everybody that there is no sound quality over 150db just really, really, loud music. But I guess just like amplifier head room you could turn it down and get sq honestly don't know.

The BTL sounds fantastic when you have the midbass to keep up with it's chunky goodness. Honestly, it even sounds palatable in full on hard clip like, it's so hard to mess with. I've never owned such a beastly driver before it and it's starting to dawn on me that I'm not even finding valid reasons to stray from it. It fits the niche. Five cubes on a few thousand more watts should hit the spot nicely, I'll even put in the elbow grease and mold it up against the wheel wells and back seat. 

When I stuffed the box and dropped it from 14 to 10cubes the response changed for the better, it sounds so much juicer. I'm going on a hunch that a nice small enclosure will bring that tight, dry bass I'm looking for.

2 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

The BTL sounds fantastic when you have the midbass to keep up with it's chunky goodness. Honestly, it even sounds palatable in clipping like, it's so hard to mess with. I've never owned such a beastly driver before it and it's starting to dawn on me that I'm not even finding valid reasons to stray from it. It fits the niche. Five cubes on a few thousand more watts should hit the spot nicely, I'll even put in the elbow grease and mold it up against the wheel wells and back seat. 

When I stuffed the box and dropped it from 14 to 10cubes the response changed for the better, it sounds so much juicier. I'm going on a hunch that a nice small enclosure will bring that tight, dry bass I'm looking for.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

What does fi call these subs now. I noticed on their site they don't have the btl anymore was it replaced with the team sub or the BL?

32 minutes ago, Billy Jack said:

What does fi call these subs now. I noticed on their site they don't have the btl anymore was it replaced with the team sub or the BL?

They don't, they transformed the line when Neo became god awful expensive.

The SP4 is supposed to be a more musical BTL and the Team more SPL focused.  

The SP4 is the current 3kw contender. I've heard mixed reviews on which is preferred but I do believe the SP4 is sealed friendly which the beetle isn't.

The SP4 is the current 3kw contender. I've heard mixed reviews on which is preferred but I do believe the SP4 is sealed friendly which the beetle isn't.

Way off topic, I am interested in the new JL DSP, and one of my favorite multi-channels is the JL Slash 500/5 perfect for a compact 3 way active (ala Miata).

1 hour ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Way off topic, I am interested in the new JL DSP, and one of my favorite multi-channels is the JL Slash 500/5 perfect for a compact 3 way active (ala Miata).

Yea JL made going active super easy. The DSP comes with a mic and it can set its self up automatically if your not familiar with how to do it yourself. Or if you are more inclined to do it yourself you can just hook it up to a pc and do it yourself. 

7 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

The BTL will be available soon. There are some prototypes being hammered on now. Scott is always evolving the sub lines.