bassahaulic

Got some new SQ goodies for the new SPL Build.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS
Helix DEP PRO

QTrKkBT.jpg

:woot:

That's badass,, is it necessary to have a dsp even tho you have a dsp built in on the pioneer? I have the same radio and I wonder sometimes If It would be worth investing in a dsp?

On 6/28/2016 at 2:46 AM, Liro213 said:

That's badass,, is it necessary to have a dsp even tho you have a dsp built in on the pioneer? I have the same radio and I wonder sometimes If It would be worth investing in a dsp?

DSP gives you even more control, especially one of this caliber. The ability to control every detail with a PC makes it easier. 

I have a 3Sxity.3 in my 87 Mazda and Cobra. And now this for the Nitro. I love them. 

Very cool.

8 hours ago, bassahaulic said:

DSP gives you even more control, especially one of this caliber. The ability to control every detail with a PC makes it easier. 

I have a 3Sxity.3 in my 87 Mazda and Cobra. And now this for the Nitro. I love them. 

Very tempting, i just don't know which one I'd like to invest into. Which one of the 2 would you say is the easiest to work with in your opinion?

52 minutes ago, Liro213 said:

Very tempting, i just don't know which one I'd like to invest into. Which one of the 2 would you say is the easiest to work with in your opinion?

The new JL audio DSP is nice it comes with 3 levels of tuning from beginner to pro. I think I'm gonna go active and get myself one since they made it so easy.

3 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

The new JL audio DSP is nice it comes with 3 levels of tuning from beginner to pro. I think I'm gonna go active and get myself one since they made it so easy.

Are you talking about the tWk 88 model? I just googled it, I'm not sure what model you're referring to?

Yep that's it the twk 88 and twk d8. If someone isn't familiar with tuning a active system, they can just pop in the tuning cd and it gives you the step by step setup procedure. 

Edited by Billy Jack

Step by step, automatic, all are fails.  So is the limited 10band eq.  When they are on the used market for $150 the JL proc will be an okay compromise, but until then I'd rather not.  

45 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Step by step, automatic, all are fails.  So is the limited 10band eq.  When they are on the used market for $150 the JL proc will be an okay compromise, but until then I'd rather not.  

Yeah for 400$ and a 10band Eq its not that attractive. Rather spend the extra $ and get the Rockford. Not that I have any clue what any of these dsps are capable of sounding like. but reading up on the helix it sounds promising.

Hell for the $400 price tag on the JL unit even the Soundstream Harmony/PPI 88R look like a better option and for half the price. They're a great DSP for beginners in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

80 bands not 10. It has 8, 10 band eq's for a total of 80. 

1 hour ago, Billy Jack said:

Um, the rockford has something like 32 bands per channel, at 8 channels.

8 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

Perhaps some experience with tuning would help here.  Your 80 bands give you 2 graphic eq per tweet in REALLY crappy frequency locations.  Absolutely useless.

They monstrously failed on the eq side. 

And yes, I do realize there is also a parametric eq but we were discussing use for noobs and that functionally doesn't mix.

For $100 the miniDSP KILLS it in capability.  Obviously only 4 channels then, but if you were comparing to the JL's 8's you could just run the sub in parallel with no eq and headunit crossover and have the exact same results as the JL proc.  That is lame.

Yea I have never used a DSP so I'm a little ignorant on the subject. My experience with equalization goes up to electronic crossovers of the 90's and honestly I didn't exactly know what I was doing then I mostly played with them until I got the sound I wanted and called it a day. My eq curves usually ended up looking like a U on the settings that's where I always found the best sound. Some of it I do understand though like time alignment you set it to have all speakers reach your ear at the same time or atleast that's how I understood it. I have been reading up on the subject some trying to figure it out. 

8 bands is generally enough but ONLY if they are the right 8 bands.  In the case of the JL the graphic bands are nowhere near in useful locations.

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

8 bands is generally enough but ONLY if they are the right 8 bands.  In the case of the JL the graphic bands are nowhere near in useful locations.

So would it be safe to say a mini dsp does a better job then the onboard dsp and Eq the pioneer offers?

the 80 prs does a good job on it's own in network mode.... I ran one for 3 years and stuck it in the wifes car when I got the P99RS

the 80 prs does a good job on it's own in network mode.... I ran one for 3 years and stuck it in the wifes car when I got the P99RS

1 hour ago, Thumpper said:

yeah I'm running mines on network mode, and I like it. But sometimes my mind wonders "what if" I had a more upscale dsp? Which was my first question, is it worth buying a more upscale dsp. 

Yea I miss my alpine that had all the time alignment and eq adjustments. I can't remember what the number on it was but at the time it was the most expensive model  alpine sold. Now I have the 137bt it's ok but doesn't have the equalization my old one had. I want to go active but I'm about afraid I would make it sound worse then my passive system instead of better. But then again if your gonna learn and grow you gotta take a leap of faith some times. At tax time in gonna get a real outboard amp for my highs and mids and maybe a mini DSP or I might try the JL just to keep everything matching. Ain't made my mind up yet I'm pretty happy right now but would like a little more oomph. 

41 minutes ago, Liro213 said:

yeah I'm running mines on network mode, and I like it. But sometimes my mind wonders "what if" I had a more upscale dsp? Which was my first question, is it worth buying a more upscale dsp. 

I tried a few DSP's..... got an Audison Bit One sitting on the floor of my closet collecting dust....

it added a slight noise floor to the 80PRS and really I gained nothing

sometimes more is not better

41 minutes ago, Liro213 said:

I tried a few DSP's..... got an Audison Bit One sitting on the floor of my closet collecting dust....

it added a slight noise floor to the 80PRS and really I gained nothing

sometimes more is not better