Single twelve build - need ideas

59 minutes ago, Julian said:

Off topic but I believe he died. 

='[

59 minutes ago, Julian said:

Off topic but I believe he died. 

='[

8 hours ago, SpeakerBoy said:

Why is the n3 not recommended for music?

Stronger peak.  Contrary to what you said you wanted above.  Of course, so is the DD in that regard...

A DD is just as musical as a btl. Not that either are great for the task but one is no better at it then the other anyways.

30 minutes ago, Billy Jack said:

A DD is just as musical as a btl. Not that either are great for the task but one is no better at it then the other anyways.

I had a 12" BTL N2 in a 2.5 ft3 box, with kerfed port and all... It sounded very nice, and I was in the 139-140 db range (sealed on dash).

I sold it to a friend, he bought a new recone and a basket, and now it's a 15" sub : it's wayyyy louder ! No comparison possible. On quite the same power !
I can't even imagine an 18" BTL !

You can be loud with a 12" sub, but not as loud on music with the same sub in a much bigger size. NO WAY !

Going from a FI btl to a DD ? I tried that with a DD9515 : what a disappointment !
A DD is not as musical than a Fi/SSA/AA sub. Have you ever owned one of those subs ?

30 minutes ago, Billy Jack said:

I had a 12" BTL N2 in a 2.5 ft3 box, with kerfed port and all... It sounded very nice, and I was in the 139-140 db range (sealed on dash).

I sold it to a friend, he bought a new recone and a basket, and now it's a 15" sub : it's wayyyy louder ! No comparison possible. On quite the same power !

You can be loud with a 12" sub, but not as loud on music with the same sub in a much bigger size. NO WAY !

Going from a FI btl to a DD ? I tried that with a DD9515 : what a disappointment !
A DD is not as musical than a Fi/SSA/AA sub. Have you ever owned one of those subs ?

The SSA Evil is pretty musical in the right box. ;)

1 hour ago, Notorious97200 said:

Awesomeness. So I think the general consensus is to keep the 18 and rebuild to small optimum spec.

Under my hood there's a diagram with a footnote that says "BTL Catalyst" ill have to post a pic

1 hour ago, Notorious97200 said:

Awesomeness. So I think the general consensus is to keep the 18 and rebuild to small optimum spec.

Under my hood there's a diagram with a footnote that says "BTL Catalyst" ill have to post a pic

Ow no doubt keeping the 18" would be better but he wants his trunk back and a smaller box and sub. 

4 hours ago, Aaron Clinton said:

I agree 1000000%!

4 hours ago, Aaron Clinton said:

I agree 1000000%!

Why do you have such a big enclosure for that 18 anyway

9 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

Says the guy who wastes miney on JL lol.  

The n3 is nowhere near as musical as the n2 so what are you even trying to compare.

The DD is a fart monster and has no place in a musical setting.  Neither does the n3 btw.

Evil or team sundown

Edited by ludeman

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Says the guy who wastes miney on JL lol.  

The n3 is nowhere near as musical as the n2 so what are you even trying to compare.

The DD is a fart monster and has no place in a musical setting.  Neither does the n3 btw.

There's that JL hate I knew it. And I like JL I have been running their subs since the 90's. Ow and they hold a whole hell of a lot more titles then ssa. I actually like both brands but I'm smart enough to know JL is where ssa wishes they where now. And last time I checked DD had quiet a few titles their selves so to me it sounds like your talking out your ass. 

Quiet a few, nice.

I don't hate JL, just no interest in paying for their stuff new.  Am currently running 4 of their comp sets in one of my vehicles.

....if you think that is in a car, well then, ha, you don't know me.

46 minutes ago, Billy Jack said:

There's that JL hate I knew it. And I like JL I have been running their subs since the 90's. Ow and they hold a whole hell of a lot more titles then ssa. I actually like both brands but I'm smart enough to know JL is where ssa wishes they where now. And last time I checked DD had quiet a few titles their selves so to me it sounds like your talking out your ass. 

SSA has titles and World Records too.  Sure, I would love to be the size of JL, but we are a solid 15-20 years behind them in life span.

30 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Quiet a few, nice.

I don't hate JL, just no interest in paying for their stuff new.  Am currently running 4 of their comp sets in one of my vehicles.

....if you think that is in a car, well then, ha, you don't know me.

You where talking about yourself huh. You just said you owned JL so apparently your the guy wasting money on JL for your boat.

11 minutes ago, Aaron Clinton said:

SSA has titles and World Records too.  Sure, I would love to be the size of JL, but we are a solid 15-20 years behind them in life span.

Arron you seem like a real good guy, but why is M5 such a smart ass to people who are just trying to learn. I was always told there is no dumb questions just dumb answers. I have read pages and pages of this forum and it ain't just me he is a dick to almost everybody who doesn't agree with him. If someone doesn't agree with me I just say ok everybody has there own opinion. Does he just hate noobs or something.

Everyone does have their own opinion, yes. But there is opinion and fact. It seems like you blur the line between them to tickle your own ears and solidify what you believe. 

I also own some JL products(second hand subs) and they are collecting dust. New, JL is overpriced(in my opinion). You can do much better for the price if you know what to look for. The only reason I would sell my xcons would be to cross over to the evil side.

Edit: Sorry SpeakerBoy for getting off topic. Obvious consensus is that output will suffer by dropping that much cone area, no matter the sub if you are staying musical. Just need to figure out where and how much you want to compromise.

Edited by hdrox88

33 minutes ago, Billy Jack said:

You where talking about yourself huh. You just said you owned JL so apparently your the guy wasting money on JL for your boat.

You really need to stop being so aggressive, lol.  The speakers came with the boat.  Being they are exposed to the elements 8mo out of the year I haven't felt the huge urge to replace them.  They don't sound good, don't sound bad, the stage is a mess, but hell it is a wakeboard boat.  Most of my listening is from behind the boat with a huge noise source called a motor playing music as well. That being said, I did upgrade the JL sub to an SSA Xcon.

I've had a ton of JL stuff.  Not one single piece of it did I buy new however.  No way, no how.  Currently they are very far from my "want" list as well irregardless of price.  The w6 is truly great, the rest of what they make EASILY trumped by things much cheaper.

As for the dick comment, think what you like.  If you post nonsense I will call it out.  Welcome to the world of car audio, more misinformation than correct information and when you try to further propagate nonsense it won't fly here.  Shouldn't either.  Shame what has happened to the other audio forums over a buck or two.

The sad part is my response would help you learn faster than any other reading you are doing.  You just need to take the initiative to want to follow through.  It isn't hard to try to answer the questions I ask, just takes some thought.  Exactly what it takes to avoid needing to ask someone again when the topic re-occurs as you will understand exactly how to determine the answer.

Go read Speakerboy's early posts.  He had a really tough learning curve, but was also rather young. Definitely growing and learning like crazy, but doing so through trying.