Sign in to follow this  
trentonc24

SPL with RL-P 15

Is the RL-P a good speaker to use in a SPL competition? I need some information about what size box and port area I need to use. Thanks alot

I think a few people have put it in a 3.5 cube box and tuned in the mid 30's

Depending on the cost of recone and if Nick at IA ever gets me DP soft parts i may contact Nick at SS about RL-P soft parts. Ill have to run through some specs and do some modleing first though.

Eh, I don't see the RL-p as a SPL competitor. It's more of a LSQ. But anywho, I metered 137 dB sealed, with 300 watts (at that time) on the new TL mic.

The mic was placed in the passenger kick, driver door cracked open, engine running.

I'm guessing this means its not the best choice for SPL?

They are very good SQ drivers that happen to get loud. They were not designed with a db# in mind but a handful of people use them in SPL comp installs and super loud daily drivers.

Alright well thanks alot. I guess I'll just do my best with what little knowlege I have. I've competed in comps before using SPL speakers, and did pretty well. I just don't have any SPL speakers, so I'm stuck with using the RL-p, I'm still a newbie at the SPL thing, however I'm hoping to do decent. I guess I'm gonna go with a box tuned to my resonant frequency, about 2.5 Cf and with 30-35 sq in of port. Thanks for the help.

You do not want to tune to your resonant frequency... since the peak of the box usually occurs approx. 10-15 Hz after the tuning frequency. In your case, I would tune to around 35-40Hz.

Alright well thanks alot. I guess I'll just do my best with what little knowlege I have. I've competed in comps before using SPL speakers, and did pretty well. I just don't have any SPL speakers, so I'm stuck with using the RL-p, I'm still a newbie at the SPL thing, however I'm hoping to do decent. I guess I'm gonna go with a box tuned to my resonant frequency, about 2.5 Cf and with 30-35 sq in of port. Thanks for the help.

there are people here that can help with the designs or tuning if you want

Alright thanks for that tip, I'll probably tune it around 40 hz, because it seems to start getting louder at 45-55. Thanks alot for that tip.

if you can post pix of your install!

Hi!

I did 144.4dB with one RL-p 15 (dual 2 ohm) in a '97 Honda Civic HB.

The box was tuned to ca. 34-35Hz and was about 2,5cuFt. The ports were only two 3" aeroports! :)

I gave it roughly 6-700 watts RMS when I measured it.

Oh, btw, this was on a TermLab with the new mic mounted on the windshield, passenger side, windows and doors closed and engine off. By the book, measured at the Norwegian dB-champion's garage. :)

The peak result of 144.4dB was at 52-53Hz, so if I had tuned my box higher with bigger ports I might have gained another 2-3dB easily.

Have a few pics of the install, but no idea on how to get them in here...

- Jan Rune, Norway

Sweet - will try it when I get the internet at home again. I've been moving and everything, and I can't get the internet for some reason.

Now I'm at work :D

Thats awesome, so maybe I will be able to reach my goal of 147. I have pretty much the same setup and wattage and speaker as you, but mines a dual 4 ohm. I'll have a higher tuned box and it'll be in a integra hatch instead of a civic hatch, plus I have a load of sound deadening. Thanks alot

thats a great number for a lower tuned box